[ANN] rocks.clj/z 0.1.0-SNAPSHOT (alpha)

Edward Knyshov

Jan 3, 2018, 6:56:18 AM1/3/18
to Clojure
Hi, I made a simple wrapper around java.util.zip.
Basically it only allows you to compress files or unpack/process zip archives.
There is nothing special about it, but it simplifies code a lot when dealing with zip files.
It's an alpha release and I was just hoping that someone could take a look and point to some drawbacks/improvements in api/code.
It would be nice to fix those before pushing v0.1.0.
Link to the project https://github.com/edvorg/z
Cheers!

Tim Visher

Jan 3, 2018, 8:29:05 AM1/3/18
to Clojure
On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 6:56 AM, Edward Knyshov <edv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I made a simple wrapper around java.util.zip.
Basically it only allows you to compress files or unpack/process zip archives.

This looks neat. :)

Have you considered targeting Java 7 and using the nio Zip FileSystem? https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/io/fsp/zipfilesystemprovider.html

I ask mainly because I'm curious. I just started reading about it last night and this popped up this morning. What serendipity!

Edward Knyshov

Jan 4, 2018, 12:04:58 AM1/4/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks :)

I haven't considered using nio Zip FileSystem just because I never heard of it, but I'll definitely check it out.

Regarding targeting to java 7, should something like this set up targeting properly?

:javac-options ["-target" "1.7" "-source" "1.7"]

Edward.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Clojure" group.

Best regards, Edward Knyshov.

Tim Visher

Jan 4, 2018, 8:34:59 AM1/4/18
to Clojure
On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 12:04 AM, Edward Knyshov <edv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks :)

I haven't considered using nio Zip FileSystem just because I never heard of it, but I'll definitely check it out.

Regarding targeting to java 7, should something like this set up targeting properly?

:javac-options ["-target" "1.7" "-source" "1.7"]

Not really. That's for compiling java code. I think that may interact in some way with AOT as well but I'm honestly not sure. A library really shouldn't AOT anything anyway (most things shouldn't :) ).

What I meant by targeting wasn't compilation but requiring a minimum java version of 1.7, as the java.nio.file package was only added in 1.7 iiuc.

In contrast, clojure itself only requires 1.6.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

Gary Verhaegen

Jan 4, 2018, 5:07:57 PM1/4/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com
To (possibly) clarify, I think what Tim meant was more along the lines
of "have your code depend on the java.nio package, which means it will
die at compile time on Java 1.6 and lower with a
ClassNotFountException, and therefore say in the README that this
requires Java 1.7+".
> --
> ---
> "Clojure" group.

Edward Knyshov

Jan 5, 2018, 12:03:10 AM1/5/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com, Gary Verhaegen

I got it guys, thank you. I'll investigate the possibility and benefits of migration to java nio and let you know when it's done.

---- Gary Verhaegen wrote ----