al...@drtc.isibang.ac.in

Feb 20, 2017, 11:55:11 PM2/20/17
to Dataverse Users Community

I have following queries
1. Purpose of 'link search'
2. How to use 'link search'

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Feb 21, 2017, 9:56:06 AM2/21/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi there,

We wrote about this in our documentation a bit here:

Our original use case for this experimental feature was:

"A user has done a search, the results of which are relevant to their research, so the user would like to add these dynamic search results to their dataverse."

Please let me know if you have some specific questions!

Philip Durbin

Feb 27, 2017, 9:45:29 AM2/27/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the GUI calls it "Link Search" but it's documented as "Saved Search". We should probably fix this. :)

It looks like http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.6/user/find-use-data.html#saved-search simply links to the Native API doc Danny already linked to.

Saved Search allows you to automate the "Link Dataverse" and "Link Dataset" features. If you can express the links you want to make as a query and want them to run periodically, you might want to play around with Saved Search. Unfortunately it's a superuser only feature right now, mostly because there's no way via the GUI or API to unlink* a dataverse or dataset. This area of the code still needs work, as the many linked issues from the Native API Guide indicate. Here's a handy link again to what's written there:

http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.6/api/native-api.html#saved-search

I hope this helps!

Phil

* https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1364

Zhimomi Alovi

Mar 1, 2017, 1:28:34 PM3/1/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes this has been quite helpful. Thank you.  I have read the documentation and tried the 'link search'. But i don't see the difference with 'link dataverse' other then the approach ie 'link search' we search with a keyword and based on that link the dataverse. And yes the saved search is all over in dataverse.org and in github too, but it didnt indicate that it is a 'link search' feature.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 9:56 AM, <danny...@g.harvard.edu> wrote:
Hi there,

We wrote about this in our documentation a bit here:

Our original use case for this experimental feature was:

"A user has done a search, the results of which are relevant to their research, so the user would like to add these dynamic search results to their dataverse."

Please let me know if you have some specific questions!

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 11:55:11 PM UTC-5, al...@drtc.isibang.ac.in wrote:

I have following queries
1. Purpose of 'link search'
2. How to use 'link search'

Philip Durbin

Mar 1, 2017, 1:38:50 PM3/1/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad it was helpful. I'm not sure if you're asking a follow up question or not. Something about a difference? If so, please restate it. Thanks!

Zhimomi Alovi

Mar 1, 2017, 1:45:44 PM3/1/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
ok. Here is my query. In 'link dataverse' or 'link dataset' we select a particular dataset/dataverse and link to another dataverse. what i observed in 'link search' is that we search with a keyword then the link search allows to link with a specific dataverse/dataset. i can only notice an difference in approach so please correct me if there is a different functionality. Something like a repeated search was mentioned in earlier response. i hope i am clear with my query

Philip Durbin

Mar 2, 2017, 8:53:34 AM3/2/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I think you understand the functionality pretty well. Obviously, it needs to be better documented! The destination is always a dataverse. You're always including more stuff into a dataverse. All the new stuff that's included after linking has a little chain icon next to it to indicate that the dataset or dataverse really belongs to some other place in the tree but you can see it elsewhere because it has been linked. I hope this helps.

Phil

Zhimomi Alovi

Mar 5, 2017, 12:56:42 PM3/5/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com