Who's shopping for electronic door locks?

Jacob Sayles

Oct 21, 2010, 5:09:34 PM10/21/10
to coworking
Hello,

The topic of electronic (RFID) door locks has come up a few times and I wanted to revisit it.  Who out there now is looking for a solution?  Who is keeping an eye out for something cool to come along and interested if one does?

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Willie Morris

Oct 21, 2010, 5:14:49 PM10/21/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We have a normal alarm system and everyone has their own access codes...seems to work well enough for now. RFID would be really cool though...

Joel Bennett

Oct 21, 2010, 5:27:44 PM10/21/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

We went with a Schlagelink lock system that allows me to link it with our wireless internet and monitor entry to the building and see who is using the space.  We also have a light module connected to it as well which allows us to turn on a sentry light after hours.  I plan to also purchase a thermostat to link into the system to monitor our usage there and make sure we’re energy efficient.  The best feature is being able to link in with my phone and control all of it when I can’t be there, even to the point of unlocking the front door for a plumber while I am 100 miles away at a conference!

Thanks & God Bless,

Joel Bennett

Chief Dreamchaser

Veel Hoeden, LLC

641-780-7858

veelh...@gmail.com

http://veelhoeden.posterous.com/

http://www.twitter.com/veelhoeden

MATSU TECHNICAL SERVICES, LLC

Oct 21, 2010, 6:36:19 PM10/21/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I am!

Jesse L. Jones

Sent from my Windows Mobile phone and protected by Norton Smartphone Security.

Oct 21, 2010, 11:31:30 PM10/21/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
At BootHK in Hong Kong, we are in the process of hacking together our
own RFID door lock which checks membership database and logs entry
data.

The RFID system we chose is based on the ISO14443C Sony Felica
standard, which is also used by the ubiquitous "Octopus" card. The
card is used for small purchase and public transportation payments in
Hong Kong, and is carried by almost everyone in HKG. It is also a card
system widely used in China, India, Singapore, Thailand, Philadelphia,
Bagladesh, and Japan.

Let me know if anyone is interested in more information about our system.

-William Liang
BootHK

Joel Bennett

Oct 22, 2010, 9:01:37 AM10/22/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Jesse- It’s worked fine for our purposes.  I read the same reviews and found most of the issues were reported more than a year ago before they tweaked some things and expanded their product line.  That said, there are some limitations to how much you can do with them.  For example: PRO: I love that I can set up scheduled events, like turn a light on at dusk and have it run until 10p for our folks who come in after hours to work.  CON: I would like to set it up that the doors automatically unlock at 8a and lock at 5p (and require passcode entry) M-F… but the system doesn’t allow scheduled lockouts at this time.  All this said, for us it was great to have individual passcodes for everyone, me to have access to check on/manage the space remotely from a pc or my smartphone, and generally feel more connected.  I was also glad not to be passing copies of keys around or managing “lost” keys.

I’d give it 4 stars (out of 5)…more for what I wish was there additionally then any huge issues we have had with it.

One more thing… the info I found online overstates the monthly investment you actually make.  I think they are offering your first 2 months free before charging you a nominal $9.53 (fee+tax) for the “mobile” access.  Many websites are using their old rates of $12.99 in their write-ups.

Would be happy to provide more detail if you need it.

Thanks & God Bless,

Joel Bennett

Chief Dreamchaser

Veel Hoeden, LLC

641-780-7858

veelh...@gmail.com

http://veelhoeden.posterous.com/

http://www.twitter.com/veelhoeden

Jes

Nov 17, 2010, 3:38:00 PM11/17/10
to Coworking
Hey Jacob,

Reading through these messages as a newcomer, there wasn't much I
could comment on, but this one I can! I will be using Isonas door
access control system. It's an RFID system that is panel free. Most
importantly, I will be able to program cards and numbers from my house
as I will not always be at the space. It's easy to grow with as there
are no panels, and I can program certain doors to be unlocked at
specific times (conference rooms and such)...again from a remote
location. A little disclaimer is that my dad is an owner of the
company, so in between deciding on everything else, this was an easy
one!

Jes

Jon Buford

Nov 18, 2010, 12:44:21 AM11/18/10
to Coworking
Just to follow up on our progress with our system. We just used off
the shelf reader components and have cobbled it together with a spare
netbook. The down side is that it is roll your own. The good side is
that it will be flexible for us and potentially we can turn it into an
open source project.

Our next step is to update the hardware to simplify things so that it
can be run via USB/system power only, and does not need additional
components or a processor to handle the signaling from the PC to the
lock. Currently it is using an Arduino to handle the lock activation
via USB.

So, the cool thing about this is that we are not issuing any cards to
anyone here, as everyone in HK generally has at least one card that
works with the ISO standards our reader works with.

