Problem while opening incomplete forms

Kyoko M.

Oct 21, 2013, 3:01:10 AM10/21/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
One of our users has been having problems opening incomplete forms on CommCare.

When attempts are made to open an incomplete form, an error message appears giving options to either force stop or report problems.

We are using Samsung Galaxy Y - how can we fix this problem and access the incomplete forms?

Kind regards,

Kyoko (SNEHA Mumbai)

Natasha Lelijveld

Oct 21, 2013, 10:03:06 AM10/21/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi - we are also having problems opening incomplete forms on the Samsung Galaxy. They open fine when they are linked to the wifi, but we cannot open then in the field....

Clayton Sims

Oct 21, 2013, 11:23:58 AM10/21/13
to commcare-users
Hi,

Can I ask you guys to possible submit these issues (as with all bugs) to our technical support email address at

Preferably with all of the information included here:

This will ensure that you'll get the most prompt reply possible.

Thanks,
-Clayton

Jessica Hall

Jan 20, 2014, 12:22:07 AM1/20/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

My project is using Samsung galaxy also. W have not yet had to open incomplete forms in the field.

But will have to soon.

Can you please inform me once you know how to resolve the issue.

Jess

William Pride

Jan 20, 2014, 5:12:30 PM1/20/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jess,

Not to worry, there isn't an endemic problem with incomplete forms on CommCare (at least not that we're aware) - in the cases discussed previously in this thread the application had changed in such  a way that the incomplete form data had become out of sync with the current data model.

This issue has come up a a couple times lately so bears repeating: if you have incomplete forms stored on your device and you update your application on the phone in such a way that you change the allowable values, questions, etc, CommCare will no longer be able to open your incomplete forms from the previous version. You can read more about this here: https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/CommCare+for+Android+Force+Close+from+Loading+Incomplete+Forms

In general, the best solution is to not store incomplete forms on your phone for a long period of time. If you need to return to the form as part of your work flow then the second visit should generally be done in a separate follow-up form.

We are also working on a longer term solution to make CommCare give warnings when you might be entering this bad state.

Best,
Will

Natasha Lelijveld

Feb 11, 2014, 7:18:49 AM2/11/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys - the plot thickens with my 'incomplete forms' saga!

I have just sent this email to the bug fix guys, but I also wanted to shar with you guys since the previous time I wrote to big fix, they never replied:

I have a problem with some forms being stuck on one phone. I have written to you about this before but we have since narrowed it down to one phone. Whoever is logged in on that phone has trouble submitting forms and reaccessing incomplete forms.

We are using samsung galaxy s android phones.

The problem has been on-going for many months, but we have now realised that it is only one phone, and have taken that phone out of circulation. However there is precious data STUCK on this phone, and I am wondering if there is some way to retreive it?

This problem has occurred on the project called: chrosam-study, and we are using the latest build called: final final v3.

The problem occurs across many mobile workers, forms and modules, here is a summary:

  • Mobile worker TERESA:
    • Module 'community controls', ID: 233C, FORMS C, K and I:  CANNOT BE PARSED.
  • Mobile worker EMMANUEL:
    •  Module 'moyo child', ID:0838, FORM I: CANNOT BE PARSED
    • 6 OTHER forms – CANNOT BE PARSED, DOESN'T SHOW ID NUMBERS or MODULES FOR THESE
  • Mobile worker SIZWA :
    • Module 'moyo child;, ID: 1070A, FORM I – SORRY, CANNOT BE PARSED
    • Module 'community control', ID: 368C, FORM C - cannot be parsed
    • 1 form, not sure which one it is, cannot be synced with the server, even when connected to wifi interent, the message says "HAVING ISSUES COMMUNICATING WITH THE SERVER TO SEND FORMS"

Is there anything I can do to get this data back?? Its really quite critical. Also, can you please advice what is likely to be causing the problem? the phone? the commcare app? the sim card? the SD card? If possible I would like to get this phone back into circulation as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help,

Natasha

Natasha Lelijveld

William Pride

Feb 11, 2014, 11:09:00 AM2/11/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Natasha,

I've located the ticket you submitted earlier- looks like it got lost to triaging. I'm very sorry about that. I'm taking a look now and will respond via that ticket.

Best,
Will