Exporting All Form Data by Case

Keelyn Henderson

Aug 15, 2013, 1:47:46 PM8/15/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone
I am relativley new to commcare so apologies if the following scenario and question seems a bit rudamentary.

A little background about my application....I created a one time survey involving 24 women and five different forms.  I set up a case for each woman and associate each of the five forms (Basic Data (opens the case), Living situation, family siutation, business, expenses) with each woman.

Now that it comes time to export the data, I would like to export all form data by case.  Therefore, I go to "Export Cases, Referrals and Users" and I attempt to create a custom export so I can export all form data but none of the form data shows up and the only data I can export by cases to export all the cases, however, when I download it, the only things that show up are the meta data for each case but none of the data from each of the forms.

If I choose "Export submisssions to excel" and download all the forms, they are then not associated with each case and I dont know if the "Family Situation" form (for example) is associated to the right women becuase it doesn say.

Any thoughts on how I can export all the form data by each case (woman)?

Jeremy W.

Aug 15, 2013, 4:03:09 PM8/15/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Keelyn,

Great question- and other people likely have their own thoughts and preferences on this, but I'll provide some quick suggestions

1- Case Export - if you want to export all of your data case-wise then you will need to save all of your questions to the case on each form settings page, just like you would have done for "name." You will then need to make and deploy a new version of your application. Otherwise the case export will not contain the answers to any of the questions. Note that this will only work for future submissions and will not apply retroactively.

2- Linking forms to cases - If you have case management activated (i.e. form either registers a case or updates/closes a case) you can use the field called "case_id" (a unique alphanumeric string generated by CommCare for each case) to link the forms to cases.

If you've already collected data you'll need to use the form exports and link them with the case id and name fields.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

Jeremy Wacksman
Dimagi, Inc.

Keelyn Henderson

Aug 15, 2013, 6:07:34 PM8/15/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jeremy! This was very helpful. I think I am going to do the second verison because I have already collected most of my data :/

Thanks again!

Keelyn Henderson
kee...@gmail.com

Message has been deleted

Amelia Sagoff

Sep 4, 2013, 4:27:32 PM9/4/13
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You'll notice an "id" column in both the form export sheet and the repeat export sheet. You can match repeats to which form they came from through this id.

Hope this helps!

Amelia

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Keelyn Henderson <kee...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Jeremy -
I have a follow up question related to this.  Any advice would be great!

I have been linking each form to each woman by the Case ID and that does work. However, I have a set of repeat questions and when I export the data, it exports in two separate tabs and there is no case ID for the repeat questions. Im not sure how to correlate the repeat questions with the woman (or Case ID).

For example, my form has a question, "How many people do you live with" and if they say 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, then a set of repeat questions about each family member appears.  When I export this data, however, the answers to the form questions are in one tab (with the Case ID) but the answers to the repeat questions are in another tab and aren't linked with the case ID so I cant tell whose repeat questions belong to who....make sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!