Cheers,

Jon

@jonbuford
@boothkorg
> > veelhoe...@gmail.com
>
> >http://veelhoeden.posterous.com/
>
> >http://www.twitter.com/veelhoeden

Jacob Sayles

Nov 23, 2010, 3:33:49 PM11/23/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, Jessica Hulse
Jes,

We have an ISONAS system at Office Nomads and for the most part it works fine.  The problem is that even though it is panel free, it requires a dedicated windows box which essentially, is a panel.  Also, the software on it has an interface only an engineer could love that is way too complex for a simple 2 door system like we have at our space.  I posted this message because we are looking to open a 2nd space and I do not want to buy this system again because of the software.

One solution would be to write our own software.  The folks at ISONAS were nice enough to give us a spec and we figured out it would be pretty straight forward to write a new driver for the hardware.  We can run the doors in stand-alone mode greatly simplifying the requirements.  Office Nomads can't afford to pay for the development of this on our own.  Do you think ISONAS would be interested in covering the development costs in return for better software?  Can your father ask around in the company and connect me with someone I can talk to about this?

This could be a lot of fun.  :)

Jacob

---

Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Frederik Denkens

Nov 25, 2010, 8:02:24 AM11/25/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

We are considering getting something going based on the Arduino DIY platform and a magnetic lock. Advantages of the platform: open, cheap and extendable.

Our requirements:

- Remote programable (as in the case for operating 2 spaces) through ethernet or Wifi
- Open (eg no proprietary software/platforms/licensing)
- Able to drive an electronic lock
- Work with RFID tags (and maybe later on with Bluetooth and sms because that's just cool :-)
- Cheap
- Only used for day-lock, so potential reliability issues are more manageable

Regards,

Frederik.

Frederik Denkens
ASPACE coworking

Jonathan Buford

Nov 25, 2010, 8:35:36 AM11/25/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
That is exactly what we've done, but we are currently using a netbook
for the glue. See earlier about the boot.hk details.

Cheers,

Jon

@jonbuford

Jacob Sayles

Nov 25, 2010, 9:06:12 AM11/25/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
There are two projects I know of that are making their own systems like this.  Workentile and Bucketworks are both crafting solutions and we are going to have a hackathon in December to talk about a unified solution and the software that goes with it.  You should reach out to those two groups and see if you can join them.  Of course there is also a certain satisfaction that comes from rolling your own.  If you do, please connect back so we can all learn from your experience.

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Frederik Denkens

Nov 25, 2010, 3:46:14 PM11/25/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Jacob,

Thanks for the pointers! I just sent them both an email, let's see what comes back.

In any case if we do come up with something working, we'll be sure to share our experience.

Regards,

Frederik.

Andy Soell

May 30, 2014, 1:24:20 PM5/30/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, fred...@denkens.com
Resurrecting a very old thread here, but I'm curious to hear some more recent recommendations for entry security. We've been using a Nexia/Schlage door lock (mentioned in this thread) and it's worked great for us. The problem is that we're quickly approaching our 30-code limit and will need to move on to something that works for more users. I'd love to keep the cost in the same ballpark, what relatively inexpensive options have people found? I'm not adverse to DIY options, as long as it's reliable and not *too* complex to set up.

andy

Stav

May 31, 2014, 6:23:32 AM5/31/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, fred...@denkens.com
Hey guys. At The Cube in Athens, we use an iCon170 RFID system from SecurityBulgaria.com it was very affordable and it has a good API too that allows you to post  to databases among other things.

Stavros

Martin

Jun 1, 2014, 8:52:46 PM6/1/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
I'm really anxious to get my hands on a Goji and see how we can replace the biometric sensor we now have for access control. Its too bad they aren't shipping until Nov.

http://www.gojiaccess.com

Angel Kwiatkowski

Jun 2, 2014, 9:59:03 AM6/2/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
I'm going to reply to this in detail soon. I promise. I have SO many opinions and have now tried 5 different kinds of locks. Stay tuned! I bet you're just wetting your pants with anticipation!

Jay Chubb

Jun 2, 2014, 10:55:53 AM6/2/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
Actually I'm just on this post right now, I'm totally dying for some info! I'm on a tight budget after a huge fitout and I'm stuck using old school keys. Someone in Melbourne has a Lockitron prototype and they say it works great, but it and Goji just seem vaporware with these huge delays. I'm also not super technical, so some of the roll your own stuff feels way beyond me. Can't wait for your response!

Cheers, Jay

Angel Kwiatkowski

Jun 3, 2014, 12:35:48 PM6/3/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
Locks that Cohere has used.

A regular door lock that uses a key.
I don't recommend this. It's cumbersome to issue keys, get the keys back, remember to lock and unlock the door. If you're staffed all the time, you don't have to worry about this. Cohere is largely unstaffed.
_________________________________
http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-FE575-PLY-626-ELA/dp/B001COEZTU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401812326&sr=8-2&keywords=schlage+keyless

For interior door that members use to get in to the coworking space.
Pros-easy to program, easy to use, keypad lights up
Cons-it relocks every time the door closes so members have to code in every time (considering our patio, breakroom, conference room and bathrooms on on the other side of the door they're coding in A LOT)
______________________________
We had the link-less version of this on our exterior door at our first space. It was easy to program. Each member got their own code so I could delete them when they left and you could put a code in at the start of the day that would keep the door open until you put the code back in at night.

