Pushing new app/form versions over cellular data

已查看 11 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

em...@aquaya.org

未读,
2014年7月18日 05:49:312014/7/18
收件人 commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

My colleague was testing out our pilot CommCare app in rural Senegal and was unable to update to the new version i deployed using 'Update CommCare' on the menu on cellular data or on slower wifi in the field - however, it worked when she was on better wifi, and I think she had some more luck on a slower connection deleting the data and reinstalling from the bit.ly link.

We're trying to get a sense of how realistic it is to deploy new versions and under different conditions. Has anyone had experience updating to new versions on cellular data or slower wifi successfully?  Or do you only have field agents update when there's better internet connection (or the offline install)? Any tips or advice for this?

Thanks!
Emily

Clayton Sims

未读,
2014年7月18日 13:17:322014/7/18
收件人 commcare-users
Emily,

I'm curious, were you updating an app including multimedia, or just including form content? We've had a lot of successes performing OTA updates on low-bandwidth high-latency cellular connections in the past without multimedia, but updating media files tends to make the process significantly less reliable.

-Clayton

Emily Kumpel

未读,
2014年7月21日 03:01:382014/7/21
收件人 commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clayton,

The app did not include any multi-media, just form content. It seemed to just not get back the last step.  Is there something I can try or a log I can get to help figure out what might be going on?

Thanks,
Emily
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "commcare-users" group.

Clayton Sims

未读,
2014年7月21日 10:46:222014/7/21
收件人 commcare-users
Emily,

What do you mean by the last step? Was it proceeding without issue until the end and then choking before it could finish?

With network issues it's a bit difficult to expose great debugging information, unfortunately. It would be really helpful to know what the screens say when the updates aren't working.

-Clayton

Emily Kumpel

未读,
2014年7月22日 02:45:552014/7/22
收件人 commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clayton,

According to my colleague, when she tried to update, it would find the 8 or 9 updates to do and start doing/installing them and on the last update there would be 'unknown error.' Then she was given the option of either Retrying the update or....there was a second option that started with an R that might have been Reinstall updates. It happened when she was on cellular data or  lower bandwidth wifi, but worked once she got back to better wifi.

Thanks,
Emily

Clayton Sims

未读,
2014年7月22日 13:25:432014/7/22
收件人 commcare-users
Emily,

Strange. Can you let me know the name of your CommCareHQ project space so I can review the device logs and see if there's anything that stands out?

-Clayton
回复全部
回复作者
转发