Looking for PMGSY core road network shp or kml/kmz

Rick Morgan

Aug 1, 2015, 5:49:47 PM8/1/15
to datameet
Hello,

I hope everyone is well. I am a PhD candidate in need of help.

My project focuses on the impact of road development in rural areas. I am in need of the core road network *.kml or *.shp files for Bihar and/or Assam(or all of India, but I am most in need of data for these states).
Does anyone have an idea where I might find these data? I have looked all over the internet and cannot find these files....

I am working on digitizing post-delim ACs and am willing to trade these data (and others) for help on this.

Sajjad Anwar

Aug 3, 2015, 1:56:49 AM8/3/15
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hey Rick -

Have you tried extracting road network from OpenStreetMap?
It's pretty comprehensive. For instance, here are all the primary
roads around Bangalore http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/aKm

Cheers,
Sajjad
> --
> ---

Sajjad Anwar http://geohacker.in

Arun Ganesh

Aug 3, 2015, 2:11:13 AM8/3/15
to datameet
Rick you can also download OSM shapefiles for India directly from http://download.geofabrik.de/asia/india.html
If you find missing roads, just add them to OSM and you will have the updates shapefiles the next day.
Arun Ganesh

Rick Morgan

Aug 3, 2015, 9:03:20 AM8/3/15
to data...@googlegroups.com

Sajjad and Arun,

Thanks for your replies. I have looked into using OSM as a source, but I need accurate temporal data. As OSM is user generated, changes to the map do not necessarily represent the actual date of construction. Changes are only recorded when a user notices a road has changed, and because PMGSY is a rural program, these road (most of which are under 1km) are often not recorded.

But maybe I'm missing something. I'll look into it again. Maybe I'll write a grant to hire some folks to go through these OSM files and match them to the 1+ lakh PMGSY projects.

Again, thanks for your input.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.

Arun Ganesh

Aug 3, 2015, 1:31:40 PM8/3/15
to datameet
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Rick Morgan <rick.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sajjad and Arun,

Thanks for your replies. I have looked into using OSM as a source, but I need accurate temporal data. As OSM is user generated, changes to the map do not necessarily represent the actual date of construction. Changes are only recorded when a user notices a road has changed, and because PMGSY is a rural program, these road (most of which are under 1km) are often not recorded.

But maybe I'm missing something. I'll look into it again. Maybe I'll write a grant to hire some folks to go through these OSM files and match them to the 1+ lakh PMGSY projects.

Again, thanks for your input.

Your best best bet is to approach the Govt, and I can imagine them wanting the same thing as what you are looking for. Welcome to the land where GIS work is done in MS Excel :) Good luck on your project.

--
Arun Ganesh

Rick Morgan

Aug 3, 2015, 2:13:03 PM8/3/15
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Arun,

I already have people looking into this possibility, but the initial prospects look bleak. I know that these files (shp and/or kml) exist, as I have seen a new state .nic websites that utilize these data in one form or another (on Bihar's website, there are beautiful pdf maps that came from shp files). Sadly, they are tightfisted with access. I might have to download all of the pdf maps I can find and convert them.... This is something that I am trying to avoid.

Respectfully,

Rick Morgan
PhD candidate
Department of Political Science
Emory University

Imran Khan

Aug 11, 2018, 7:59:28 PM8/11/18
to datameet
Dear All
how can i join this group??

GALEN PATRICK MURRAY

Aug 13, 2018, 7:06:08 PM8/13/18
to datameet
Hi Rick,

Have you tried reaching out to Nisith Prakash? I know he used some PMSGY data (not exactly what you're looking for) but more importantly I believe he might have some connections higher up in the Bihar government. Good Luck!

Manvendra Singh

Aug 14, 2018, 1:02:45 AM8/14/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
You may also get in touch with Prof Shilpa Agarwal at ISB. She has a paper on PMGSY.

Cheers

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "datameet" group.

Naveen Francis

Aug 14, 2018, 1:11:56 AM8/14/18
to datameet
PMGSY-Geospatial Rural Road Information System

Sarath Guttikunda

Feb 22, 2022, 10:19:36 PM2/22/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Good morning.

I came across this site -- https://geosadak-pmgsy.nic.in/opendata -- with shapefiles by state for Bound_Block, Habitations, Facilities, Road_DRRP, and Proposals. We have to download one state and one layer at a time.

