New wetsuit, new to OWS

stephanie domingo

May 30, 2013, 3:52:08 PM5/30/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I just joined (TODAY) and I am looking forward to breaking in my wetsuit for my Olympic distance Tri this July. I know most of CIBBOWS is made up of people who swim without a wetsuit, I'm just hoping not to be judged too harshly.

Are there any other newbs out there interested in swimming slowly with me? Preferably someone else in a wetsuit...

Let me know,
Stephanie

Patricia Sener

May 30, 2013, 3:55:06 PM5/30/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Stephanie,
Your best bet is come on a weekend--you're more likely to find a kindred spirit of your distance/speed/cold tolerance.....
PS

Patricia Sener
Managing Director
Coney Island Brighton Beach Open Water Swimmers

www.cibbows.org

mudrunnerdavid

May 30, 2013, 4:11:19 PM5/30/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
I'm new to the group and have not swam with them. I swim with wetsuit and did nyc tri last year and doing it and Brooklyn tri this year. I'm just starting my swim training. David Hantman

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

stephanie domingo

May 30, 2013, 5:13:26 PM5/30/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com, mudrunnerdavid
Hi David!
I need to pick your brain about the nyc tri, it's my first triathlon ever. I was thinking about doing the bk tri but it's so late in the season and I'm not sure what the course support will be like. In any case, I too am just starting my swim training.

Stephanie

stephanie domingo

May 30, 2013, 5:14:09 PM5/30/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

j9s...@gmail.com

May 31, 2013, 10:44:27 PM5/31/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephanie - i will be out early on sunday morning by 9 and will most likely take it pretty slow and easy.  no judgement on wetsuits - you enjoy the water that's good enough for me.  if we are both there i would be happy to swim with you for awhile.  drop me a note at j9s...@gmail.com if you wish.  janine

stephanie domingo

Jun 3, 2013, 3:27:02 PM6/3/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Janine, would love to swim with you. I was hosting a BBQ yesterday but I am up for a swim this Sun morning if you are free. Is there a bag watch of some sort?

j9swim

Jun 3, 2013, 5:15:35 PM6/3/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephanie - I will not be out there next weekend but if you are a member of Cibbows you should go out, there will be other people around.  As far as bag check there isn't one.  We advise leaving valuables at home but we do all sit together by the lifeguard station.  I do hope to be out there on the 16th.

Janine

Mark Stewart

Jun 14, 2013, 2:02:49 PM6/14/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephanie,

Although many CIBBOWS folk swim without wetsuits, some also where them. The first time I went to swim at Coney Island (early May, 2012 --- water 53 degrees F) I wore a wet suit and was the only one thus clothed. I was welcomed no less warmly because of my garment. "Whatever gets you in the water," was what my kind, watchful swim partner said to me that first day. I had a terrific first outing with her support and have been back many times since. And, although I no longer wear a wetsuit, I know that if I ever felt the need for that extra warmth I would, none-the-less, be welcome on that beach. With those fine folk.

See you on the beach,

Mark Stewart

jsb

Jun 15, 2013, 6:02:41 PM6/15/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com

David Sylvester

Jun 15, 2013, 7:29:27 PM6/15/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com, cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Hey there. I'm behind my training schedule for my first Tri of the season. I'm a newbie also. (2nd season) All of my races this season are sprint and Olympic. All are also wetsuit. Do though I can't do this weekend. I plan to make it out next weekend for some slow early practice. Any other wetsuit swimmers going?

Sent from my iPhone

J9 Gmail

Jun 15, 2013, 9:58:59 PM6/15/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com, cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Come swim in whatever is comfortable...the ocean doesn't judge

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CIBBOWS weekday swimmers" group.

Patricia Sener

Jun 17, 2013, 9:51:46 AM6/17/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Stephanie,
Your best bet is to come to the beach Sat/Sun at 10am.  That's when the most people show up, and therefore the higher likelihood of finding someone your speed/distance.  I don't think the wetsuit part of the equation matters so much.
Patricia