Pros-pretty easy to program, I liked the continuous pass through feature
Cons-only works well if staff can remember to unlock/lock it each day
_________________________________

This is what we just installed on our interior aluminum storefront doors. This is a mechanical lock which makes it cheaper but you can only have ONE code at a time and you really have to press the numbers to make them work.

Pros-no batteries or fancy bells and whistles. The cheapest storefront narrow stile lock you can get. It looks nice
Cons-you have to remove the lock completely to change the code <---yikes. It's best to have a real locksmith install this badboy. Keypad doesn't light up and our hallway is dark-ish. It got installed kind of low on the door so you really have to bend over to punch in the numbers.
_________________________________

This guy is a show-off. You can program it 6 ways to Sunday but you never will because it's ridiculous.

Pro-get your landlord to pay for this one :) It's commercial quality, solid and works like a charm. You can program it a thousand different ways if you have a degree in commercial code programming.
Cons-you have to have a disk in a computer that actually has a disk drive and then hook up your computer to the lock with a little cable. You change everything in the computer program then push the info into the lock via the cable. I have done this exactly 3 times in 2 years and plan to never do it again unless some crackhead unjoins Cohere and we fear for our security. If that happens, we have bigger problems then just our door lock.

Alex Hillman

Jun 3, 2014, 12:44:38 PM6/3/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, Jacob Sayles
This list is awesome, thank you Angel!

--

/ah
indyhall.org

Joel Bennett- Veel Hoeden

Jun 3, 2014, 2:31:02 PM6/3/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
+10. **spit out my coffee upon reading "unless some crakhead unjoins..."

Well done Angel.

We went with the Shlagelink version and have been pretty happy because I can see who uses the space (and lock/unlock the door) with my phone. They are technically not rated for commercial applications, but we get around this by sleeping in our space from time to time so I rate us residential. :) Hey... we're a community, not a workspace.

Joel

---

Jeannine

Jun 4, 2014, 4:42:21 AM6/4/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
Double coffee spit on the crackhead.  :-)

We presently have a regular key lock at all locations, which is not a huge problem since there is almost always somebody in the space (or the space is always staffed) so we just have to coordinate who is on front.  But at Kamer52 I want to try a keypad, mostly because I am gone all summer to the US and this means that the evening shift has to be staffed by somebody other than me --Kamer52 for those who dont know, is attached to my house so since I live here the evening shift is fairly straightforward.

We just had a break in this week so I have to replace the lock anyway  The locksmith guy I got to change the lock is recommending a keypad coupled with a keyed lock, to which only we have a key.  So we would have to physically  unlock the door in the morning and lock it again in the evening.

It looks like programming will not be a problem, it does not I think track who was there and who was not, but I am not sure we really need that, since we know each other anyway.  It might have been nice for ease of billing for the occasionals but K52, not being urban, doesn't have those that often.  I think that might be the difference.

What I really want is an Arudino open system too, but at the moment I haven't got the time to invest in another hobby.  I am considering having my spouse (who teaches IT) offer it to some of his graduating students as a project, I could take them on as interns I think.

Actually, if anybody else is still interested in this also we could probably develop it in a collaborative way.  You do get better interns like that.  Let me know!

Cristina Santamarina

Jun 4, 2014, 6:25:24 AM6/4/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I've been stuck with a blog post and page for our learn.cobot.me page for ages.

I (really) hate locks by now.

But have anyone here tried any of the following access system?

* Intellify
* Lockitron (unsure if they are out yet............)
* August
* Usher

Mojo

Jun 4, 2014, 6:58:08 AM6/4/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
This is quite the exploratory list.  I would suggest one addition lock to consider.  This is fully programmable, durable (i.e. heavy duty for a lot of traffic) and allows you to set automatic daily open and lock times. It also allows you to require users have a key fob and code if you choose.   We used this at our first location and loved it.

Toby Krout

Jun 4, 2014, 9:30:06 AM6/4/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Jun 4, 2014, 11:42:36 AM6/4/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
I use this from LockState.
Pros: It stores up to 200 codes so I can give everyone an individual code, very easy to add and take away codes, have an unlock function for traditional open hours.
Cons: A member or person needs to permanently lock/unlock the code for closing time.

Citizen Space- Member Services Desk

Jun 4, 2014, 2:00:07 PM6/4/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Everyone,

This email is for anyone who is interested in Lockitron. We (Citizen Space) have had a long history with Positron since 2010. We were lucky to have them as members, and be one of the earliest users (for better or worst).  I have also installed one of the more sophisticated implementations of the product at our sister space, Connection SF. The product is stable, and our members absolutely love it.  If you have any specific questions about the product, drop us an email directly at man...@citizenspace.us , or if you need an inside connect to get you a lock NOW because you need it for your space.

You can also come check the product and meet the founders at the Coworking Week 2014 in SF August 2nd-9th.  If you would like to participate, you can still grab 100% FREE tickets until this Friday at  http://coworkingweek2014.eventbrite.com/

Any space operators or brands interested in organizing your own Coworking week event, or sponsoring ours can join our organizers conference call next week by emailing us your contact info, and we will add you to the email list of organizers.

