Making two different case types into parent-child relationships

John Skelton

Apr 24, 2016, 8:41:18 AM4/24/16
to commcare-users
Hi all, I have asked a similar question before, to do with a variation on the classic parent-child case usage, but just checking if the functionality is now possible:

If you have two different types of cases, is it possible to make one into a sub case of the other? For example, in one module I might have women, and in another module I have orphans. I am tracking each case separately and they are not related to each other. However, at a point in time a woman might adopt an orphan. In that case I will want to update the orphan's case to link them to the woman. I will also want to be able to update the status of the woman (for example if she dies) and for this to update the case of any orphans she has adopted.
Is this possible?

thanks!
John

Jeremy W.

Apr 29, 2016, 12:12:42 PM4/29/16
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Unfortunately the workflow you described is not currently supported by the CommCare Application Builder. It is possible to import parent/child case relationships using the Excel Importer tool, though this might not quite align with your workflow: https://confluence.dimagi.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=20218117

Jeremy

Jeremy Wacksman
Dimagi, Inc.

John Skelton

May 1, 2016, 6:53:57 AM5/1/16
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy
thanks for the information - I didn't realise you could import parent/child relationships.
John

JOHN SKELTON
Results, Learning & Research Manager / Prospects

MERCY CORPS
tel +231 (0)770 410 648 | tel +231 (0)880 964 479 | skype john.skelton99
Tubman Boulevard (between 15 and 16 St), Sinkor | Monrovia, Liberia