Re-assgining Cases to another user

James Tinkamanyire

Nov 26, 2015, 2:35:00 AM11/26/15
to commcare-users
Hi All,

I wonder whether there's a way to re-assign a case to another mobile worker belonging to the same group as the one who opened it? I thought the option I see at the moment "re-assign selected cases to user X" should work but it doesn't seem to. I would like the owner to remain the same. Any ideas?

Thanks,
James

Cory Zue

Nov 26, 2015, 7:35:42 AM11/26/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Reassigning the case is equivalent to setting the owner. What are you trying to do with the reassignment if not change it?

Cory

James Tinkamanyire

Nov 26, 2015, 10:48:10 AM11/26/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cory,

The owner of all the cases for my project is the group name, but what I would like to do is change the user who opened the case. Both users belong to the same group which means all cases opened by the 2 users will belong to the Group Name, right?

Thanks,
James

-----------
James Tinkamanyire | Data Manager
Measuring Early Treatment Adherence - META Project
Global Health Collaborative - MUST - Uganda

P.O. Box 1397, Mbarara.

BSc Computer Engineering
MBARARA UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
P.O. Box 1410, Mbarara, Uganda.

Mobile Tel: +256 (0)702 864 964
Skype: jimmyjaymes1

Cory Zue

Nov 26, 2015, 12:43:37 PM11/26/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hey James,

That's not exactly how case sharing works. Behind the scenes the cases are still assigned to the user or to the case sharing group - case sharing just sets it up so that cases created from CommCare mobile are assigned to the group by default. Any time a case is directly assigned to a user it will not be shared.

I don't believe that there's anything you can do to change the creating user ID, since this is a system-defined property that is set on case creation and not allowed to be modified. Why do you want to change it?

thanks,
Cory

James Tinkamanyire

Nov 27, 2015, 2:06:41 PM11/27/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cory,

Our workflow allows for any user to collect data (17+ forms) on a case created by any mobile worker (only one form creates a case) in the same group. Now should we have any queries for such a case and since the "info.username" property will not change, the queries will be attributed to the user who created the case which ideally would be not true because most of the queries are from the 17+ forms. So data team will ask the wrong person to resolve these queries. Any workaround?

Thanks,
James

Cory Zue

Nov 29, 2015, 1:41:34 AM11/29/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

If you expect to need to edit this information then I would setup an app-specific case property. You could default this to the creating user in the form that creates the case, but then you could also have a "reassignment' form that changes it to someone else, and you could use the case importer to set it in bulk.

This would require modifying your app. Alternatively, you could just add this property only if the contact changes, and then train your staff to check that property first and fallback to the username if not set. That could be rolled out without app changes.

Cory