Kind regards,
Toby

--
Citizen Space
Direct: 415-501-9155

Jay at Nest Coworking

Jun 4, 2014, 2:06:20 PM6/4/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Hi there, I'm Jay from Nest Coworking in Melbourne. I actually came over there and met you at Citizen Space 2 years ago. Hi!  I've heard great things about Lockitron as a product and it would elegantly some all our access problems here, but I thought everyone was just waiting for it, late on shipping. If there was any way you could get us access to one, we'd be mighty grateful!

---

Andy Soell

Jun 6, 2014, 5:49:10 PM6/6/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Love all these reviews, thanks for all the guidance everyone! Does anyone have any experience with a newer Bluetooth-enabled locked called Kevo? Works with iOS devices, and also supports key fobs for users with other mobile phone platforms.

http://www.kwikset.com/Kevo/

Looks promising, but I'm always a little wary of newer, untested products.

Rachel Cline

Jul 12, 2014, 11:43:33 PM7/12/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Kevo looks great!  thanks for sharing.  Have you found any additional information or reviews?

Andy Soell

Jul 14, 2014, 9:30:54 AM7/14/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
The one thing I would recommend, if you’re looking at Kevo, is to make sure you understand how their “ekey” pricing model works. Unless I’m grossly misunderstanding, it looks like the way it works is that you have to pay for packs of virtual “keys” to give to people before they can unlock it with their phone. It seems a bit ridiculous to me that you have to pay for the hardware and then pay again for each user you want to be able to unlock the hardware. If you have a lot of members, the cost for the Kevo system could end up being quite a bit higher than expected if you were only looking at the cost of the hardware.

rachel cline

Jul 14, 2014, 9:34:34 AM7/14/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, cowo...@googlegroups.com
Good info, I saw the fobs cost about $25, I didn't notice you had to pay for each virtual key also.

Rachel Cline
Sent from my iPhone

Citizen Space- Member Services Desk

Jul 14, 2014, 1:03:18 PM7/14/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I know this is a reoccurring subject, so I wanted to stress how much we LOVE Lockitron here at Citizen Space. The cost is very affordable for a small space, for larger spaces they have a “commercial” version which we will have at Coworking Week next month. They don't charge any fees for “keys” , so as a coworking space you don't need to worry about can you manager 10 members, or 2000. If your really interested in learning more & some hands on time, come on down to SF for the Shared Economy Hackathon which is totally FREE & sponsored by Lockitron & Apigee. Register for FREE SF Coworking Week tickets sponsored by our latest sponsor: https://twitter.com/ECOsystmSF launching in SF during Coworking Week 2014.
Get Tickets here: https://coworkingweek2014.eventbrite.com/ use code: #ecosystem

If you are interested in hosting your own Coworking Week event, you can get all the info in this Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/coworking/hnnHEnP0zHc

Anyone interested in sponsoring, or speaking at the Unconference on Saturday, August 9th, please email el...@citizenspace.us , or call 415-501-9155

Kind regards,
Toby

--
Citizen Space
Direct: 415-501-9155
Skype: citizenspace
http://www.citizenspace.us
Twitter: http://twitter.com/citizenspace
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/citizenspace
"A Nicer Place to Work"

Jacob Sayles

Jul 14, 2014, 1:17:49 PM7/14/14
to coworking
I'm down here in San Francisco now, knee deep in renovations for The Red Victorian and working on their door lock solution.  We don't want to use any smart phone systems (Kevo, Lockitron, August, etc) because we can't know for sure what kind of phone our guests will have, if they will even have phones, or if they are charged when they arrive.  We want to go with a personalized key code that can be generated and emailed to them using the reservation system we built.  For that we are hooking up the existing electric strike on the front gate to a raspberry pi and a wiegand keypad.  The next bit of magic will be to hook up each room with a Kwikset SmartCode lock and push the generated code to the given room, and turn off the previous occupants code.

The advantages of going with the Kwikset are that it can use the existing lock tumblers so we can keep the large amount of room keys we already have.  Also at around $120-$150 the price is right for outfitting 20+ doors.  People have been getting really excited about the idea of outfitting each door with a raspberry pi but by the time we get power, servos, and a durable enclosure hooked up it's going to be a lot more expensive.  One pi at the front door calling all the shots is all we need.  Of course I have to figure out how to send the key codes to each door so there is more R&D needed.  I'm also working to figure out the Wiegand protocol to hook up the keypad.  If anyone has played with this, please reach out.

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.

