Kafka/Hadoop consumers and producers

Jay Kreps

Jul 2, 2013, 8:01:53 PM7/2/13
to camu...@googlegroups.com, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
We currently have a contrib package for consuming and producing messages from mapreduce (https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kafka.git;a=tree;f=contrib;h=e53e1fb34893e733b10ff27e79e6a1dcbb8d7ab0;hb=HEAD).

We keep running into problems (e.g. KAFKA-946) that are basically due to the fact that the Kafka committers don't seem to mostly be Hadoop developers and aren't doing a good job of maintaining this code (keeping it tested, improving it, documenting it, writing tutorials, getting it moved over to the more modern apis, getting it working with newer Hadoop versions, etc).

A couple of options:
1. We could try to get someone in the Kafka community (either a current committer or not) who would adopt this as their baby (it's not much code).
2. We could just let Camus take over this functionality. They already have a more sophisticated consumer and the producer is pretty minimal.

So are there any people who would like to adopt the current Hadoop contrib code?

Conversely would it be possible to provide the same or similar functionality in Camus and just delete these?

-Jay

Sam Meder

Jul 3, 2013, 4:06:23 AM7/3/13
to <dev@kafka.apache.org>, camu...@googlegroups.com, us...@kafka.apache.org
I think it makes sense to kill the hadoop consumer/producer code in Kafka, given, as you said, Camus and the simplicity of the Hadoop producer.

/Sam

Cosmin Lehene

Jul 3, 2013, 5:56:47 AM7/3/13
to d...@kafka.apache.org, camu...@googlegroups.com, us...@kafka.apache.org
If the Hadoop consumer/producers use-case will remain relevant for Kafka
(I assume it will), it would make sense to have the core components (kafka
input/output format at least) as part of Kafka so that it could be built,
tested and versioned together to maintain compatibility.
This would also make it easier to build custom MR jobs on top of Kafka,
rather than having to decouple stuff from Camus.
Also it would also be less confusing for users at least when starting
using Kafka.

Camus could use those instead of providing it's own.

This being said we did some work on the consumer side (0.8 and the new(er)
MR API).
We could probably try to rewrite them to use Camus or fix Camus or
whatever, but please consider this alternative as well.

Thanks,
Cosmin

Felix GV

Jul 3, 2013, 1:57:02 PM7/3/13
to Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, camu...@googlegroups.com, us...@kafka.apache.org
IMHO, I think Camus should probably be decoupled from Avro before the simpler contribs are deleted.

We don't actually use the contribs, so I'm not saying this for our sake, but it seems like the right thing to do to provide simple examples for this type of stuff, no...?

--
Felix

Ken Goodhope

Jul 3, 2013, 4:51:36 PM7/3/13
to Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, camu...@googlegroups.com, us...@kafka.apache.org
We can easily make a Camus configuration that would mimic the functionality of the hadoop consumer in contrib.  It may require the addition of a BinaryWritable decoder, and a couple minor code changes.  As for the producer, we don't have anything in Camus that does what it does.  But maybe we should at some point.  In the meantime, Gaurav is going to take a look at what is in contrib and see if it is easily fixed.  I have a feeling it probably will take minimal effort, and allow us to kick the can down the road till we get more time to properly address this.

@Jay, would this work for now?

Ken

Jay Kreps

Jul 3, 2013, 7:48:49 PM7/3/13
to Ken Goodhope, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, camu...@googlegroups.com, us...@kafka.apache.org
I guess I am more concerned about the long term than the short term. I think if you guys want to have all the Hadoop+Kafka stuff then we should move the producer there and it sounds like it would be possible to get similar functionality from the existing consumer code. I am not in a rush I just want to figure out a plan.

The alternative is if there is anyone who is interested in maintaining this stuff in Kafka. The current state where it is poorly documented and maintained is not good.

-Jay

ao...@wikimedia.org

Aug 7, 2013, 12:33:38 PM8/7/13
to camu...@googlegroups.com, Ken Goodhope, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
Hi all,

Over at the Wikimedia Foundation, we're trying to figure out the best way to do our ETL from Kafka into Hadoop. We don't currently use Avro and I'm not sure if we are going to. I came across this post.

If the plan is to remove the hadoop-consumer from Kafka contrib, do you think we should not consider it as one of our viable options?

