G'day from Melbourne, Australia

Sean Qian

Jul 20, 2013, 6:50:25 AM7/20/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
HI All,

My name's Sean and I'm planning on starting a co-working space for my colleagues and I in a few months. We're all newly registered migration agents and are hoping to get our own businesses up and running. We've been meeting at least once a month, usually at a restaurant, to talk over cases and to catch up but I figure we'd be a lot more productive working together a few days a week.

Through a family connection I've managed to secure a premises on Collins Street, which is one of Melbourne CBD's (Central Business District ie Down town) premier street locations at a very reasonable rental rate. I've also negotiated a free period which I'm sure will come in handy.

The office is approx 90m2, has a large open area, 2 decent sizes office rooms, a kitchenette and a small office which can be used as a private room or phone call room. I've uploaded a quick floorplan I drew for those interested.

I've been doing a lot of research about the movement and am so eager to meet all sorts of different people through the process of having a space, but I've got a few beginner questions which I'm hoping can be discussed and answered here.

1. So far, I think I'm going to have 3 membership packages - an all access pass, 3 days a week, and the casual 1 day a week. How can I keep a track of who comes in and when? Is the only solution to purchase/create some kind of management software like Nexudus or Cobot? I'd like to not have to sit at the front desk all the time.

2. Let's say the office has 85m2 of usable workstation space after the kitchenette is taken out, how should I calculate how many members I can there at any one time, and how many members I can have there overall?

3. Should I concentrate my advertising/marketing towards other migration agents or similar professionals or be more broad?

4. What are some must have things? Photocopier/Printer? Couches? Water tank? I will supply a small fridge, microwave. coffee machine, kettle, tea and coffee beans.

Any feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated. I hope to have our co-working space up and running soon!

Cheers,

Sean
Floorplan.png

Jerome Chang

Jul 22, 2013, 5:22:04 PM7/22/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi.  See below.

Jerome
______________
BLANKSPACES
"work FOR yourself, not BY yourself"

www.blankspaces.com
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) Los Angeles, CA 90036
323.330.9505 (office)

On Jul 20, 2013, at 3:50 AM, Sean Qian <chen...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

For a space this small, a combo of your looking up, and your trusting that people will use what they pay for...this should suffice.
Even a quick Google Calendar could work.  Or perhaps enlist a SharedDesk/LiquidSpace/etc. and they can check in via that.

2. Let's say the office has 85m2 of usable workstation space after the kitchenette is taken out, how should I calculate how many members I can there at any one time, and how many members I can have there overall?

layout the space.
generally, people assume you can sell 2x more memberships than there are seats.  I've seen higher in my space...I've seen lower.

3. Should I concentrate my advertising/marketing towards other migration agents or similar professionals or be more broad?

In my opinion, broad.

4. What are some must have things? Photocopier/Printer? Couches? Water tank? I will supply a small fridge, microwave. coffee machine, kettle, tea and coffee beans.

In my opinion, printer.  There are many combo units for <$200.  Usually, copying isn't ideal but it can be done.  Printing is the core function.

Any feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated. I hope to have our co-working space up and running soon!

Cheers,

Sean

---

<Floorplan.png>

Chris Johnson

Jul 22, 2013, 5:38:29 PM7/22/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

What are you asking me?

Sean Qian

Jul 22, 2013, 10:21:02 PM7/22/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jerome,

Cheers for the detailed responses. I've had a few days to think things over since posting and agree with most of your feedback.

I like the idea of using google calendar to manage things, at least initially. I can have it so that members can access the calendar themselves to book things such as the meeting room correct?

How do space operators usually manage access? Keypad access with individual code for each member? Or Keypass cards where members get a card each?

Btw Blankspaces looks amazing!

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Qian

Jul 24, 2013, 1:01:32 AM7/24/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I've been doing research on access and security options and have come across a range of digital locks made by Samsung. They are called the SHS range.

Has anyone come across these or used them in their place?

The one I'm looking at (SHS-3320) accepts digital pass code, RFID, NFC or key card. It can even accept up to 70 users which will be more than enough for my space.

The only downside I can see so far with this system is that it isn't networked so it can't tell me who or when someone has used their keypass to enter the office.

Any other solutions I should look into?

Glen Ferguson

Jul 24, 2013, 11:39:52 AM7/24/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

I've looked at the Samsung locks and considered the deadbolt version for our space (I can't change the door handle, but can change the deadbolt/nightlatch). It seems pretty versatile and the cost is decent. Unfortunately for us, having a second lock violates fire code, so for now we just give keys to the members with 24/7 access and tell them to keep the deadbolt unlatched when they're in the building. We adopted Alex's "Circle of Trust" vetting method which is working well. When we get more 24/7 members, we'll look at a swipe card solution. I'm leaning towards a Honeywell NetAXS-123 which has a web interface, but it's rather pricey.

