Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Green Flash

ongelezen,
2 aug 2010, 14:01:5402-08-2010
aan Beneteau Owners
I am new to this group so please forgive if I do something
wrong.
I have Beneteau 40.7 Hull 676, Green Flash here in Hawaii and
another boat Cazan is also here. She was the last of the 40.7's
manufactured, hull 737.
We have have both had some rudder issues that may play to this
situation. Cazan's rudder was replaced by beneteau and its owner
obtained the original specs for the rudder from the Farr office. Both
their original rudder and the replacement did not have carbon fiber
stocks, but "composite" stocks. I took mine out, and mine was also
"composite" not carbon fiber.
Both Cazan and us experienced a high level of sensitivity of the
boats to rounding up, so after getting the farr specs, they made
templates which showed that the rudders as originally provided were in
places close to two inches shorter fore and aft than the farr
requirements. They told me, but I did not see it, that Farr did
specify carbon fiber in the posts. Beneteau has denied to us that
these boats were ever supposed to have carbon fiber rudders.
The composite rudder posts appeared to be solid and in tact so
we did nothing with them. However, we did increase the area of the
rudders to match the original Farr templates.
They tore their rudder open and found that the rudder did not
contain a lower paddle providing stiffening to the back edge of the
rudder which was part of the original spec, so they installed that.
Also, the rudders were a little bit fatter side to side than the farr
spec. In my case, there was enough gel coat to remove that it could be
brought back to the templates without grinding any glass.
My rudder was in much better shape than theirs. No internal
leaking. I decided to have the layup to expand the area to match the
Farr spec done with Cabon Fiber and also to have the entire rudder
encased in two layers of cabon fiber to give it more stiffness and
strength, instead of having it torn apart to build in the missing
lower paddle.
In the case of both boats, the added rudder area completely
changed the personality of the boat from one in which the helmsman was
always on edge about the potential for the rudder to cavitate and the
boat to round up, to one where the rudder never cavitates and the boat
stays under control in all but the most extreme circumstances. The
change made it possible to take advantage of the power available to
the boat in a way that had never been possible.
After Pacific Cup this year (we were not in it) I was speaking
with a sailor from SF who reported to me that some 40.7's in SF Bay
had made the same change with the same results as us.
A year or two ago, a 40.7 from seattle lost their rudder in
the Victoria to Maui race, apparently with the rudder post breaking
off at the hull. There was some question about whether a pre race
backing incident had contributed to that situation.
These are my conclusions: Without the lower paddle, and
without being built of carbon, the rudders may bend and then break in
challenging conditions.
Here in Hawaii our normal conditions are eight foot seas and
20-30 knots of wind. So for us it is necessary to have equipment that
will handle these conditions regularly. My rudder as fixed is ok for
races close to shore in fleets where others are close by. But with
the added area which was needed to give us control of the boat, will
the glass and resin rudder post be strong enough to handle the
increase loading? I don't know.
I am now thinking of having a rudder built from scratch to the
original Farr spec with carbon fiber. I will not take the boat for an
extended ocean cruise or race without doing that. I think I will also
have some additional layup done around the base of the lower rudder
tube where it meets the hull.

Max Lynn

ongelezen,
4 aug 2010, 12:01:3104-08-2010
aan benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howard:
You cannot do wrong here unless you try to tell us which prop is best for
our boat. Just kidding - it's an inside joke. Your rudder research was very
interesting and your post is imformative.

I'm one of the few 40.7 owners that post here, although I suspect that there
are others who lurk occasionally. I have Hull # 397, and I had the
impression from just looking at my rudder stock that it is carbon fiber.
But I could be mistaken. I am familiar however with the fact that there is
a great deal of confusion regarding this issue, and I think there may even
be some confusion within Beneteau on the issue. I guess you are familiar
with what was posted on the East Coast 407 group's Yahoo site on this
subject, since I see you have posted there.

I can only tell you that I have done a significant amount of heavy air
sailing with this boat and am not afraid to take it anywhere with regard to
rudder strength. I graduated to this boat from an old IOR design with
pinched stern, which was very difficult to sail in heavy air off the wind.
My 40.7 is like a dream, control-wise, when compared to that boat. That's
not to say that some people don't criticize its controllability, and I'm not
familiar with a lot of other boats under those conditions (say 25 to 35kts
TWS with a kite up), so I don't feel qualified to judge their criticism.
From what you have discovered, it may be that I have a larger rudder than
yours was originally.

Several 40.7's in the past have sailed in the local race called the Coastal
Cup (often heavy air downwind) and also complained of controllability
issues, BUT none have lost their rudder. One broke his steering cable, but
that's the ultimate control problem, and IMHO, was likely due to poor
maintenance.

Max Lynn