cljs or js, I'm in a trouble

Jiyin Yiyong

Sep 16, 2016, 10:55:06 PM9/16/16
to ClojureScript
Oh, I found that's too long and so I put it on Medium now https://medium.com/@jiyinyiyong/clojurescript-or-javascript-im-in-a-trouble-8e7150ff5c11#.t9v73hu0f

Simple version is I learnt ClojureScript and like to think with it. However my job is writing in JavaScript, which is mutable and full of statements and template languages. Now I find it stressful to write code in JavaScript.

I've thought about looking for a Clojure job. But it can be a lot more tough. Feeling anxious these weeks.

Alan Moore

Sep 18, 2016, 7:14:02 PM9/18/16
to ClojureScript
Another red pill rescue... ;-)

I know how you feel... My day job is all in C++ and JS so it is nice to go home and work in a sane language.

I sometimes apply the general principles I've learned to the day job and I challenge myself to translate certain idioms from FP to C++. I've noticed that some of the most reliable C/C++ I've run across in the wild tends to be more functional in style. Const used to be an anachronism but now I reach for it early and often.

I also educate my peers on better ways to achieve the same things (without being too preaching or over-enthusiastic.) Some get it, others don't. You can lead a horse to water...

I hope you find a good outlet for your FP skills and that the day job isn't too unbearable.

Alan

mars0i

Sep 19, 2016, 12:26:57 AM9/19/16
to ClojureScript
On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 6:14:02 PM UTC-5, Alan Moore wrote:
> Another red pill rescue... ;-)
>
> I know how you feel... My day job is all in C++ and JS so it is nice to go home and work in a sane language.
>
> I sometimes apply the general principles I've learned to the day job and I challenge myself to translate certain idioms from FP to C++. I've noticed that

I think of Javascript as a language that allows you to do functional programming. It allows you to do a lot of other things, too. Jiyin Yiyong, my guess is that much of what you do in Clojurescript could be written in an analogous style in Javascript. There are libraries available for Javascript that make this easier, and books and websites that teach functional programming techniques in Javascript. That wouldn't be as much fun as Clojurescript(!), but it might not be as painful as other programming methods in Javascript.

Maybe the real problem is not Javascript, but the skills of other programmers you work with (I don't think that imperative programming, OO, etc. is bad--but it's not what I like), and the libraries you are using (you mentioned some template languages).

When I worked at jobs in programming teams, sometimes I used functional methods in Java or in Perl. I had to make sure that other programmers would understand the code later, so I made sure that I documented it very thoroughly.

jiyinyiyong

Sep 19, 2016, 11:15:51 PM9/19/16
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
So it's really a tough problem. I kept writing post on Functional Programming for long time now. The community is growing too slow in China. It would be long journey to reach a place that I can feel at home.

---

jiyinyiyong

Sep 19, 2016, 11:19:14 PM9/19/16
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
It can be true in some sections. In my work I have to do learn some skills on server side programming while I worked as a front-end-only programmer for my first 3 years. Not only the gap between Clojure and JavaScript, but the gap between servers and browsers made me puzzling too.