Andy Soell

Jul 14, 2014, 1:23:00 PM7/14/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
As long as we're back on electronic locks, we're looking for a good solution for our new location. The existing door is glass with a narrow stile frame that won't accommodate a standard deadbolt sized solution. If you search for door-code style locks for door like this on Amazon, you get a lot of results but none of them with enough purchases to figure out if they're good or not. Angel mentioned one earlier in this thread that would work, but it wasn't very favorably reviewed by her. Does anyone have any tips on a door code lock like this that they would recommend? I definitely want something with easily programmable codes we can give our members and not fobs or smartphone integration.

andy

Kenton Hansen

Jul 14, 2014, 1:37:18 PM7/14/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We lucked out with our building. It was used as a realty office before, so it had a electronic keypad lock from Simplex

I like it overall.
  • Pros:
    • Made for the thin doors like you're describing
    • six digit codes are all that it takes to open the door, no key, no fob, no additional cost
    • programmable actions like "If a code from this group is entered on a weekday between 7am and 9am, unlock the door" and "auto lock at 5pm" so the space is open even if I'm on vacation, and it doesn't stay open on a holiday.
    • I have a csv file in my dropbox so I can send anyone a keycode for any reason if I want (as long as I keep track of who has which)
    • 4 year on the same watch battery
  • Cons
    • The software for mine requires a physical connection to the lock (so I just generate 150 codes at a time, makes lock maintenance a quarterly project). I think the current locks have wifi.
    • the software for mine only runs on Windows XP

Jacob Sayles

Jul 14, 2014, 1:56:18 PM7/14/14
to coworking
For something like that Andy you probably want to focus on if the door jam can hold and electric strike.  They are easier to deal with actually but residential products focus on the deadbolt because that is a standard residential doors.  We have a lot more to work with in commercial spaces.

As for codes vs RFID vs physical keys vs phones: It's important to understand the advantages and disadvantages each brings to the situation.  The RedVic need codes we can email people like I described, but I'm generally against codes as they are too easy to copy, pass on, overhear, etc.  Keys are too hard to revoke and change so at Office Nomads we go with RFID.  Phone solutions I'm sure work great here in tech savvy San Francisco so I'm not surprised at all they work great for you Toby.  I wonder how that would work even in Seattle and it makes me wonder what I would come up with if I looked at the phones of every member that had a key.  We already have an RFID solution so that would mostly be academic.

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Citizen Space- Member Services Desk

Jul 14, 2014, 2:04:05 PM7/14/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
For the Connections SF Space I did implement Lockitron using a strike plate, also tied FOB’s to the system which could also be used for your hotel room door, and to access the workspace doors. For members of the workspace only, they use mobile devices to access the building of the hotel, and the door into the workspace. They also have an API, so you can integrate into any existing reservations systems, etc.

Jacob,

What are doing in SF? Make sure you come by to catch up, and please plan on having lunch one day in our Food Truck park directly next door to Citizen Space on 2nd.

Toby

On 7/14/14, 10:56 AM, "Jacob Sayles" <ja...@officenomads.com> wrote:

[...]

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Andy Soell <aso...@gmail.com> wrote:
As long as we're back on electronic locks, we're looking for a good solution for our new location. The existing door is glass with a narrow stile <http://www.customstorefronts.com/products/doors/aluminum/aluminum.htm>  frame that won't accommodate a standard deadbolt sized solution. If you search for door-code style locks for door like this on Amazon, you get a lot of results but none of them with enough purchases to figure out if they're good or not. Angel mentioned one earlier in this thread that would work, but it wasn't very favorably reviewed by her. Does anyone have any tips on a door code lock like this that they would recommend? I definitely want something with easily programmable codes we can give our members and not fobs or smartphone integration.

andy

On Monday, July 14, 2014 1:17:49 PM UTC-4, Jacob Sayles wrote:
I'm down here in San Francisco now, knee deep in renovations for The Red Victorian <http://www.redvic.com>  and working on their door lock solution.  We don't want to use any smart phone systems (Kevo, Lockitron, August, etc) because we can't know for sure what kind of phone our guests will have, if they will even have phones, or if they are charged when they arrive.  We want to go with a personalized key code that can be generated and emailed to them using the reservation system we built.  For that we are hooking up the existing electric strike on the front gate to a raspberry pi and a wiegand keypad.  The next bit of magic will be to hook up each room with a Kwikset SmartCode lock and push the generated code to the given room, and turn off the previous occupants code.

The advantages of going with the Kwikset are that it can use the existing lock tumblers so we can keep the large amount of room keys we already have.  Also at around $120-$150 the price is right for outfitting 20+ doors.  People have been getting really excited about the idea of outfitting each door with a raspberry pi but by the time we get power, servos, and a durable enclosure hooked up it's going to be a lot more expensive.  One pi at the front door calling all the shots is all we need.  Of course I have to figure out how to send the key codes to each door so there is more R&D needed.  I'm also working to figure out the Wiegand protocol to hook up the keypad.  If anyone has played with this, please reach out.

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500 <tel:%28206%29%20323-6500>

Toby Krout

Jul 15, 2014, 10:18:03 PM7/15/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
My recommendation: Chui

Facial recognition door access, for $199. Works with Lockitron.

