Partnership with Universities

Marcos Schwartz

Aug 19, 2017, 5:15:37 PM8/19/17
to Coworking
Hi, everyone!

Is there any partnership between a coworking space and an University creating a space inside the Campus?
Some do create a coworking - actually incubatorS - with low diversity, no community and almost pure research with teachers and students.
I am researching about this subject, but I only found Universities managing their own spaces so far.

Is anybody aware about any  partnership worldwide ?

steve suard

Aug 19, 2017, 8:57:26 PM8/19/17
to Coworking
Hi Marcos, I do not want to be negative but two days ago I discussed with the president of a university on the same idea and he did not see any benefits. He told me that all students have everything they need inside the university: study rooms, laboratories, conference rooms, coworking space as with high internet Speed ... So not really a thing that it would conclude like a partnership.

But one thing that could be interesting is to make sure these students know that if they were going to be self-employed at the end of university, they could come into your coworking space. The university will not partner with you as they will no longer be students. However, it is possible to target them in the magazine of the University with advertisements or similar.

Miroslav Miroslavov

Aug 20, 2017, 4:49:16 AM8/20/17
to Coworking
Hi Marcos,

There's a very good and successful example here in London, called EdSpace. They are quite a big and cool Coworking based in University.
The idea is the opposite, instead of selling to the students, they bring businesses and startups that are part of the EdTech industry. This way, the members benefit of having an exposure to the student community and the students benefit of having real business to collaborate with (or work).
Le me know if you want to put you in touch with the guys.

Miro Miroslavov
https://officernd.com

ch...@thecoworkconsultant.com

Aug 20, 2017, 10:25:36 AM8/20/17
to Coworking
This is a super conversation!

I have worked on a couple of projects that involved interaction and partnerships with universities. It's a tough but to crack because many of them believe they have everything they need for their students on campuses (in many cases they do!)...also, why would they want students to leave campus to utilize an outside coworking space (students spend alot off money on campus!). Remember, these universities are businesses so unless you give them a good financial reason to create or partner with coworking...they won't see the benefits.

I wanted to understand this conversation from a students' perspective and below is a link to what I found when I interviewed a grad student who utilized one of the spaces I co-founded...

http://thecoworkconsultant.com/college-students-think-coworking/

He actually didn't find enough variety in the interactions he had with other students at the University. Very interesting stuff!

I second the idea about collaborating with industries and having coworking spaces act as a hub to partner with universities (I've seen this before VERY successful). Regardless, be create when you approach higher education but ALWAYS focus on the business aspect...they are making money, alot of it, and are built in that.

If anyone is interested in connecting more about this please send me an email (ch...@thecoworkconsultant.com) and we can set up a time to chat. I'm happy to share my experience in all this:)

Btw, are all of you in this thread operating, managing and creating co-working spaces?

Marcos Schwartz

Aug 20, 2017, 12:30:41 PM8/20/17
to Coworking
Miro,

O would appreciate it!

Marcos Schwartz

Aug 20, 2017, 12:30:41 PM8/20/17
to Coworking
Actually, they are planning to open a coworking space inside the campus and I am looking for examples in other countries to offer a different perspective if they build a partnership with an actual space. I have a coworking space and was wondering how a partnership with them could be complimentary to my community and the other way around too.
There is another University here that did the same, but they have barely empty spaces without a soul with few teams incubated. They called that coworking...:(

Chris Cooley

Aug 20, 2017, 1:02:47 PM8/20/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Marcos, where are you located? I'm finding a very different mentality / approach to this between countries...

Also, check out what The Commons has done in Wisconsin. It's not a coworking space but they use a unique blend of industry, 24+ universities and coworking models (utilizing spaces) to generate a benefits that have become highly successful (and financial viable) for all...

Jerome Chang

Aug 20, 2017, 5:33:36 PM8/20/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
There’s this, too: https://bayviewyards.org/#welcome-to-ICBY

talk to us: (323) 330-9505

WEST: Santa Monica | 1450 2nd St (@Broadway)
CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire | 5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea)
EAST: Downtown | 529 S. Broadway, Ste 4000 (@Pershing Square)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.

Danny Bulmer

Aug 29, 2017, 1:22:46 PM8/29/17
to Coworking
This is a topic of much interest to me.

I opened my coworking space, www.co-up.co a couple of years ago. The local University are now developing a site just across the river. I would love to try and collaborate/partner with them - I believe we could add so much value to each of our organisations!

I know their previous attempts at 'coworking' have not been a great success. I understand that they may feel that they have all the resources they need. Over and above a genuine and connected community of industry professionals what else can a small independent coworking space offer a University? Is there enough space between education and start up for an independent space to sit?

Marcos Schwartz

Aug 29, 2017, 1:22:46 PM8/29/17
to Coworking
We are located at Curitiba. It is a city with 2MM inhabitants, 400 km from Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Baha @ innoworld Silicon Salley

Oct 3, 2017, 11:49:40 AM10/3/17
to Coworking
check this example:  http://www.herocity.com Hero City