Barbara Sprenger

Jul 24, 2013, 8:43:53 PM7/24/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,
We've developed a web app that ties in with an off-the-shelf access system. We really like Paxton at the moment. It's a battery-powered and wi-fi RFID doorlock w/scanner built in. All you have to do is remove the existing handle on the door, and replace it with this one -- no wiring. You do have to use the wired ones for outside doors. We put these on all the conference room and office doors, then the scans are entered into our system to track usage. So you can offer true 24/7 usage and be able to charge for, say, a conference room to a member from 7 - 10 pm without staffing. Our system also includes a full reservation system, automatic renewal billing, reports, self-registration for new members, automatic credit card processing, etc.

Barbara

Barbara Sprenger

Jul 24, 2013, 8:57:07 PM7/24/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Sean,
As always, Jerome's comments are great. I've interspersed a few ideas below, too.

Barbara

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:50:25 AM UTC-7, Sean Qian wrote:
[...]

In this space, you'll be doing conventional cowork -- nice open plan layout with just a few breakout/team room spaces.
I've been doing a lot of research about the movement and am so eager to meet all sorts of different people through the process of having a space, but I've got a few beginner questions which I'm hoping can be discussed and answered here.

1. So far, I think I'm going to have 3 membership packages - an all access pass, 3 days a week, and the casual 1 day a week. How can I keep a track of who comes in and when? Is the only solution to purchase/create some kind of management software like Nexudus or Cobot? I'd like to not have to sit at the front desk all the time.
We found that "days per week" made people feel like they didn't have enough flexibility. We changed it to "days per month", and used "up to..." . I like both Nexudus and Cobot. Our software, however, uses an RFID access card tied to the web app to track usage.

2. Let's say the office has 85m2 of usable workstation space after the kitchenette is taken out, how should I calculate how many members I can there at any one time, and how many members I can have there overall? (Sorry I'm talking English instead of metric) Figure 50 - 100 s.f. per person that can be in the space at any one time. You can sell 3 x that calculation, roughly, for memberships, since you won't have very many people in full time.

3. Should I concentrate my advertising/marketing towards other migration agents or similar professionals or be more broad? We believe in being more broad -- why limit the market? We feel the thread between people is that they've chosen to live (or work in) a particular area. There will also be a certain type of person who likes your environment. In our spaces, our members range from startups to financial consultants to writers to teachers to counselors to grad students to web developers...I better stop...

4. What are some must have things? Photocopier/Printer? Couches? Water tank? I will supply a small fridge, microwave. coffee machine, kettle, tea and coffee beans. We like the Sharp MX series printer/copier/fax/scanner. Easy to use. And we can program in codes for each person. Then we enter the usage at the end of each month for billing. Pretty simple. Fast, reliable broadband with failover is the main thing you need! We also have a VoIP phone system. So we can add a new person on the fly, change plans, etc. Really flexible, but you need a good one.

Let me know if we can help in any other way!
Barbara

Sean Qian

Jul 25, 2013, 1:24:21 AM7/25/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply Glen.

I've just placed an order for the SHS-3320. I'll update here on how it goes. There's a good installation video on youtube which I'm glad to discover.

Starting off there will only be 5 of us and we're all friends. I'm going to give them all discounted rates to use the space any time they want during business hours. Less admin for me whilst the space gets going.

Where can I learn more about Alex's Circle of trust? It sounds interesting.

Sean Qian

Jul 25, 2013, 10:11:50 AM7/25/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for your detailed responses!

Completely agree with your first 2 pointers. I will be offering days per month and not putting a restriction on which days members can choose to come in. I've also been playing around with different layouts and I think the best way to utilise the space in the middle of the room is to have 3 stations which can accommodate 5 people each. This gives each member 1200cm X 60cm of desk space which is quite comfortable. I'm also thinking about putting a couple of couches in that space to the right of the first office.

Most of the feedback I've been receiving is to allow a broad range of people to utilise the space. I tend to think this is a good idea now too. Why limit the market indeed, especially if other people from different industries will make the place more vibrant.

I was thinking along the lines of a multi function printer/scanner/copier as well for the office. Good to know Sharp offer a solution which can assigned members. That's very helpful to know. Thank you.

Cheers again for your reply it's been very helpful!

