sms message log - codes to identify messages

Julia de Kadt

Aug 26, 2014, 8:00:51 AM8/26/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

For our project, we are sending participants a range of different SMS messages. Some are informational, and are targeted to specific groups of participants, while others are part of an sms survey, so require responses from the recipients.

When we review our message log, it is difficult to link together the SMS' that form part of the survey for each participant. This makes troubleshooting very difficult and messy. We would like to identify all the SMS' within a single survey (both those sent by CommConnect and those received from the participant) with some kind of a unique code, so that we can group the messages together easily. We would also like the message log to reflect a few key pieces, such as participant ID and study arm.

However, I haven't been able to work out whether this is possible, or how to do this. Any advice would be much appreciated.

thank you!
Julia

Sheel Shah

Aug 26, 2014, 1:50:06 PM8/26/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julia,

Thanks for the question.  Unfortunately its not possible to view the link between SMS and a particular survey today (though we've noted that down as a potential feature on our roadmap).  I think you can click on the person's name in hte message log to view their Case Detail (and view all surveys filled out and sent by them).  Will that work for you?

Thanks,
Sheel

Sheel Shah
Project Manager | Dimagi
m: +1.781.428.5419 | skype: sheel_shah

Julia de Kadt

Aug 27, 2014, 10:56:09 AM8/27/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sheel,

Thanks for the feedback!

Is there any way that we can get additional variables to show up in the message log? Or is the message log restricted to only include particular fields?

thank you!

Sheel Shah

Aug 27, 2014, 11:58:07 AM8/27/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hey Julia,

Unfortunately at the moment we can't display any additional variables in the message log.  If that's something you want, you can request a feature on our Uservoice site (dimagi.uservoice.com).  Feel free to vote for other ideas as well!

Thanks,
Sheel

Julia de Kadt

Aug 28, 2014, 8:09:36 AM8/28/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the feedback! I have suggested it on the site.

Giovanni Capalbo

Aug 28, 2014, 10:23:51 PM8/28/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julia,

You may have noticed this already, but for each entry in the message log report, the contact's type (user or case) and unique system-generated id are exposed as data elements when you download it, and by using these two pieces of information you can combine it with the case export data for analysis.

Thanks,
Giovanni

Julia de Kadt

Aug 29, 2014, 1:34:54 AM8/29/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, we did notice this, and this is what we've been doing to date. But it would be a lot simpler for our team if basic QC could be done without requiring them to combine files. Our biggest challenge though has been with linking the messages in an SMS conversation together, as the only way to really do this is through a combination of participant IDs and time-stamps, which is quite cumbersome. So I was just hoping that there was an easier way! Please do let me know if you have any thoughts around how to make this more efficient!

thank you!