Default Language Issue

Marko Kerac

Oct 22, 2013, 8:44:36 AM10/22/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have build our forms in English and filled out the second language (nya) in Chichewa for many, but not all questions. For my mobile users, I have selected their default language as chichewa, and yet all the questions appear in english on the phones...?

Is there some other setting that needs to be selected?

Thanks

Sheel Shah

Oct 22, 2013, 9:28:21 AM10/22/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marko,

What type of phone are you using?  An Android or a Java-based phone?  Unfortunately that default language setting on a mobile worker doesn't yet affect the phone language (it is used for the website and reports).

Unfortunately you need to set the default language within the application, not on the mobile worker.  To do this, go to your app on CommCareHQ and choose the Languages setting.  Then drag and drop so that nya is at the top of the list (making it the default).  Then when you build the application, nya will be the default.

You can also manually change the language for the application on the phone.
1. On Java Phones, login as your admin user and then go to Settings (the left button) and change the language ther.
2. On Android Phones, login and choose the menu button and go to Settings.  Then choose Change Locale.  Unfortunately, you may also need to manually change the language on each form as well (open the form, press the menu button and choose Change Language).

If you'd like you can also go to our Uservoice forum (dimagi.uservoice.com) and submit the suggestion for making the mobile worker language setting also change the language on the phone.

Thanks,
Sheel

Sheel Shah
Project Manager | Dimagi India

manish...@rxehe.com

Oct 28, 2013, 7:57:14 PM10/28/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Further to the points mentioned, i wanted to highlight an issue i have noticed on the language (by the way i find the language change as a great option to have, and its really easy to use).

1. On an android phone, if i have two languages setup for my project, i need to click two times on the "options" button on the phone, to get the "Change Language" option to be selectable. The first time it shows up as a displayed - but disabled option. however, clicking on the options button again enables the "Change Language" option for the form.

2. Additionally, i have noticed the languages do not get downloaded by default, rather one has to select "deploy" in the language definition page for the additional languages to be selected to be deployed.

3. The Android version 2.3.6 does not support some of the indian languages like "kannada". Projects using kannada on android, should not deploy their apps on this version of android.

4. While creating a reminder, request for project specific languages to be provided as a drop down in the message language field.

Regards

Manish

Clayton Sims

Oct 29, 2013, 11:33:11 AM10/29/13
to commcare-users
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback on this. I wanted to clarify on a couple of these points:

This definitely sounds like a bug! Sorry about that. Can you email a bug report including your phone version using this template? https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/Bug+Report+Template We'll get that cleared up ASAP.

2. Additionally, i have noticed the languages do not get downloaded by default, rather one has to select "deploy" in the language definition page for the additional languages to be selected to be deployed.

This is an unfortunate consequence of CommCare HQ assuming that you'll be defining multiple languages "globally" (IE: for the CommCare menus as well as the forms themselves). We're also working on getting this fixed.

3. The Android version 2.3.6 does not support some of the indian languages like "kannada". Projects using kannada on android, should not deploy their apps on this version of android.

Android phones before Version 4.0 do have _very_ limited language sets, although phone font support varies. I have seen 2.3 phones which supported Kannada script, but they are not common. I agree that it's always dangerous to assume that Android phones will support different fonts. Checking first is very valuable!

4. While creating a reminder, request for project specific languages to be provided as a drop down in the message language field.

I'll pass this along to the dev team. Thanks for the feedback!

Manish Sharma

Oct 29, 2013, 11:52:03 AM10/29/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the updates on the points. Will update the details in the link provided.

Regards

Manish

Regards

Manish Sharma