Barbara Sprenger

Jul 25, 2013, 10:26:31 AM7/25/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'm so glad, Sean!
The Sharp can be put on a lease -- in fact it's advisable. It becomes a monthly cost/profit center, and you just turn it over to a new one in 5 years -- or get a great deal on keeping it. We get them able to take ledger size for architects/drafters/accountants on bypass. Not used a lot, but it doesn't cost much and good selling feature.

Be sure you have power down the 5 person tables to plug in laptops/other devices. (We sometimes use 22" wide tables and attach them with a power strip down the middle if you don't have purpose made ones.)
Barbara Sprenger

---

Glen Ferguson

Jul 25, 2013, 11:54:44 AM7/25/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

Not wanting to sidetrack the discussion, but here's the gist of the peer-based vetting from a discussion you can find in this group archives. This is what Alex had to say:

"All that said, we've had two thefts take place inside of 4 years, with over 100 members and thousands of people through our doors. Both were "inside jobs", and we responded by improving our social awareness instead of locking things down. In the most recent case, we instituted a "three signature rule" for new full time members. After 1 month of "waiting period", a new member needs to get 3 signatures from existing full time members that they trust them with a key. This creates a simple structure for getting to know each other a bit better over lunch, drinks, coffee, etc."

Somebody called it the Circle of Trust, a reference to the Ben Stiller / Robert De Niro movie "Meet The Parents" and it stuck, at least for some of us.

Tying this back to security, we liked this approach and so do our members, plus it's simple and inexpensive to implement.

We like to keep our systems simple and use them until they no longer meet our needs. For example, we don't meter printing because we don't have any heavy users. The few that are moderate users are balanced by those that never print anything. If there comes a time when printer use grows, then we'll turn on the per user metering in the printer (we're using a Canon D1350 multifunction printer, by the way).

Jeannine

Jul 25, 2013, 2:34:32 PM7/25/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I also have a small space and started in an even smaller one.

1. So far, I think I'm going to have 3 membership packages - an all access pass, 3 days a week, and the casual 1 day a week. How can I keep a track of who comes in and when? Is the only solution to purchase/create some kind of management software like Nexudus or Cobot? I'd like to not have to sit at the front desk all the time.

I use Google Calendar, it works very well.  For folks who are less savvy I do the bookings for them, they just send me an email.   Otherwise they just send me an invitation for the booking and I accept it or don't, to confirm availablity.

I have a strippenkaart, it's what the Dutch used to use for the bus.  They pay in advance for 8 or 10 visits, and these can be used whenever.  It ranks in booking after people with a regular booking, so they can't cancel folks who always come on Tuesday or what have you.  But that has not yet been a problem.  A lot of writers, programmers,a dn other people who work on project basis like it a lot, they can come every day for a week and then not again for awhile.  I don't have a time limit on mine, in a larger space that might be necessary.

2. Let's say the office has 85m2 of usable workstation space after the kitchenette is taken out, how should I calculate how many members I can there at any one time, and how many members I can have there overall?

I played it by ear.  You can in a small space.  At about 50% occupancy I went looking for a bigger space.

3. Should I concentrate my advertising/marketing towards other migration agents or similar professionals or be more broad?

Go broad, it's more fun. Nothing like sharing office space with a circus or a theater group.  Yes, really.

4. What are some must have things? Photocopier/Printer? Couches? Water tank? I will supply a small fridge, microwave. coffee machine, kettle, tea and coffee beans.
Printer and here a scanner.

Sean Qian

Jul 26, 2013, 1:10:48 AM7/26/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the responses. Everyone has be so helpful and insightful!

I get more and more excited about opening up the space every day.

There are a lot of renovation plans I want to implement at the place before I open it to the public but in the meantime my core group of friends want to start using it asap.

I've decided to go ahead with a 'soft' launch with them. They'll receive significantly discounted rates with the understanding that the place will be "evolving" as they're in there.

This is my to do checklist for getting the place up and running:

Power points for each workstation
Wifi internet connection
Some lockers or lockable filing cabinets
Coat of fresh paint
Digital door lock
Fridge
Chairs
Lighting
Website
Printer/Scanner
Google calendar

Thing I already have:

Desks
Power + Water
Kettle + Microwave

Anything I've missed?

Alex Hillman

Jul 26, 2013, 8:55:11 AM7/26/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, cowo...@googlegroups.com
Anything I've missed?

Members ;)

Jeannine

Jul 26, 2013, 9:03:48 AM7/26/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
About the soft launch:

One of the best things I did when we moved to the second space was to open while it looked like this:

Yes, I know, the tragedy of child labor, terrible, isn't it?

