Pair Programming tool

Jeroen De Dauw

Mar 10, 2015, 5:01:01 PM3/10/15
to clean-code...@googlegroups.com
This might not be entirely on topic for this list. If that is the case, I apologise.

At my organization we are working on improving our hiring process. One step we want to do for all our future hires is sit together with them and do some pair programming, to get a good feel of how they work and if their values match our culture. We do not want to limit ourselves to people that are already in town for our on location hires, and we also want to be able to do this for remote hires. Which means we need a way to be able to pair program with applicants.

Initially we looked at CodePair, which is part of HackerRank, which we already use for recruiting. This tool unfortunately does not support writing tests while solving the task, so is not an option for us.

In Unclebobs "Java Case Study" series, he and Micha are using IntelliJ instances which are linked. Anyone know how this is done? I did some research and found Saros [0] as most promising candidate.

I'm also happy with general recommendations on how to do remote pair programming as part of the hiring process. Perhaps syncing IDE's is too hard, esp if the candidate does not use the IDE in question. And perhaps doing a screen share with Skype works well enough, removing the need for a more complicated setup.

[0] http://www.saros-project.org/saros-for-intellij

Luis Cordova

Mar 10, 2015, 5:10:17 PM3/10/15
to clean-code...@googlegroups.com
floobits

--
The only way to go fast is to go well.
---

Jeroen De Dauw

Mar 10, 2015, 5:12:36 PM3/10/15
to clean-code...@googlegroups.com, cord...@gmail.com
Thanks Luis! I actually looked at Floobits before though somehow missed it's IntelliJ support. Will have a better look at it now.

Luis Cordova

Mar 10, 2015, 5:13:51 PM3/10/15
to clean-code...@googlegroups.com
it does have intellij support!

Steven Coffman

Mar 19, 2015, 12:50:32 PM3/19/15
to clean-code...@googlegroups.com
Screenhero is the best choice we've found. It allows not just pair programming, but swarm or mob programming. It was bought by slack and should be available soon as part of that product. Until then, it is free.