Thanks!
-Andrew

Ken

Aug 8, 2013, 12:50:53 AM8/8/13
to ao...@wikimedia.org, camu...@googlegroups.com, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
Hi Andrew,

Camus can be made to work without avro. You will need to implement a message decoder and and a data writer. We need to add a better tutorial on how to do this, but it isn't that difficult. If you decide to go down this path, you can always ask questions on this list. I try to make sure each email gets answered. But it can take me a day or two.

-Ken

psaltis...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2013, 9:28:49 AM8/8/13
to camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
We also have a need today to ETL from Kafka into Hadoop and we do not currently nor have any plans to use Avro.

So is the official direction based on this discussion to ditch the Kafka contrib code and direct people to use Camus without Avro as Ken described or are both solutions going to survive?

I can put time into the contrib code and/or work on documenting the tutorial on how to make Camus work without Avro.

Which is the preferred route, for the long term?

Thanks,
Andrew

Felix GV

Aug 8, 2013, 9:18:27 PM8/8/13
to psaltis...@gmail.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
The contrib code is simple and probably wouldn't require too much work to fix, but it's a lot less robust than Camus, so you would ideally need to do some work to make it solid against all edge cases, failure scenarios and performance bottlenecks...

I would definitely recommend investing in Camus instead, since it already covers a lot of the challenges I'm mentioning above, and also has more community support behind it at the moment (as far as I can tell, anyway), so it is more likely to keep getting improvements than the contrib code.

--
Felix

Andrew Psaltis

Aug 8, 2013, 11:21:57 PM8/8/13
to camu...@googlegroups.com, psaltis...@gmail.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
Felix,
The Camus route is the direction I have headed for allot of the reasons that you described. The only wrinkle is we are still on Kafka 0.7.3 so I am in the process of back porting this patch: https://github.com/linkedin/camus/commit/87917a2aea46da9d21c8f67129f6463af52f7aa8 that is described here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/camus_etl/VcETxkYhzg8 -- so that we can handle reading and writing non-avro'ized (if that is a word) data.

I hope to have that done sometime in the morning and would be happy to share it if others can benefit from it.

Thanks,
Andrew

dibyendu.b...@pearson.com

Aug 9, 2013, 11:39:25 AM8/9/13
to camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
Hi Ken,

I am also working on making the Camus fit for Non Avro message for our requirement.

I see you mentioned about this patch (https://github.com/linkedin/camus/commit/87917a2aea46da9d21c8f67129f6463af52f7aa8) which supports custom data writer for Camus. But this patch is not pulled into camus-kafka-0.8 branch. Is there any plan for doing the same ?

Regards,
Dibyendu

Andrew Psaltis

Aug 9, 2013, 11:52:13 AM8/9/13
to dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
Dibyendu,
According to the pull request: https://github.com/linkedin/camus/pull/15 it was merged into the camus-kafka-0.8 branch. I have not checked if the code was subsequently removed, however, two at least one the important files from this patch (camus-api/src/main/java/com/linkedin/camus/etl/RecordWriterProvider.java) is still present.

Thanks,
Andrew

Ken Goodhope

Aug 9, 2013, 3:27:12 PM8/9/13
to Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
I just checked and that patch is in .8 branch.   Thanks for working on back porting it Andrew.  We'd be happy to commit that work to master.

As for the kafka contrib project vs Camus, they are similar but not quite identical.  Camus is intended to be a high throughput ETL for bulk ingestion of Kafka data into HDFS.  Where as what we have in contrib is more of a simple KafkaInputFormat.  Neither can really replace the other.  If you had a complex hadoop workflow and wanted to introduce some Kafka data into that workflow, using Camus would be a gigantic overkill and a pain to setup.  On the flipside, if what you want is frequent reliable ingest of Kafka data into HDFS, a simple InputFormat doesn't provide you with that.

I think it would be preferable to simplify the existing contrib Input/OutputFormats by refactoring them to use the more stable higher level Kafka APIs.  Currently they use the lower level APIs.  This should make them easier to maintain, and user friendly enough to avoid the need for extensive documentation.

Ken

Jay Kreps

Aug 10, 2013, 6:30:10 PM8/10/13
to Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
So guys, just to throw my 2 cents in:

1. We aren't deprecating anything. I just noticed that the Hadoop contrib package wasn't getting as much attention as it should.

