Receive and duplicate Worcerster Boiler 433MHZ on/off signal

Cadu Silvestre

Feb 21, 2015, 10:35:19 AM2/21/15
to cul-...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,

Based on this idea - http://www.stevenhale.co.uk/main/2013/08/home-automation-reverse-engineering-a-worcester-bosch-dt10rf-wireless-thermostat/ - I bought a Raspberry Pi and a CUL to try to control my temperature at home. Instead of using a home made RF listener, I thought using CUL would be the way to go, as I'd have a better antenna than using regular 433 transceivers.I uploaded 1.61 firmware in my CC1101-USB-Lite 433MHz and it's running ok.

My goal here is to copy the 433mhz on/off signal sent from Worcerster wireless controller to the boiler. As per Steven's experience, it seems simple to do, but I couldn't manage to listen the signal using X command - tried X67 (debugging mode) but couldn't catch anything.

I'm counting on your help to clear the following doubts:

1 - Can I listen the signal with command X? What configs should I change to make that happening?
2 - If command X is the way to go, how can I interpret the captured result and send it back with CUL commands?
3 - In case I have to write code to receive the signal and send it back, from the source code where could be a good starting point? Can I use Raspberry pi dfu-programmer to upload the changed firmware? It's been ages since I've seen RF in university, could you recommend a good starting point for me to understand how to capture the signal?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Rudolf Koenig

Feb 21, 2015, 12:03:22 PM2/21/15
to cul-...@googlegroups.com
> 1 - Can I listen the signal with command X? What configs should I change to
> make that happening?
Depends, experiment with the different bits in the X command.
But first of all collect as much protocol information as possible on the device
from the internet.

> 2 - If command X is the way to go, how can I interpret the captured result
Read the commandref.html carefully from the beginning to the end.

> and send it back with CUL commands?
There is a G for raw commands, but it only can send data with a special
characteristic.

> where could be a good starting point?
Compiling culfw first is a good start, then take a look at rf_receive.c

> Can I use Raspberry pi dfu-programmer to upload the changed firmware?
Yes, as descibed in commandref.html

Cadu Silvestre

Feb 22, 2015, 6:21:11 AM2/22/15
to cul-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudolf,

Thanks for you prompt response.

Before writing I'd already tried all X command variations - and unfortunately Worscester protocol is closed and I have no info about it - just know it's on 433MHz.

I think the only way to go is to modify the firmware. It would be nice to hear if someone already has a modified version to listen raw communication.

Thanks.