Re: [caborico] Hydrovane

Thierry Danz

Jun 14, 2016, 11:16:17 AM6/14/16
to Cabo Rico

The Hydrovane is a great unit. I have an older model. I bought it for a previous boat in the early 90s. The newer ones are heavier and have a "remote control". I can only adjust the vane from the after deck. As I have a below-decks B&G autopilot on my CR42 I don't use the Hydrovane as much anymore. But when the B&G failed two years ago the Hydrovane in combination with a small tillerpilot steered me all the way home from Maine to the Chesapeake. See the August 2014 postings in my blog: www.sailblogs.com/member/curlew.

Thierry
CR42#12 CURLEW
Baltimore, MD

On Jun 14, 2016 09:53, "Daniel Sanders" <oceang...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is option I'm going with I think. how do you like your hydro-vane?

On Jun 14, 2016 5:35 PM, "Thierry Danz" <tdan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oceanghost,

I have a 2kW radar on a Questus 400G on my CR42. I like it. I had the bigger model Questus on my previous CR38 but I always thought that that unit put too much force on the backstay chainplate. The 400G rests on the caprail and does not affect the chainplate.

Thierry
CR42#12 CURLEW
Baltimore, MD