Aaanyway.  I didn't do this because I was so clever, I did it because we needed to keep running.  So the members I already had worked around it.  And told their friends and put it on their Facebook and you know, more people came to help.  Many did not become members, but they did become supporters and some of them are still hanging around.  Don't limit yourself to recruiting new members, the power of working together is not in who you know, it is in who they know, the second circle if you like.

Going through transitions together makes for a stronger bond.

But without a coffee maker you are totally lost, my friend.  During construction a keg or a crate depending on local taste does not come amiss.  Throw a couple of construction parties :-)

Cheers,

Jeannine

rachel young

Jul 26, 2013, 9:36:14 AM7/26/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Alex beat me to saying members, but I would also add whiteboards and markers, a coffee pot, cups/glasses/spoons, coffee/tea/beer, sugar/milk/cream. If there's room in your budget, consider also adding a few plants and some art, though you might find local artists wanting to display their art for sale on your walls.

You might be able to forgo the lockers and possibly the lockable filing cabinets (until you see members actually need them), and maybe even delay the digital door lock, depending on how secure your building is.
r.

____________________
rachel young
rac...@camaraderie.ca

We're now at 2241 Dundas St W, 3rd floor
(between Bloor and Roncesvalles)
Toronto, ON  M6R 1X6

Find us online:
Website/blog and Newsletter

Alex Hillman

Jul 26, 2013, 9:42:31 AM7/26/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'm so glad Jeannine posted this. It may seem simple, but this co-creation process is powerful.

Lemme give you a peek into your potential futures:

In future one, you fill up your new room with all of the "stuff" we've suggested I'm this thread, and announce "come to my new Coworking space!"

A week or two pass, and you come back to this list and post like many others, "where do I find members? How do I get them to understand Coworking?"

In future two, you announce "I'm opening a new Coworking space and need help! Come by at X times to help with painting/building furniture/etc etc. I'll supply some food and drink for while we work together"

As Jeannine suggested, the people who show up may not become members (yet) but they become invested. This helps in two ways:

-when they describe it to people who might be members, they won't just focus on the stuff, they'll talk about it as the experience they had with you co-creating it, they people they met, etc this is an important virtuous cycle to kickstart EARLY because it gets harder later

-it starts to shifts YOUR brain from "me" to "we" which will pay off long term

There's a hidden benefit in here, too: if you can't get anybody to show up and help paint or put desks together...your gonna have an even harder time getting people to join with paying memberships. Consider this participatory soft launch a litmus test for if you have people who actually want the thing you've set out to create.

Most importantly, though...this stuff is fun. Making things is rewarding. Making things other is 10x rewarding. Don't forget to have a good time.

:)

-Alex

Sean Qian

Jul 28, 2013, 4:03:17 AM7/28/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again for all the helpful posts Alex, Jeannine and Rachel. Getting friends and potential members to come help in the transformation is a brilliant idea!

I love having lots of green in offices so will definitely be investing in some indoor plants. I'm also considering covering half a wall in fake turf but that may be going overboard...

Anyway here is my draft mockup of how I envision the space if anyone is interested in having a look.  The furniture in there is only to provide scale and layout. The hotdesks in the middle of the space 150cmX60cm each.

- Sean
Collins Collective 3D.png

Jeannine

Jul 28, 2013, 8:33:53 AM7/28/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
In choosing your furniture, consider moveability.

My back room looks like this:

Or it looks like this:

Or like this:

Sometimes it looks like this:

At least once it looked like this:

For some reason I cannot find my pictures of the setup with folding chairs for classes.  In any event, the furniture was built to be able to be pushed into various places and make the large room suitable for workshops or classes or other kinds of events.  That's where we have yoga and mindfulness classes and so forth.

The high tables have an up and a downside:  people love them for workshops but they are not popular for working at a laptop.  I think it isn't the tables but the bar stools, I got some high chairs with backs recently to see if that is it.  But mostly folks with the laptops walk right through that room and work in the garden out back.

Anyway, in my checkered past I worked in theater and the back room is like a set:  its atmosphere can be changed at will, it breaks down and transforms in about 20 minutes.  Those tables look massive but they are built hollow and weigh nothing.

All of my desks and tables throughout the space are moveable and people can bring in their own furniture and accessories if they like.  This does require making an inventory when they come in but otherwise it isn't hard.  Allowing people to decorate the space just as they like when they are there makes them want to come back and also increases their investment in the space.  If you can do it, I do recommend it.

