Any changes to CommCare data forwarding API?

Taylor Downs

Jun 7, 2017, 2:58:16 PM6/7/17
to CommCare Developers
Hey team Dimagi,

At Open Function, we're getting thousands of unprocessable POST requests from CommCareHQ instances right now. We're investigating on our side, but I wanted to ping you quickly to ask if there had been any changes to your case or form forwarding service?

Best,
Taylor

Taylor Downs

Jun 7, 2017, 3:09:44 PM6/7/17
to CommCare Developers
Just as an update, we think that we've narrowed this down to a single CommCareHQ application, so less likely that there was a change on your side but I'd still appreciate an "all clear" if there haven't been any builds that might affect the case or form forwarders today!

Taylor

Ben Rudolph

Jun 7, 2017, 3:13:26 PM6/7/17
to CommCare Developers
Hi Taylor,

We have made some changes to our Data Forwarding API over the past few weeks. We aren't aware of any issues currently, and we haven't made any changes to the code for 24 hours. Have you checked the Data Forwarding report? That could provide some insight into whether or not it's us or you.

Ben

--

---

Farid Rener

Jun 8, 2017, 8:32:34 AM6/8/17
to commcare-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Taylor,

If you think this is a regression on CommCare, do you think you could submit a bug report with an example of why you think the request is unprocessable?

As Ben said, we did make a bunch of changes recently, although they have been running for a few weeks without issue.

If you do have access to the project space on HQ, you can see the repeat record report that Ben mentioned by clicking the Gear Icon (top right) -> Project Settings -> Data Forwarding Records. From there, if you select the "Cancelled" state you should see which records failed 3 times, along with the payload we sent, and the response we received from your server.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Cheers,

Farid

Taylor Downs

Jun 8, 2017, 1:57:14 PM6/8/17
to commcare-developers
Ben and Farid,

Thanks so much for your swift responses—I really appreciate it. We identified the issue—a combination of a particular client setup and a vulnerability in how we encode our data processing endpoint—which has now been fixed on our end. The data forwarding report is quite helpful, and we were able to reprocess messages by hand. Is there any way to re-send messages in bulk?

Thanks again!

Taylor

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CommCare Developers" group.

Ben Rudolph

Jun 8, 2017, 1:59:38 PM6/8/17
to CommCare Developers
> Is there any way to re-send messages in bulk?

Currently no unfortunately, but that is something we've wanted to do for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a feature sometime in the future.

Ben

---

Taylor Downs

Jun 9, 2017, 7:27:44 AM6/9/17