Long-tailed Duck, Luna Reservoir, Adams Co

Susan Rosine

Jan 18, 2020, 4:39:34 PM1/18/20
to Colorado Birds
Currently on the west side of the reservoir and can be seen with binoculars or good lens from the side of the road. Gulls, geese, various ducks also there.
Susan Rosine
Brighton

JeremyWinick

Jan 18, 2020, 6:38:31 PM1/18/20
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Where is Luna Reservoir? It doesn't show up when I look on Google maps
or openstreetmap.

Jeremy Winick
Westminster

Susan Rosine

Jan 18, 2020, 7:35:23 PM1/18/20
to Colorado Birds
And I apologize, it came up as Weld County. I thought it was in Adams. It's just north of Adams.

William H Kaempfer

Jan 18, 2020, 7:35:36 PM1/18/20
to wini...@gmail.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
Ha! I've been waiting for this question for years.

I named LUNA a long time ago, it stands for Large UN-named Artificial reservoir, because it is large, unnamed and artificial! Tony Leukering liked the name, and it stuck. LUNA Reservoir is the "official" eBird hotspot name for the place with 125 species observes--more than anything within miles.

It is actually a Thornton water supply reservoir viewable from Weld County Road 11 north of CR 168 (aka the Adams-Weld County Line). From its NW corner it has good views but usually into the sun and distant. There is frequently some open water and due to the absence of human presence, almost always lots and lots of waterfowl and gulls.

Bill Kaempfer
(Formerly Boulder and Past President of CFO)
(Now Safety Harbor, FL)

Susan Rosine

Jan 18, 2020, 7:37:01 PM1/18/20
to Colorado Birds
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63523698
My checklist should let you click on the map.
Susan Rosine

William H Kaempfer

Jan 18, 2020, 7:39:57 PM1/18/20
to u5b2...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
And, Susan, thank you, Long-tailed Duck should end up as species number 126 at LUNA.

Bill Kaempfer
Safety Harbor, FL

Jan 18, 2020, 7:42:49 PM1/18/20
to William H Kaempfer, Colorado Birds
Well that's exciting! I was actually on my way home and took a little detour down that road, just to see if there were any exciting birds!

Joe Roller

Jan 18, 2020, 8:54:08 PM1/18/20
to Susan Rosine, William H Kaempfer, Colorado Birds
When one is not sure where a birding location is located, there are two good resources.
Go to Colorado County birding website https://coloradocountybirding.org
Click on  "Birding Locations" then "Search for a locations"
Luna Res is there.

Or maybe even easier, on eBird go to "Explore Hotspots"
Fill in the bubble with the first few letters, eg, "Luna Re" and you get
a map and a list of all birds seen there in the past, recent trips there, etc.

LUNA Reservoir  is not an official name, but a Cool nickname, so if you search on Google, you won't
find the Luna Res in Weld County, but rather you are directed to a nice reservoir in Spain, farther east.

Joe Roller, Denver