Second Rachel's idea of having local artists hang their stuff on the walls, I have a painter's club in the space and they hang unfinished paintings to dry.  The rest of the members get to see works in progress and they like it very well.

Cheers,

Jeannine

Sean Qian

Jul 28, 2013, 9:08:18 PM7/28/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Awesome tip Jeannine. That makes a lot of sense.

For the big 5 person tables I was going to use one giant table top as a big communal table. It would probably be better to have individual tables as the picture shows. That way I can push them up against the walls for events/functions.

Thank you,

Sean

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Coworking" group.

Sean Qian

Aug 12, 2013, 2:59:26 AM8/12/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

Thought I'd post an update on my coworking adventures thus far.
I've taken my core group of migration colleagues through the space to get their thoughts and input. Good news is that they all agree on the changes I want to make in order to make the space more presentable and comfortable to work in. We're doing new floorboards, a fresh coat of paint, new lighting fixtures, chairs and table tops to start with. Two of them also requested private desks which I guess makes setting up that area a priority. My current timeline is to get the place more or less how I want it by September. That way I can take some photos of it for the website.

As a way to vent my enthusiasm I've created a facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/collinscollective). Feel free to throw us a like!

From all the coworking articles/threads/blog pieces I've been reading (I still come here every day) I think it will be important for the space to be able to host a myriad of events and workshops. My space is small, so as Jeannine pointed out earlier it'd be of great benefit if the furniture could be easily moved around when needed.

My next goal before opening the space is to merge my existing network of coworkers with another group of people from other industries. I really want the space to be as vibrant and diverse as possible. I've reached out to some university entrepreneurial clubs and have offered the space for them to host events in when it's ready. Let's see how it goes! Any ideas on getting my facebook likes up? Has anyone paid for facebook ads?

- Sean

l...@getnotorious.com

Sep 10, 2014, 1:06:56 AM9/10/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

My names Lil, I'm starting a co-working space in South Melbourne in a two story warehouse which will double as an events/function space. I came across your post while trying to compile as much information as possible on co-working environments and would love to know how the last year has been for you and Collins Collective?

I was hoping you could give me some advice on the following:

  • Getting people involved in the space and building a community even while we are in the build phase of this project.
  • Managing memberships - the amount of members vs the amount of chairs. How have you been tracking how members use the space and how many members you can sign up?
  • Do all of your members have 24/7 access? And for those that do can you recommend an access system?
If there are any other do's and don'ts you could throw my way that you've learnt since you started it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lil

Alex Hillman

Sep 10, 2014, 10:55:44 AM9/10/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lil!

I’m not involved in Sean’s group at Collins Collective, but I thought I could help with your questions :)
  • Getting people involved in the space and building a community even while we are in the build phase of this project.
It sounds like you already have the space, but it’s not fitted out yet?

My #1 tip here is to invite your potential members to get involved with that process as MUCH as possible. It might seem a bit scary, but the easiest thing you can do is to write down your fit-out todo list and organize it by things that need to be done by “professionals” (things like electrical, for instance, and other things that require safety and code requirements) vs. things that can be done with a little bit of creativity and elbow grease.

For the things in the latter group, share that list with your prospective community and invite them to bring their interests/expertise/experiences to the table and contribute. This could be anything from painting to installing whiteboards to assembling furniture to even installing and configuring your network.

You’ll still need to play a role in leading them, but the benefit is that the space turns from being a place that they’ll come into a place that they helped put together, quite literally. I like to think of it like a modern day “barn raising” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_raising), which was both a functional process of installing a new barn but also a community experience that involved people from the community across generations, disciplines, etc.
  • Managing memberships - the amount of members vs the amount of chairs. How have you been tracking how members use the space and how many members you can sign up?
I wrote a bit in here about how we manage this. A lot of people overthink this, and it’s much simpler than people think: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/coworking/A9AdyeFAsSQ/k5gDNidJk2oJ

Basic rule of thumb is that a full time desk can only be used by one member, and flex desks can be shared by an average of 4+ members (depending on your membership spread, of course, so your milage may vary).
  • Do all of your members have 24/7 access? And for those that do can you recommend an access system?

If there are any other do's and don'ts you could throw my way that you've learnt since you started it would be greatly appreciated.
Definitely peruse this list’s archives - I’ve been here answering questions for a while ;)

I’ve also got a lot of more specific articles on my blog, http://dangerouslyawesome.com

Good luck and definitely keep us posted on your community in Melbourne! I got to visit there for the Coworking Australia conference early last year and absolutely loved that city, it reminded me a lot of my favorite things about Philadelphia :)

-Alex