Our experience with community-first

Trevor Twining

Oct 16, 2015, 10:55:27 AM10/16/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

I just wrote this recently and wanted to share. I know it’s a common topic here but I don’t think we can emphasize the importance of community-first coworking enough.

Also, thanks to Alex Hillman. Were it not for the groundwork laid at spaces like IndyHall, we’d still be likely in the planning stages of our space concocting all sorts of elaborate schemes to get people through the door.

http://www.trevortwining.me/blog/2015/10/16/community-trumps-capital-every-time.html

Trevor Twining
trevor...@gmail.com
416-201-2254
twitter/skype/linkedin: trevortwining

Ramon Suarez

Oct 17, 2015, 7:15:06 AM10/17/15
to Coworking
Great post. I recently had the same issue with a building owner I was negotiating with. They tried to get all my Financials before we agreed on a price and I did not agree. I understood that they would screw me if I did. I had already spent a lot of hours with them, plus money on architect and lawyers. They got a copy of the Coworking Handbook and we're passing it among colleagues. After a few weeks of silence they called to see if I would be open to manage the Coworking space they are planning on opening. Now they are trying to get one of my coworkers to work for them. Too many people looking for fools instead of partners out there, no wonder they don't understand community.

Trevor Twining

Oct 17, 2015, 11:26:09 AM10/17/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ramon.

I refuse to stop sharing, even though some people misuse it. My main concern with misuse is that it spoils attempts for legitimate communities to form. There have been three local attempts outside of Cowork Niagara that haven’t been successful now, so I don’t want people to get the idea that it doesn’t work. I want to keep sharing ‘how’ it works.

What I’ve heard in the past 2 years:

"I can do that myself faster.”
“We’re going to advertise to build the customer base.”
“Our customers are ready now. We can’t wait to <airquotes>build the community.</airquotes>”

Trevor Twining
Cowork Niagara
Home of Niagara’s independent workforce
twitter: @coworkniagara, @trevortwining

On Oct 17, 2015, at 7:15 AM, Ramon Suarez <ra...@betacowork.com> wrote:

Great post. I recently had the same issue with a building owner I was negotiating with. They tried to get all my Financials before we agreed on a price and I did not agree. I understood that they would screw me if I did. I had already spent a lot of hours with them, plus money on architect and lawyers. They got a copy of the Coworking Handbook and we're passing it among colleagues. After a few weeks of silence they called to see if I would be open to manage the Coworking space they are planning on opening. Now they are trying to get one of my coworkers to work for them. Too many people looking for fools instead of partners out there, no wonder they don't understand community.

---

Ramon Suarez

Oct 18, 2015, 2:24:11 AM10/18/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Me too,  I trust first, but when it comes to real state agents and owners I trust a little less ;)

I help a lot of people out to understand all aspects of the coworking business. Last Friday I had two people coming to talk with me about opening coworking spaces unannounced. The one that had at least read the Coworking Handbook and looked at the page of Betacowork got  a lot more time and info, and we had a ore interesting conversation :) A little research and work on their side sends a signal of real interest and of respect to my time and efort that filters out a lot of abusers who just want quick free consulting to launch what they think is a silver bullet business that is going to make plenty of money without any work and abusing the trust and the willingness of people.

The worst I've heard about community: we have  a community because we have included it in the contracts...

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Coworking" group.

Alex Hillman

Oct 19, 2015, 11:53:54 AM10/19/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Nice post Trevor :) glad the stuff we've shared helped you get to this point!

-Alex

------------------
The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Message has been deleted

Benjamin

Nov 3, 2015, 12:38:22 AM11/3/15
to Coworking
Ramon, my friend...I like your words (but I already know that you are one of the best/brightest in coworking)...just wanted to contribute an example to the truth you have told...say what you will about Verizon but they "get it" and have so far completely supported all of Grind's needs/desires in creating a community-based coworking project...it is very exciting and will be an interesting example for our industry...

Ramon Suarez

Nov 3, 2015, 3:34:44 AM11/3/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Awesome Benjamin. You are doing a great job with your spaces. Give my best to Jon :)

---

Matt D.

Nov 5, 2015, 8:35:01 AM11/5/15
to Coworking
Thanks for sharing, Trevor. Congrats on the success thus far!