Experience with MPLC for movie license

Oscar Gala Grano

Oct 8, 2016, 3:00:03 PM10/8/16
to Coworking
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with getting an umbrella license from mplc.org for showing movies in a coworking space?
We have a 200" screen and I would love to be able to use it for movies. I don't want to charge an admission fee or make a profit, but it would just be a fun use to have movie nights!

When I called the mplc they said my scenario doesn't fit into their licensing model, but I don't understand why and they are not giving me a clear reason.

Would love to hear from other experiences!

Caner Onoglu

Oct 14, 2016, 1:24:49 PM10/14/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

I would rather have free movies in public domain without copyright..having them will be even cooler.

---

Tony Bacigalupo

Oct 14, 2016, 4:52:01 PM10/14/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I think if you're not charging, you can probably go far without getting any permission. We did movie nights with our 200" screen as a friendly thing for members and friends and never ran into any trouble.

But that being said, I'd love to hear if anyone else has had or heard otherwise...

Tony

Tom Lewis

Oct 18, 2016, 5:36:00 AM10/18/16
to Coworking
When we launched our film nights we decided it was very important for us to get the correct license and pay our way.  The reason?  We're a creative and tech led workspace, and therefore are full of people who believe in the principle of artists and creatives getting paid for their work, and therefore by not paying correctly (which we could easily do, no one would ever notice/care) we'd be letting our members down.

Tony Bacigalupo

Oct 18, 2016, 10:07:08 AM10/18/16
to coworking
Fair!

In that case, if the MLPC is a dead-end, perhaps you can put it to your community to collectively help determine the most ethical course of action.

Oscar Gala Grano

Oct 20, 2016, 4:23:44 PM10/20/16
to Coworking
That's the way I feel about it, too.  What license for which company did you use for your film nights?

Tom Lewis

Oct 21, 2016, 4:16:12 AM10/21/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We're in the UK and use Film Bank Media http://www.filmbankmedia.com/ - costs around £90 per showing for us (not for profit and not charging for admission)

Tom Lewis
Cowork Inc
p: 01225 583222 m: 07920 584658 a: The Guild Coworking Hub, High Street, Bath, BA1 5EB

Subscribe to the Cowork Inc podcast for discussion and debate about all things coworking

Watch our new video case study to find out more about what we can do for you

We're also planning new spaces in Bath and Bristol (click either link to find out more)

---