-Toby

Full disclosure: investor
(+ co-working space owner)

Jorge Vargas

Jul 27, 2014, 9:35:29 PM7/27/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, aso...@gmail.com, ja...@officenomads.com
Hey Andy,

We have that same problem here our front door is glass. Our solution is good and works however it's terrible software. ok not terrible but outdated well not outdated but I"m a techy so it's bad for me. Anyhow the whole installation was about 1500USD and the keycards go at about 2-3USD each, we got 100 so that's like 1200 for the hardware plus installation. I'm sure you can get your local distributor to make a quote http://rbh-access.com/products/integra32/software. With proximity readers and a

the good
- We don't have to deal with access.
- New staffer can greed people by their name cause the software says so and so logged in.
- You can set access times for everyone
- can grow A LOT. It's what's used in our building (16 stories about 50 or more readers and this is an small installation)

the bad
- if there is a power outage (no matter how minimal) your door will be wide open.
- Some members leave and never turn down their key which is a lost.
- It's desktop software that works only on windows. Although I just noticed they have a web something... will look into that.
- No API of any kind, data is stored in access YUK.

Jane Behr

Sep 7, 2014, 1:31:36 PM9/7/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Chui is WAY TOO COOL for my small town and my modest coworking space, but I ordered one anyway, along with the Lockitron.  THEORETICALLY, the Chui addresses the major potential weakness of the Lockitron as a stand-alone - what to do if one of your members doesn't have a phone, or the phone isn't charged - and also acts as a wireless intercom. (Honestly, I think EVERYONE has a phone, and I don't see it as much of a weakness - but it's good to have back-up/redundant systems.)

When our Lockitron/Chui system is set up I will report back to the group with pros and cons.

I am new to the group - thanks much to everyone for taking the time to share experiences and expertise.

Joy! from Jane

Jamie Russo

Oct 10, 2014, 10:05:35 AM10/10/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Jane, did you get any idea of shipping time from Lockitron? Their site hasn't been updated since April and I read that they haven't yet shipped all Lockitrons to their backers...but some folks on this list seem to have them. Thanks!

Jacob Sayles

Oct 14, 2014, 4:10:34 PM10/14/14
to coworking
Yeah they are working through a lot of manufacturing issues but they are being nice and transparent about it.

On this topic we are talking here at Office Nomads about if we want to continue to develop the lock I built for The Red Victorian this summer.  I'd love to see a solid open source solution with a modular hardware design.  If anyone is interested in working on this with me let me know.

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Jane Behr

Oct 14, 2014, 4:17:59 PM10/14/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Just exchanged emails with someone from Lockitron - originally they said my order would be shipped "in October" but when I went back to the website to check the status, found broken links and couldn't find my order.  They said the website will be fixed "very soon" and all dates have been pushed back but I should receive my order "very soon" - huh.  :-)  Only folks who ordered very early - during kickstarter days - have received their orders.  My order was placed in early September and I'll be lucky to get it by the end of November, I think.  I will report back to the group when I hear more.

Jamie Russo

Oct 20, 2014, 5:49:13 PM10/20/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jane and Jacob!

Cheryl Jaycox

Oct 21, 2014, 12:56:09 PM10/21/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
Jacob,

I too am looking for feed back on electronic door locks....Please let me know what you find out....

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:09:34 PM UTC-5, Jacob Sayles wrote:
Hello,

The topic of electronic (RFID) door locks has come up a few times and I wanted to revisit it.  Who out there now is looking for a solution?  Who is keeping an eye out for something cool to come along and interested if one does?

Jacob Sayles

Oct 21, 2014, 1:06:14 PM10/21/14
to coworking
There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread.  Things fall in to a few distinct categories:

1)  Traditional Commercial Systems.
These are the big expensive installs with a central panel and all doors on electric strikes.  Even "simpler" systems like the ISONAS system we have at ON fall in this category.

2)  Commercial -> Residential cross over.
These are from home brands like Kwikset and Schlage and replace the deadbolt on most doors.  They take a lot of design cues from the traditional systems and for most small installs will work great.  They are cheaper but you have to program them at the door.

3)  Fancy new "smart" systems.
This is the Lockitron and the August, etc.  They use your phone, an app, or your bluetooth ID.

* ) Then there are the roll-your-own systems like the one I built.  I'm going to build another one for my home, mostly for fun, and I'm looking in to what it would look like to replace the system we have at ON.  The main feature I'm going for is full integration with Nadine, the system we use to run our space.

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Jane Behr

Nov 17, 2014, 9:35:25 AM11/17/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Lockitron is not working out for us.  They're backed up and are now saying they can't fulfill our order until after the new year.  Even more importantly, our local fire marshal thinks the Lockitron is a TERRIBLE idea.  We can't have our door locked while anyone is inside - egress has to be single motion unlatching of a door lever.  Since our occupancy with be under 49, she's not requiring a crash bar, but we would not pass inspection with a deadbolt system like Lockitron.  SO - I guess I'll use my new Lockitron (if I ever get it) on my door at home.  For the coworking space... still trying to figure it out.

Jane

Jerome Chang

Nov 17, 2014, 2:44:53 PM11/17/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
One workaround could be posting on the door, “Doors to remain unlocked during business hours” - that’s how many retail stores use fancy glass types of doors without ugly panic bars.

