selecting images as multiple choice responses

Robin Fatch

Jun 25, 2015, 11:03:07 AM6/25/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am adding images to multiple choice questions in my form. Just for example, "what is your favorite color" responses of blue, red, yellow are accompanied by boxes of those colors.

Is there a way to allow responses to be captured if the image is touched/selected by the user? Currently, the response is only captured if the circle/bulletpoint to the left of the text is selected. But, for some users, it is more intuitive to try to select the image itself.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there was a way to set this up, so that a selection could be made by touching either the image associated with that response, or the bulletpoint to the left of the text.

Thanks!
Robin

Jeremy W.

Jun 25, 2015, 11:18:26 AM6/25/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,

You can set up a multiple choice question so that you just click on an image in order to make a choice by using the Grid format. Details are here: https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/Advanced+CommCare+ODK+Formatting#AdvancedCommCareODKFormatting-GridView

I believe if you use that format there will no longer be bulletpoints, just images that the user can click on.

Jeremy

Jeremy Wacksman
Dimagi, Inc.

Robin Fatch

Jun 25, 2015, 11:53:36 AM6/25/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks, this sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

I'm pretty new to CommCare and a lot of this language is still new to me - I see the example code from the page you cited. But how do I add this to my actual form? Currently I am building my form from within CommCareHQ; is this something I can do there? Or do I have to somehow create it elsewhere?

Thanks!

Jeremy W.

Jun 25, 2015, 1:49:50 PM6/25/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,

Yes, you can do this in CommCareHQ. First go to the multiple choice question that you want to convert into a grid format. Then in the Question Properties part of the form builder scroll to the bottom and open up the Advanced section. You will see a field called Appearance Attribute which is where you can write compact.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

Robin Fatch

Jun 25, 2015, 2:05:20 PM6/25/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks! This is great.

Now, next question - is there a way to get the text to also show with the images for each response option?

Thanks so much,
Robin

Jeremy W.

Jun 25, 2015, 6:32:03 PM6/25/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,

I'm not sure - it may be that with the grid appearance you can only have the pictures and not the text, unfortunately. One workaround could be to create images that contain both text and colors.

Jeremy

Robin Fatch

Jun 25, 2015, 8:01:24 PM6/25/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks again for your help earlier! We may try to add some text to our images eventually.

~Robin