Wondering if anyone from the group made an India composite of these layers? Or if this is already on datameet repo, please share the link.

Appreciate it.
With best wishes,
Sarath

--
Dr. Sarath Guttikunda
http://www.urbanemissions.info

Parvej

Feb 22, 2022, 11:10:25 PM2/22/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Proposal data not found

Arun Ganesh

Feb 22, 2022, 11:29:14 PM2/22/22
to datameet

Pratap Vardhan

Feb 22, 2022, 11:45:52 PM2/22/22
to datameet
I've shared dump of roads dataset with Justin. He would probably upload them today. Meanwhile, you can download missing Road_DRRP dump from https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Q8TnmjGw6SlUmTBvKGkqjRIG2Ow-8S_7?usp=sharing

Sarath Guttikunda

Feb 22, 2022, 11:52:58 PM2/22/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Justin, Pratap, and Arun.

--

Justin has compiled the data of all the states into one repo https://github.com/justinelliotmeyers/India_Official_Data_2022
I came across this site -- https://geosadak-pmgsy.nic.in/opendata -- with shapefiles by state for Bound_Block, Habitations, Facilities, Road_DRRP, and Proposals. We have to download one state and one layer at a time.

Wondering if anyone from the group made an India composite of these layers? Or if this is already on datameet repo, please share the link.

Appreciate it.
With best wishes,
Sarath

--
Dr. Sarath Guttikunda
http://www.urbanemissions.info

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Thejesh GN

Feb 23, 2022, 12:00:41 AM2/23/22
to data...@googlegroups.com, Arun Ganesh, Pratap Vardhan

Can we add this data to the main maps repo at -> https://github.com/thejeshgn/pmgsy-geosadak

At some point we can have a mini site with all the attributes and layer descriptions similar to the maps project that we have. http://projects.datameet.org/maps/

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Thejesh GN

Feb 23, 2022, 12:03:09 AM2/23/22
to data...@googlegroups.com, Arun Ganesh, Pratap Vardhan
Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com
GPG ID :  0xBFFC8DD3C06DD6B0

Sarath Guttikunda

Feb 23, 2022, 12:36:42 AM2/23/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Question: In the Bound_Block files, there is a district_ID -- this corresponds to 2011 census ID's (640 districts) or a new one?

--

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 11:10 PM Parvej <parabe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Proposal data not found

Parvej

Feb 23, 2022, 1:07:08 AM2/23/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello sir
Can you please explain me how to download "Drainage polygon" and "Drainage line" and "Railway" in GEO SADAK.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Pratap Vardhan

Feb 23, 2022, 1:13:54 AM2/23/22
to datameet
It has at least has 680 districts codes for 28 states, so certainly not census 2011.

Thejesh GN

Feb 23, 2022, 1:20:11 AM2/23/22
to data...@googlegroups.com

I am guessing they map to LGD data  I will try and map to my district mappings (has census code, wikidataId, LGD code)

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Arun Ganesh

Feb 23, 2022, 11:09:15 AM2/23/22
to datameet
Have added a few resources that would be handy to explore the data to https://github.com/datameet/pmgsy-geosadak#map-resources

Interactive Map to browse. Key:
- White dashed lines: PMGSY roads
- Yellow dashed lines: Proposed roads
- Brown roads: from OSM basemap
- Circle markers: Rural facilities POIs
- Village names with yellow highlight: PMGSY habitation names

Readme has links to vector tile source url and wmts for use in QGIS

Harsh Nisar

Feb 24, 2022, 7:07:39 AM2/24/22
to datameet
It'll be nice if we can consolidate efforts/issues on the datameet repo as they've partnered with NRIDA to provide the community support.

Also the codes on the locations are pertaining to PMGSY internal dictionaries (not census, nor LGD). If you see the opendata page there is download master button, that will tell you the ID to Name matching.

And block divisions in PMGSY will in most cases lag or differ from the up to date block divisions as usually it takes time to handle block splits in ERP systems where most things are inter-connected. One should not use the Block divisions in the PMGSY dataset to get a sense of the number of Blocks in the country.

Also primary author was asking for core-network which is a subset of entire rural road network (details are in the PMGSY operations manual)