New user interface save/discard form

Simon Berry

Nov 5, 2015, 12:29:08 PM11/5/15
to commcare-users
The new user interface is causing confusion for our users and I need to emulate the old 'Save & Exit' OR 'Ignore changes' options.

I'd like to insert a final question at the end of all our forms which has the following options and actions:
  1. Save form?
    • Yes
    • No
Selecting 'Yes' would  . . . save the form

Selecting 'No' would do the equivalent of the following in the old interface: tap the back button and select 'Ignore changes'.

How would I implement this?

Simon

Clayton Sims

Nov 5, 2015, 3:01:48 PM11/5/15
to commcare-users
Simon,

Sorry about the issue, but I'm a bit confused as to what you are referring to. The new ui shouldn't change the behavior that occurs when you press android's "back" button, and it should still present the same items to the user, to exit the form ignoring changes, save incomplete and exit, or return to form entry depending on whether incomplete forms are activated.

What is the missing behavior that you are trying to replicate?

-Clayton

Simon Berry

Nov 5, 2015, 3:22:56 PM11/5/15
to commcare-users
Hi Clayton

Thanks for your response.

In the old user interface when you swiped after the last question in a form the system presented you with a 'Save & Exit' button and at this point you could hit the back button and select 'Ignore changes'. It's this that I want to replicate. In the new interface when you hit the '>' on the last question it just saves (with no warning).

Simon

PS: User feedback - I do not like the behaviour of the new user interface where a swipe works on all but the last question. I don't think this is at all intiative and users of the old system think the form has broken or the tablet has hung-up. This is going to have significant user support issues for us unless we can emulate the old system in some way (eg as described above).

Clayton Sims

Nov 5, 2015, 4:08:53 PM11/5/15
to commcare-users
Simon,

The behavior that occurs when you press 'back' is consistent in the interface, still. That is to say, users can press the back button and select "ignore changes" at any point during form entry in order to cancel the form and return to the menu.

It has worked well on some projects to replace the final screen with a simple prompt that says something like

The form is over, please check the box below to confirm that it is complete
[ ] Confirm

and a conditional text below that says "You can press the Next button to submit the form"

Apologies for the introduced difference in form submission. In our testing we have found that although it takes a short time to re-adjust to the new "confirm" option that users have been able to recognize the significance of a "complete" form through a combination of the progress bar, green submit button, and the inability to swipe to "complete" without needing the landing page. If you are seeing significant troubles after users have had a chance to adjust, please feel free to reach out.

-Clayton