Augmented Reality and Cesium

Andreas Barth

May 24, 2016, 5:22:07 AM5/24/16
to cesium-dev

Hello everybody,

I want to use Cesium for an augmented reality project, which lets you see elements from the cesium simulation in AR.
Can anybody give me a hint on how to do this using the cesium API?
We have great VR capabilities in the viewer, but for AR I need to replace certain elements (sky & terrain) with a custom image (camera view).
I do not think this has been done before, at least my searches did not bring up anything related.

Thanks for your help!

Hannah Pinkos

May 24, 2016, 12:50:09 PM5/24/16
to cesium-dev
Hello,

If you look on our website, we have a lot of great tutorials and demos for getting started.
Take a look at these tutorials to get familiar with parts of Cesium: http://cesiumjs.org/tutorials.html
And then we have code examples for doing specific things here: http://cesiumjs.org/Cesium/Apps/Sandcastle/index.html?src=Hello%20World.html&label=Showcases

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to help!

Best,

Hannah

Andreas Barth

May 24, 2016, 1:57:20 PM5/24/16
to cesium-dev
Hello Hannah, and thanks for your reply.
I know your tutorials as well es the Sandcastle examples, but none of these covers what I intend to achieve.
I need a way to embed a cesium scene in an existing live view, or at least access to the back buffer of the 3d scene.
Any hints are welcome.

Andreas Barth

May 25, 2016, 3:04:58 AM5/25/16
to cesium-dev
I just had an idea how to achieve this.
Could you give me your thoughts on wether this could work?

- Display the webcam video (=background) in an HTML5-VideoElement
- Set the video as texture for a 3D plane (as in the sandcastle video demo)
- attach the plane to the viewers (virtual) camera, at a distance of ~500m scaled to fill the whole viewport
- set terrain invisible (i.e. by setting a transparent texture)

might this work, or is it not performant enough for a smooth user experience?

tjh...@googlemail.com

Feb 19, 2018, 5:27:28 AM2/19/18
to cesium-dev
Did you get any where with this?

Cheers

Gabby Getz

Feb 19, 2018, 3:31:32 PM2/19/18
to cesium-dev
As a quick aside, it looks like it may also be possible to render Cesium on a transparent background with some modifications detailed here and Scene.backgroundColor.

Tim Hughes

Feb 19, 2018, 3:48:51 PM2/19/18
to cesiu...@googlegroups.com
Interesting! We are currently using Unity for AR, but we are keen to start looking at Cesium....

Gabby Getz

Feb 20, 2018, 2:14:26 PM2/20/18
to cesium-dev
Awesome! We'd love to hear your use cases over in this thread so we can improve our support.

ki4...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2018, 8:32:32 PM3/16/18
to cesium-dev
A sandcastle example would be great to show this.

Gabby Getz

Mar 20, 2018, 9:36:16 AM3/20/18
to cesium-dev

dan....@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2019, 4:43:43 PM3/3/19
to cesium-dev
Hi, here's a quick tutorial on how to create an AR app with Cesium:
http://blog.spotupapp.com/2019/03/build-ar-maps-app-with-cesium.html

Alan Rose

Dec 5, 2019, 5:10:52 PM12/5/19
to cesium-dev
Curious to know if anyone has done anything with Cesium and AR since the last post.
The Spotup app mentioned seems to have disappeared from the app store.
I might have a need for such an app but I am guessing it is currently unsupported and so would require a lot of custom webgl coding correct.
I understand three.js can integrate with Cesium. Would this help given three.js has AR support

Omar Shehata

Dec 12, 2019, 3:14:56 PM12/12/19
to cesium-dev
I don't think it would require much if any custom WebGL code. Setting of a split view for each eye is already possible with CesiumJS:

The part that needs to be integrating with some device and AR framework. Do you have any links to the ThreeJS AR support that you've been looking at? I believe ThreeJS integrates with other libraries to do this, as opposed to having to change much in the core engine, so I can imagine it'd be possible to make the same approach with CesiumJS.

Mr.Krabs

Apr 21, 2020, 9:47:12 AM4/21/20
to cesium-dev
Any updates ? has anyone tried integrating cesium with AR

kulvin...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2020, 2:29:56 PM4/24/20
to cesium-dev
Sorry Krabs, No Idea of what you just asked in Email.

Omar Shehata

May 4, 2020, 1:07:35 PM5/4/20
to cesium-dev
Heads up that the forum has transitioned over to Discourse and this Google Group will be put into read-only mode today. Details about the transition here.

You can find this topic on the new forum here: https://community.cesium.com/t/augmented-reality-and-cesium/4148