India Village Shapefile Data

Justin Meyers

Jul 7, 2016, 9:51:01 PM7/7/16
to datameet
Can I post shapefile data for India Villages?

Devdatta Tengshe

Jul 7, 2016, 9:55:51 PM7/7/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

Hey Justin,
Please post them. Lot of people are asking for them.

Regards,
Devdatta Tengshe
Ph: 735-358-0782

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Justin Meyers

Jul 7, 2016, 10:07:19 PM7/7/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone have a village dataset I can compare to for verification before I upload to github?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.

Sutirtha Roy

Jul 7, 2016, 11:14:54 PM7/7/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
If you want to eyeball the villages and check their boundaries: https://ncog.gov.in/garvgis/admin/gisModule

SR

Sutirtha Roy | Economist, O/o CEA | Ministry of Finance
011-23095176 (O) 9810645843 (M)

Justin Meyers

Jul 7, 2016, 11:46:53 PM7/7/16
to datameet
SR,
Thanks - have the data downloaded from both.  can the vector data be shared?  the lgdir data is constantly changing...

Devdatta, you know whats going on behind the scenes with the sites - you have to have the data too!??

not sure why people from India aren't posting the data when they have it - Is the govt restricting free data from being uploaded?  Can it be posted ?  https://archive.org/details/IndiaVillageBoundaries started, but stopped?  does everyone have all that data (for the entire nation) already?  The Mapbox people must have it!?  Or am I the only one in the world with several different full national level datasets for villages in India?  This cannot be true -

Can it be hosted on GitHub?

Devdatta Tengshe

Jul 8, 2016, 2:08:44 AM7/8/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hey Justin.

>>Devdatta, ... you have to have the data too!?? I personally don't have any data of Villages with me.
For two reasons:
  • Having worked with this Data when I was working with ISRO on India-WRIS, and with Government of Bihar, I don't want anyone to entertain the possibility that I stole the data from there. NDAs and Official Secrets Act is a Scary thing for me personally.
  • Having looked at this data, I question the possibility of a uniform All India dataset which matches other datasets. I think that probably only the Census Dept (not even the Survey Of India) has a decent All India Dataset. I do not know that by law, all Government Departments need to buy their data from Survey Of India, and that data is terrible. Hence the data at India-WRIS, or Bhuvan, or Bihar's IBhugol is not an up-to-date, usable dataset.  I don't know where the ppl at BISAG got the data for National Centre of Geo-Informatics.

>>why people from India aren't posting the data when they have it

I can't answer for others, but I imagine, that this is because it is difficult to explain how this data happened to be in your ownership, when the original source is usually Survey Of India, or some other Govt Department.

>>Can it be hosted on GitHub?

Even Though I'm not a Lawyer, my understanding is that it can be. Infact, given that you are not based in the country, you would be the best person on the group to do so.

Regards,
Devdatta

Sharad Lele

Jul 9, 2016, 12:56:44 AM7/9/16
to datameet
Hi folks,
I believe Nisha Thompson and Thejesh were trying to figure out the legal dimensions related to posting these boundaries on our group. Maybe Nisha can give us an update on where things stand?

Sharad

Craig Dsouza

Jul 9, 2016, 8:19:42 AM7/9/16
to datameet
Hi Justin,
Speaking from the Datameet Pune group here. We also have the files, for many states. Dev helped us with figuring out an open WFS endpoint on the Bhuvan site.
Since then we've downloaded the data for these 10 states.

We've also been really keen on publishing the datasets. To answer your question as to why haven't we done it yet.

- Yes, the fear of having to answer the question of how we got the files is one reason.

- Secondly, we're working on cleaning them up and adding census attribute data to them. Like Dev said, the Bhuvan shapefile isn't an exact match to the census list of villages. But we've found that with some cleaning we still get a very usable dataset.

Once we create thematic visualizations from these its easier to show their usefulness and get broader support from academics,civil society (rather than just tech groups) asking for these datasets to be open.

Take the savethemap campaign for example. Its hard to spread awareness when not many people understand what impact it could have.

One thing making the cleaning process cumbersome is that not all of the files have both village codes 2001 and 2011 in their attribute tables. It seems that some of the files we downloaded were a work in progress. For example when I first downloaded Maharashtra it didn't have any 2011 census codes. When another of the DM Pune guys downloaded Maharashtra a few weeks later it had both 2001 and 2011 census codes.

Having said all this it's obviously no good if we do all the cleaning up and then don't have a plan for publishing it. Its about time already! I suggest we have a dialogue about this within this group about the best way to do it. Perhaps Thej, Nisha can comment?

Best

Craig

Kaushal Jain

Jul 12, 2016, 1:54:46 PM7/12/16
to datameet
On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 5:49:42 PM UTC+5:30, Craig Dsouza wrote:
> Hi Justin,
> Speaking from the Datameet Pune group here. We also have the files, for many states. Dev helped us with figuring out an open WFS endpoint on the Bhuvan site.
> Since then we've downloaded the data for these 10 states.
>
> We've also been really keen on publishing the datasets. To answer your question as to why haven't we done it yet.
> - Yes, the fear of having to answer the question of how we got the files is one reason.
> - Secondly, we're working on cleaning them up and adding census attribute data to them. Like Dev said, the Bhuvan shapefile isn't an exact match to the census list of villages. But we've found that with some cleaning we still get a very usable dataset.
> Once we create thematic visualizations from these its easier to show their usefulness and get broader support from academics,civil society (rather than just tech groups) asking for these datasets to be open.
> Take the savethemap campaign for example. Its hard to spread awareness when not many people understand what impact it could have.
>

> One thing making the cleaning process cumbersome is that not all of the files have both village codes 2001 and 2011 in their attribute tables. It seems that some of the files we downloaded were a work in progress. For example when I first downloaded Maharashtra it didn't have any 2011 census codes. When another of the DM Pune guys downloaded Maharashtra a few weeks later it had both 2001 and 2011 census codes.
>

> Having said all this it's obviously no good if we do all the cleaning up and then don't have a plan for publishing it. Its about time already! I suggest we have a dialogue about this within this group about the best way to do it. Perhaps Thej, Nisha can comment?
>

> Best
> Craig
>

> On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 7:21:01 AM UTC+5:30, Justin Meyers wrote:
> Can I post shapefile data for India Villages?

Hey guys,
Any mandate on if we can see the India village level shapefiles soon on github / open domain?
I am specifically looking for village levels shapefiles for Gujarat, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh.

@ Justin, Craig: Is there a possibility of sharing your datasets on this group? It would be really helpful for a lot of folks!

Best,
Kaushal

samar...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2018, 4:14:41 PM8/24/18
to datameet
Sir

Please post Indian village shape files if possible

with regards.

Nitin Sathe