2. Andrew or anyone--if there is anyone using the contrib package who would be willing to volunteer to kind of adopt it that would be great. I am happy to help in whatever way I can. The practical issue is that most of the committers are either using Camus or not using Hadoop at all so we just haven't been doing a good job of documenting, bug fixing, and supporting the contrib packages.

3. Ken, if you could document how to use Camus that would likely make it a lot more useful to people. I think most people would want a full-fledged ETL solution and would likely prefer Camus, but very few people are using Avro.

-Jay

Kam Kasravi

Aug 12, 2013, 8:16:49 PM8/12/13
to d...@kafka.apache.org, Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, us...@kafka.apache.org
I would like to do this refactoring since I did a high level consumer a while ago.
A few weeks ago I had opened KAFKA-949 Kafka on Yarn which I was also hoping to add to contribute.
It's almost done. KAFKA-949 is paired with BIGTOP-989 which adds kafka 0.8 to the bigtop distribution.
KAFKA-949 basically allows kafka brokers to be started up using sysvinit services and would ease some of the
startup/configuration issues that newbies have when getting started with kafka. Ideally I would like to
fold a number of kafka/bin/* commands into the kafka service. Andrew please let me know if would like to
pick this up instead. Thanks!

Kam

>> branch. I have not checked if the code was subsequently removed, however,
>> two at least one the important files from this patch (camus-api/src/main/java/com/linkedin/camus/etl/RecordWriterProvider.java)
>> is still present.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew
>>

>>  On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM, <dibyendu.b...@pearson.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi Ken,
>>>
>>> I am also working on making the Camus fit for Non Avro message for our
>>> requirement.
>>>
>>> I see you mentioned about this patch (
>>> https://github.com/linkedin/camus/commit/87917a2aea46da9d21c8f67129f6463af52f7aa8)
>>> which supports custom data writer for Camus. But this patch is not pulled
>>> into camus-kafka-0.8 branch. Is there any plan for doing the same ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dibyendu
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>  --

Andrew Otto

Aug 12, 2013, 10:00:44 PM8/12/13
to Kam Kasravi, d...@kafka.apache.org, Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, us...@kafka.apache.org
We've done a bit of work over at Wikimedia to debianize Kafka and make it behave like a regular service.

Most relevant, Ken, is an init script for Kafka:

And a bin/kafka shell wrapper for the kafka/bin/*.sh scripts:

I'm about to add an init script for MirrorMaker as well, so mirroring can be demonized and run as a service.

Andrew Psaltis

Aug 12, 2013, 11:20:04 PM8/12/13
to us...@kafka.apache.org, Kam Kasravi, d...@kafka.apache.org, Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene
Kam,
I am perfectly fine if you pick this up. After thinking about it for a
while, we are going to upgrade to Kafka 0.8.0 and also use Camus as it
more closely matches our use case, with the caveat of we do not use Avro.
With that said, I will try and work on the back-port of custom data writer
patch[1], however, I am not sure how quickly I will get this done as we
are going to work towards upgrading our Kafka cluster.

Thanks,
Andrew

[1]
https://github.com/linkedin/camus/commit/87917a2aea46da9d21c8f67129f6463af5
2f7aa8

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>>an
>> email to camus_etl+...@googlegroups.com.

Andrew Otto

Aug 13, 2013, 10:46:18 AM8/13/13
to Andrew Psaltis, us...@kafka.apache.org, Kam Kasravi, d...@kafka.apache.org, Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene
Andrew,

I'm about to dive into figuring out how to use Camus without Avro. Perhaps we should join forces? (Be warned thought! My java fu is low at the moment. :) ).

-Ao

Kam Kasravi

Aug 13, 2013, 1:26:38 PM8/13/13
to Andrew Psaltis, us...@kafka.apache.org, d...@kafka.apache.org, Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene
Thanks Andrew. I upgrade it to use the high level consumer.

Aug 13, 2013, 1:34:18 PM8/13/13
to d...@kafka.apache.org, Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, us...@kafka.apache.org
Thanks Andrew - I like the shell wrapper - very clean and simple.
What installs all the kafka dependencies under /usr/share/java?