Barbara Sprenger

Nov 18, 2014, 1:32:20 PM11/18/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
Hi Jacob,
We have standardized on Paxton, and we're very happy with them. We're using a battery powered and wifi enabled lock on every office and conference room door. Easy to install without wiring to each door (except outside doors, which are wired). These units have the scanner built into the door handle, so when we leave a place, we can just put the old handles back on and take the Paxton scanner/locks with us. We've brought our costs down on these systems to about ⅓ of our original costs. We'll shortly be tying them into our software, DeskWorks, for automatic posting of charges. Our Center Coordinators now start the day (takes about 5 minutes) to post any charges from the day before for anyone who has a less than full-time plan. Really expands the available market!

Barbara Sprenger

Jacob Sayles

Nov 18, 2014, 6:53:18 PM11/18/14
to coworking
Wow that sounds like a pretty great feature set Barbara.  I'll have to dig in to their hardware. I hadn't heard of them before.  Thank you for the tip!  I'd love to integrate something in to Nadine, our software, as well.  Let me know how that goes for DeskWorks.

Jacob

Satellite

Nov 18, 2014, 9:19:19 PM11/18/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Will do.
And if you ever want to see DeskWorks, I'm happy to show you!
Barbara Sprenger

pastedGraphic.pdf

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Dec 5, 2014, 1:47:44 PM12/5/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
I was talking to member about this wish list for the door and he has built something similar for his house with a raspberry pi. He would be very interested in developing a project and putting it out to the coworking world based on a common set of specs. He could open-source everything in a package or we could possibly just buy them from him.

My requests were:

Work as a deadbolt
Keypad access
Monitor to see if the door is locked
Have it unlock and lock up at certain times of the day
Edit codes from the web

He is a good developer and loves these types of projects. I'm going to have it create two for Creative Density but I would love to hear your feed and to see if anyone else would like to be involved.

Tom Brandt

Dec 5, 2014, 3:20:00 PM12/5/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
At Workantile we built our own solution using (now obsolete) Maker boards, and our own membership software that I wrote. Since the Maker boards are no longer made, we are putting together a project to replace them with Raspberry Pi units (what's the plural of Raspberry Pi, anyway? Raspberry Pis doesn't look right).

Our solution uses rfid fobs issued to each member, with an rfid scanner connected to a Maker board at each door. The member holds up the rfid fob up to the scanner. The Maker board sends an HTTP GET request which includes the rfid serial number to the membership software, which looks up the serial number and sends an OK response if the serial number belongs to a current member, or an ERROR response if it does not. If an OK response is received, the Maker board releases the strike plate on the door so the member can open it.

Once we get the Raspberry Pi solution working, we plan on open sourcing everything including the code running on the Pi and the Rails app that is our membership software. The Rails app is probably too specific to Workantile for people to use as is, but it could help someone get started if they were looking for a custom solution for their own community.

---

twb
member, Workantile
@twbrandt

Daniel Rivera

Dec 7, 2014, 11:04:52 PM12/7/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
Did you get your hands on a Goji? I just saw the video and pricing. Seems like it would be a good fit for a coworking space.

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 7:52:46 PM UTC-5, Martin wrote:
I'm really anxious to get my hands on a Goji and see how we can replace the biometric sensor we now have for access control. Its too bad they aren't shipping until Nov.

http://www.gojiaccess.com

Satellite

Dec 7, 2014, 11:27:32 PM12/7/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, ja...@officenomads.com
We’ve standardized on a Paxton RFID door lock system. We can get RFID scanner and door lock built into a battery powered, WiFi handle. If we leave, we just put the old door lock back on, and take the door lock with us. We use one on every office and conference room door, along with entrance doors. We’ve tested tying this into our cowork management software, but the final on that is a little way out. We’ve been able to bring the price down to about a third of our original system — and we’re really happy with the whole setup! It enables us to much more accurately track usage without a lot of hassle.

Barbara Sprenger

pastedGraphic.pdf

Nicole Skorka - Sunnyside Station, Denver, CO, USA

Sep 16, 2015, 11:06:50 AM9/16/15
to Coworking
Have any of you heard about or tested the Cal-Royal rs2000 electronic lock?

http://www.gokeyless.com/product/2660/2/cal-royal-rs2000-electronic-phone-lock
http://www.cal-royal.com/product.php?p=138

It seems pretty versatile and purchasing RFID keys on Amazon is pretty cheap.

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Sep 16, 2015, 12:00:37 PM9/16/15
to Coworking
We have gone with Schlage Connect Deadbolt with a door sensor and are very happy with it for a smaller space of 55 members. It does have a limit of 30 codes but we just double people up. The deadbolt, matching handle, door sensor, and hub ran for $375  without any monthly fees.

I have it working with the Smart Things Hub that recently just updated their product and I have the older version. It was easy to connect it to their app and I was up and running in an hour or so. I like it because I easy give access to other members when they watch over the space while I'm traveling or have it automatically to auto lock after someone leaves after a certain time, for us at 5:30 when we 'close.'

Barbara Sprenger

Sep 16, 2015, 12:15:54 PM9/16/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicole,
This looked interesting, so we called the manufacturer. They’re coming out with a new version next year. This one doesn’t quite make it, at least for our application. You have to download new member access numbers separately to each door lock through the app on your phone. There’s no wifi access yet, which would let you just program the system all together. Only 127 access codes per lock — we rarely have less than 200 active members. No way to open the doors remotely.

