Greater Chennai Corporation Ward boundaries pre 2011 delimitation

gulaba...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2023, 1:47:20 AM10/15/23
to datameet
Hi All,
Does anyone have access to pre-2011 GCC ward boundaries? I am trying to find them to map it to some Census data but can't find any source. The data meet GitHub and OpenCity have post-2011 delimitation boundaries which don't work for this purpose.  Even PDFs or images that can be georeferenced work too.

Appreciate any help!
Thanks,
Herry

Vaidya

Oct 18, 2023, 2:00:25 AM10/18/23
to data...@googlegroups.com
Chennai Corp's GIS server might be of use:
https://gis.chennaicorporation.gov.in/server/rest/services/

Thanks,
Vaidya

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Eric Leclerc

Nov 11, 2023, 7:52:00 PM11/11/23
to datameet
Hello every one

I have the same request for a group of students, finally do you find these ward boundaries pre-2011 ?

Best regards, Eric

Arun Ganesh

Nov 13, 2023, 3:34:58 PM11/13/23
to data...@googlegroups.com
Don't have a shapefile, but the old CMDA masterplan was the only clear map of the ward boundaries that i've seen: https://www.cmdachennai.gov.in/Volume2_English_PDF/Chennai-StreetAlign.pdf

The best i've managed to do is to georeference a cleaned up version of the above map so it is available as a geotiff. One would need to manually trace out the lines in QGIS to create a shapefile which could be a bit tedious, but the only way if you really need it. https://mapwarper.net/maps/77607#Preview_Rectified_Map_tab

Would be great to know why the sudden interest in the pre 2011 ward boundaries.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Eric Leclerc

Nov 15, 2023, 4:12:22 PM11/15/23
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am professor of geomatic in France and I gave an exercice about Chennai to my master’s students who need to map census data (i.e. prior to October 2011 changes on delineation of wards).

Thanks for helping.

Très cordialement

Eric Leclerc

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/datameet/CA%2BGKQr3ShUgVgwU2Mc%2B2gXkCp-2iOkprD26r86Bjbx1McyMMkA%40mail.gmail.com.

Arun Ganesh

Nov 16, 2023, 4:03:54 AM11/16/23
to data...@googlegroups.com
Went ahead and just traced the boundaries in QGIS using the geotiff as reference. Never done it before so was a good exercise. Took a couple of hours.