Deal.ii insttallation issues

Malik Tahiyat

Apr 9, 2020, 4:38:52 AM4/9/20
to deal.II User Group
I was trying to follow this command in READ me section (after downloading and unpacking the dealii-9.1.1.tar.gz to set install directory of deal.II
  cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/path/to/install/dir ../deal.II

i had changed it to cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/projects/deal.II/

However, everytime I got the following error
CMake Error: The source directory "/home/malik/projects/dealii-9.1.1/build" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.

The only way it worked was if i added two dots after the command:
$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/projects/deal.II/ ..

But then, the installation does not happen in the deal.II directory. THe program is installed in ~/projects/dealii-9.1.1/build
THe deal.II folder stays empty

ANd of course i face the error
  *** Could not locate a (sufficiently recent) version of deal.II.  ***

  You may want to either pass a flag -DDEAL_II_DIR=/path/to/deal.II to cmake

  or set an environment variable "DEAL_II_DIR" that contains this path.

I am fairly new to linux. Can you please say what is happening wrong here?

I will be obliged.

Bruno Turcksin

Apr 9, 2020, 9:50:58 AM4/9/20
to deal.II User Group
Hi,

To install deal.II, you need to first compile it using `make` which probably happens in ~/projects/dealii-9.1.1/build and then it needs to be installed using `make install`. That second step should move the important files to /home/projects/deal.II It looks to me that you forgot this second step.

Best,

Bruno

Timo Heister

Apr 9, 2020, 11:34:53 AM4/9/20
to deal.II User Group
Malik,

There is three different directories at play:
1. build directory (this is where you run cmake in)
2. the source directory (this is the deal.II download and contains
CMakeLists.txt and source/ include/, etc.)
3. the install directory

All three directories can be anything you want. For example I might use:
1. ~/dealii-9.1.1/build/
2. ~/dealii-9.1.1/
3. ~/dealii-9.1.1-installed/

In that case I would:
mkdir ~/dealii-9.1.1/build/
cd ~/dealii-9.1.1/build/
cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/dealii-9.1.1-installed/ ~/dealii-9.1.1/
make -j 4
make install

If that doesn't work for you, tell us exactly what command you run in
which directory.

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 4:38:52 AM UTC-4, Malik Tahiyat wrote:
Message has been deleted

Malik Tahiyat

Apr 9, 2020, 2:24:43 PM4/9/20
to deal.II User Group
Timo,

Thaks for your reply.

I did the exact same thing you asked.
It gives an error:

CMake Error: The source directory "/home/malik/dealii-9.1.1" does not exist.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.

when I run the following line: cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/dealii-9.1.1-installed/ ~/dealii-9.1.1/

in this directory: ~/dealii-9.1.1/build/

But the directory exists!!

How do I solve this error?

Malik Tahiyat

Apr 9, 2020, 2:34:13 PM4/9/20
to deal.II User Group
Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your reply. But the step:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/path/to/install/dir ../deal.II

comes before the 'make' step, right?

I am getting the issue while running the aforementioned command that wither the source directory does not contain CMakelist or the source directory does not exist.

In the code sequence:

1. mkdir ~/dealii-9.1.1/build/
2. cd ~/dealii-9.1.1/build/
3. cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/dealii-9.1.1-installed/ ~/dealii-9.1.1/
4. make -j 4
5. make install

I get the error : "Make Error: The source directory "/home/malik/dealii-9.1.1" does not exist." in step 3

Any help is appreciated

Bruno Turcksin

Apr 9, 2020, 2:50:00 PM4/9/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Le jeu. 9 avr. 2020 à 14:34, Malik Tahiyat
<malik.ta...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I get the error : "Make Error: The source directory "/home/malik/dealii-9.1.1" does not exist." in step 3
Does "/home/malik/dealii-9.1.1" contain a CMakeLists.txt file?

Bruno

Malik Tahiyat

Apr 9, 2020, 4:27:39 PM4/9/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Yes it does.

Bruno Turcksin

Apr 9, 2020, 5:18:54 PM4/9/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if there is a problem because of the . in the directory name.
Can you try to rename the directories?

Le jeu. 9 avr. 2020 à 16:27, Malik Tahiyat
<malik.ta...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Yes it does.
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, 2:49 PM Bruno Turcksin <bruno.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Le jeu. 9 avr. 2020 à 14:34, Malik Tahiyat
>> <malik.ta...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>> >
>> > I get the error : "Make Error: The source directory "/home/malik/dealii-9.1.1" does not exist." in step 3
>> Does "/home/malik/dealii-9.1.1" contain a CMakeLists.txt file?
>>
>> Bruno
>>
>> --
>> The deal.II project is located at http://www.dealii.org/

Malik Tahiyat

Apr 9, 2020, 5:27:04 PM4/9/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
I did try it actually before. Still no results.

I am very confused what the problem is. The issue happens with the install prefix line.

Bruno Turcksin

Apr 9, 2020, 5:55:15 PM4/9/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
I have you tried writing the full path instead of using ~ I am not
sure CMake knows how to expand it.

Le jeu. 9 avr. 2020 à 17:27, Malik Tahiyat
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dealii/CAA_-CQZ7rb8%3D1pKKgQZLYDjTusSmMm_viERMNBP8z1THihObOg%40mail.gmail.com.

Wolfgang Bangerth

Apr 9, 2020, 5:59:15 PM4/9/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 4/9/20 3:26 PM, Malik Tahiyat wrote:

> I am very confused what the problem is. The issue happens with the install
> prefix line.

Start from scratch. Delete the directory that you are currently working in,
copy the .tar.gz file, and then write down *every* command you issue and error
you get as a result. Then show us this list of commands + errors. Maybe one of
us will see what the problem is!

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Malik Tahiyat

Apr 9, 2020, 10:56:48 PM4/9/20
to deal.II User Group
Dear Professor Bangerth,

Thank you very much for your reply. Removing all and redoing everything definitely did the trick. Everything seems to work now.

I only did the following changes though I am not sure how useful they are:
1. I used tar xvf instead of gunzip & tar
2. while naming directory using home/projects/deal_installed was giving an error. Shifting to ~/projects.deal_installed had success

Thank you so much everyone for your kind support.