We've done a bit of work over at Wikimedia to debianize Kafka and make it behave like a regular service.

https://github.com/wikimedia/operations-debs-kafka/blob/debian/debian

Most relevant, Ken, is an init script for Kafka:
  https://github.com/wikimedia/operations-debs-kafka/blob/debian/debian/kafka.init

And a bin/kafka shell wrapper for the kafka/bin/*.sh scripts:
  https://github.com/wikimedia/operations-debs-kafka/blob/debian/debian/bin/kafka

On Aug 12, 2013, at 8:16 PM, Kam Kasravi <kamka...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to do this refactoring since I did a high level consumer a while ago.
> A few weeks ago I had opened KAFKA-949 Kafka on Yarn which I was also hoping to add to contribute.
> It's almost done. KAFKA-949 is paired with BIGTOP-989 which adds kafka 0.8 to the bigtop distribution.
> KAFKA-949 basically allows kafka brokers to be started up using sysvinit services and would ease some of the
> startup/configuration issues that newbies have when getting started with kafka. Ideally I would like to
> fold a number of kafka/bin/* commands into the kafka service. Andrew please let me know if would like to
> pick this up instead. Thanks!
>
> Kam

Andrew Otto

Aug 13, 2013, 4:03:16 PM8/13/13
to Kam Kasravi, d...@kafka.apache.org, Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, us...@kafka.apache.org
What installs all the kafka dependencies under /usr/share/java?

The debian/ work was done mostly by another WMF staffer.  We tried and tried to make sbt behave with debian standards, most importantly the one that requires that .debs can be created without needing to connect to the internet, aside from official apt repositories.

Many of the /usr/share/java dependencies are handled by apt.  Any that aren't available in an official apt somewhere have been manually added to the ext/ directory.

The sbt build system has been replaced with Make:

You should be able to build a .deb by checking out the debian branch and running:

  git-buildpackage -uc -us

-Ao

Kam Kasravi

Aug 13, 2013, 6:03:31 PM8/13/13
to d...@kafka.apache.org, Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, us...@kafka.apache.org
Thanks - I'll ask on bigtop regarding the .deb requirement - it seems they don't abide by this.
I may merge a bit of your work into bigtop-989 if that's ok with you. I do know the bigtop folks
would like to see sbt support.

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:03 PM

https://github.com/wikimedia/operations-debs-kafka/blob/debian/debian/patches/our-own-build-system.patch

On Aug 13, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Kam Kasravi <kamka...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Andrew - I like the shell wrapper - very clean and simple.
> What installs all the kafka dependencies under /usr/share/java?

Andrew Otto

Aug 13, 2013, 7:17:01 PM8/13/13
to Kam Kasravi, d...@kafka.apache.org, Ken Goodhope, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, camu...@googlegroups.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, us...@kafka.apache.org
 may merge a bit of your work into bigtop-989 if that's ok with you.
Merge away!  Happy to help. :)

I'll ask on bigtop regarding the .deb requirement - it seems they don't abide by this.
Yeah, there seems to be a constant struggle between the 'java way' of doing things, e.g. Maven downloading the internet, and the 'debian way', e.g. be paranoid about everything, make sure the build process is 100% repeatable.

Bigtop should definitely do whatever Bigtop thinks is best.  This Makefile technique works for us now, but probably will require a lot of manual maintenance as Kafka grows.

sudhee...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2013, 7:11:40 AM10/2/13
to camu...@googlegroups.com, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
its nice information and it is used for us.123trainings also provides hadoop online trainings

sudhee...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2013, 7:15:13 AM10/2/13
to camu...@googlegroups.com, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org, sudhee...@gmail.com
its nice information and it is used for us.hadoop online trainings also provides hadoop online trainings

Abhi Basu

Nov 22, 2013, 12:33:22 PM11/22/13
to camu...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Psaltis, dibyendu.b...@pearson.com, ao...@wikimedia.org, Felix GV, Cosmin Lehene, d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org
I agree with you. We are looking for a simple solution for data from Kafka to Hadoop. I have tried using Camus earlier (Non-Avro) and documentation is lacking to make it work correctly, as we do not need to introduce another component to the solution. In the meantime, can the Kafka Hadoop Consumer/Producer be documented well so we can try it out ASAP. :)  Thanks.