Introducing IBICT's Dataverse

Miguel Ángel Márdero Arellano

Nov 20, 2015, 7:18:00 AM11/20/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello, I am the Coordinator of the Brazilian Digital Preservation Services Network, Cariniana at IBICT and I would like to introduce the research data repository DATAVERSE at our Institution  http://repositoriopesquisas.ibict.br.
The network Cariniana (http://cariniana.ibict.br) is funded entirely by the Brazilian government and in particular by MCTI (Ministério da Ciência, Tecnologia e Inovação). It is a project for long-term preservation of scientific publications in Brazil. The main focus concerns the open access journals published in Brazil. In a second phase, which is about to begin, it will proceed with the preservation of the doctoral thesis. The third phase will cover the scientific data to be deposited in a research data repository. The experimental phase lasted a year (2013). The network uses the open source LOCKSS and it is made today from 9 nodes: besides IBICT, 8 other institutions. There are 636 eJournals preserved and 84 institutions are served by the network from universities and research centers in Brazil.
In that context, the release of our Dataverse Network will adds significant new services to our digital preservation network that will help specialized libraries staff to deal with the demand from researchers for a trusted space for their datasets. IBICT is making available a repository for research data to provide a freely available means to deposit and discover specific datasets that are being archived by researchers of participating organizations. There are currently two participants, IBICT and the University of Brasilia and we are starting to open that space for all the partners’ institutions of our Digital preservation Private Local Network Cariniana.  Thank you!

Philip Durbin

Nov 20, 2015, 8:54:59 AM11/20/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Welcome! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself!

It was nice chatting with you at http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse/2015-11-20 and as I mentioned we'll update http://dataverse.org to put a dot for IBICT on the map! I put a reminder at https://trello.com/c/gwp7Hk8W/2-add-universities-to-google-map

Thanks for installing Dataverse!

Phil

Miguel Ángel Márdero Arellano

Dec 8, 2015, 6:46:40 AM12/8/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi,
I am the coordinator of the Brazilian Digital Preservation Services Network and we are working with Dataverse for our institutions memebers.

 Last 20th of November I talked with Peter Durbin by the IRC about  putting a dot of our dataverse installation on the Dataverse Map.

Would you please tell us what we need to do to be part of teh Dataverse community?

Thank you very much

Miguel Angel Mardero Arellano
CARINIANA network
Skype: miguel.ibict

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Miguel Ángel Márdero Arellano <gemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Sonia Barbosa

Dec 8, 2015, 10:19:38 AM12/8/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miguel:
Thanks again for the email. In terms of adding you to the dataverse.org website "map," as Phil mentioned, this will happen as soon as the new page is completed.
Of course you can also join our github community:  https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse
and you can chime into the google community issues as you like. It's also a great place to ask questions about the software and discuss feature needs.
We are tentatively planning out Dataverse Community Meeting for 2016 so you should keep an eye out for that notice in the coming months.
Is there any other way you would like to become involved in the Community?

Best

Sonia

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Miguel Ángel Márdero Arellano <gemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Elizabeth Quigley

Dec 9, 2015, 12:08:24 PM12/9/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Miguel,

Apologies for only adding the IBICT Dataverse to the map on dataverse.org today. You are able to see it now on http://dataverse.org/. I added a description from your original post into the dot on the map but please let me know if you would like that to say something different. Additionally, if you have a logo or image you would like to have associated with your dot, please send it my way and I can add that in.

Welcome to the Dataverse Community!

Cheers,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Quigley

User Experience Lead

The Institute for Quantitative Social Science

Harvard University

www.iq.harvard.edu/

equi...@iq.harvard.edu

Miguel Ángel Márdero Arellano

Dec 9, 2015, 2:04:55 PM12/9/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for writing. We are very happy to be on the Dataverse world!.
I just want to ask you a little change: the dot must be  at the center of Brazil, our city is Brasilia, the capital.
I am sending our logo...
We have a lot of questions but We will be sending  them to Dataverse team slowly!

Thank you again for your help!

Miguel

Miguel Ángel Márdero Arellano
MCTI - Ibict
Coordenador da Rede Brasileira de Serviços de Preservação Digital
CARINIANA
(61) 3217-6144
Skype: miguel.ibict

CARINIANA.png

Elizabeth Quigley

Dec 9, 2015, 2:36:36 PM12/9/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Miguel,

I have updated the location of the dot to be Brasilia, thanks for letting me know! I'll add the image once you send it to me.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Quigley

Dec 9, 2015, 2:42:36 PM12/9/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Miguel! Didn't see the image attachment. Adding it now to the map.

Miguel Ángel Márdero Arellano