Autocomplete that only allows suggestions provided

steve f

Oct 15, 2020, 5:24:54 PM10/15/20
to ControlsFX
I want to implement an autocomplete text field, but constrain the input in the text field to be a suggestion that was provided. Is there a setting or trick to this I am missing? The text field will allow me to type in anything. This is a feature of about every other autocomplete api I have used, so it is a very common use case. Long list of things, too long to be useful in a combo, requiring completion, but needing to be constrained to items in that long list.

Thanks in advance for any help here!

Steve

abhinay...@live.com

Oct 15, 2020, 10:05:02 PM10/15/20
to ControlsFX
Hi Steve,

IMO, TextField allowing the user to type anything allows a better UX. If you want to restrict user input, please add a TextFormatterto the TextField.

-Abhinay

Steve Ferguson

Oct 16, 2020, 12:54:53 AM10/16/20
to control...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for having a look. Formatting the input and requiring that the item is in the underlying list of suggestions are not the same thing.