We use Paxton locks. They’re battery-powered and wifi-enables. We put them on every office, conference room and entry door, so we can track usage 24/7 — helps a lot with making a center sustainable so you can maximize usage and revenue. (And we can take them with us when we leave a space!) They brought cost down a lot (they were about 15% of other systems), but now price is going up so we’re looking around.

---

sh...@colab-factory.com

Nov 30, 2015, 10:20:36 AM11/30/15
to Coworking, ja...@officenomads.com
After looking at hard keys, RFID cards,  schlagelock system (looks really good as well btw) we are going with KISI door systems.  KISI is an app on the members phone, and is therefore the key. See will check back in to let you know how it works in real time.  But I will say one of the founders got on the phone and performed a one-on-one demo with us.  Additionally it doesn't hurt that Nexudus, our back end Coworking management software is linked to this key system.

Shane

Sarah Bacerra

Jan 28, 2016, 2:26:17 PM1/28/16
to Coworking, ja...@officenomads.com
Hi Shane,

We are seriously considering KISI for our space and also use Nexudus. Have you implemented it yet? If so, what has your experience been and what headaches, if any, are involved with this system?

Thanks!
Sarah

Bernhard Mehl

Jan 29, 2016, 8:18:23 AM1/29/16
to Coworking, ja...@officenomads.com
Sarah,

Bernhard here from KISI :) You're always happy to chat with other spaces who use KISI, let us know if you need some contacts.

Also we have a new feature coming out which might be interesting: Calendar integration. That way you can have all guests that come to your space issue a temporary key for the time of their meeting in the space.

Bernhard

Sarah Bacerra

Jan 29, 2016, 5:37:49 PM1/29/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
That's good to know. Thanks, Bernhard!

---

Sarah Bacerra | Community Director and Marketing Manager | Hera Hub | tel: 815.540.4853 fax: 877.437.7277
sa...@herahub.com | herahub.com | facebook.com/herahub

twitter.com/herahub | pinterest.com/herahub LinkedIn.com | Google+

Take a look at Hera Hub's features on BBC News and in FINE Magazine

Locations: SORRENTO VALLEY MISSION VALLEY / CARLSBAD

Learn more about franchise opportunities – www.HeraHubFranchise.com

Jenny at eeko studio

Jan 30, 2016, 8:28:41 AM1/30/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious about this too Sarah!

HOOT HOOT,
Kindest Regards,
Jenny Poon | founder of ideas

I create here: eekostudio.com
I connect here: Cohoots.com
I inspire here: freshwordsmarket.com
I give back here: cohootsfdn.com
602.738.8001

Please excuse the brevity of my message. Sent from a fancy device.

Sent using CloudMagic Email

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.

Brian Crotty

Jan 30, 2016, 2:40:36 PM1/30/16
to Coworking, ja...@officenomads.com
A chime-in from Brian at Cobot.

We have spaces using a whole series of solutions with Cobot - we have an add-on built to allow you to register almost any card-reading device and have it coordinate directly with your plans in Cobot.  If a member has an active plan, they get access to the space via their RFID card, if not - they don't get access.  More details are here: https://www.cobot.me/guides/rfid-swipe-card-check-in

The spaces are using a whole series of different solutions based on their size and IT proficiency. You can literally pick an RFID reader from Amazon, or you can work with a company to install a system and have coordinate with your Cobot system. I know several of our larger spaces/space networks are working with Brivo (http://www.brivo.com/).  And I can also say that we have also been working with the folks at KISI and will be offering a Cobot/KISI integration in the near future.

The good part with these systems is, even though it takes a bit of work to get it setup once well at the beginning - then it will be automatic moving forward.

Karen Taborda

Feb 1, 2016, 2:06:22 PM2/1/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jenny,

That is great to hear. Which tool is interesting to you?

Cheers,
Karen
--
Karen Taborda
Sales Manager

KISI Inc.
20 Jay Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Check out my recent blogpost on how to check if your office needs a new security system

Jason Alinen

Dawn Baird

Karen Taborda

Mar 3, 2016, 11:44:55 AM3/3/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dawn,

I am taking the liberty of sending you info on what KISI and what it can do!  Here is a video as quick overview, Demo Video 1, Demo Video 2, case study and our catalog as reference. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Karen

---

Keith Pandeloglou

Mar 21, 2016, 7:53:10 PM3/21/16
to Coworking
Thanks Karen! I'm interested in a demo for our new coworking space in Lakewood Ranch, FL.

Jonathan Polon

Mar 22, 2016, 10:59:55 AM3/22/16
to Coworking, ja...@officenomads.com
Hello,

My name is Jon Polon, I am with Brivo (Brivo.com).  We have provided a purely cloud-based access control solution since 2002 that is a good solution for shared workspaces and have released a Mobile Pass. More information can be found below.

If you are interested in further information I can be reached at Jonatha...@brivo.com.

Thank you,
Jon