Starterware on Beaglebone

CoolPerson:-)

Jun 16, 2014, 2:04:45 PM6/16/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I intend to use Starterware by TI on a Beaglebone. I wish to know if I have to purchase the earlier version of the Beaglebone to do this. ( the white one) or would I be able to code with starterware via CCS to the BBB?

thank you for all your responses.

Mark Lazarewicz

Jun 17, 2014, 8:56:03 PM6/17/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

With white you get jtag without adding a jtag socket needed by black

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Jun 17, 2014, 9:28:19 PM6/17/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mark.
So to confirm, to use starterware on the BBB I will have to purchase a JTAG as well, whereas I will need not to do that with a BB white.  Am I correct?

Regards,
Amalinda Gamage

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.

Mark Lazarewicz

Jun 17, 2014, 9:58:11 PM6/17/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

For me jtag is a must if you want to gamble that serial port works and $89 is an issue For jtag then you could use black then your stuck flashing sd cards and guessing .you could start with black and if you have no debug then you have to solder socket on black. White uses fdti usb jtag no socket

Jun 18, 2014, 2:18:47 PM6/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

In my opinion there are several reasons to not to use BB White:
- it is no longer available, so using it is not really future proof
- the JTAG header is not very useful in general, except you buy one of the thousand Dollar processor probes from TI (the cheap 70$ variant is incredibly slow and sometimes influences the code in an unwanted way - like ISRs that are no longer called when running with the probe, SD card has to be removed during code upload and other ugly things more); so it does not really matter when you don't have one immediately

So my suggestion: use BBB, add this JTAG header (it is not very complicated, TinCan Tools offers a ready-to use set for this), and write your own simulation that gives the possibility to run your code on a normal desktop PC. This way you have to use the probe only in case of troubles with hardware.
What you say is not accurate. The USB100V2 is less than $100 and is plenty fast enough. The TinCan Tools just doesn’t work and there are several users on this mailing list that have tried and failed. If you are using Starterware, CCSV6 makes software development really easy because you can edit, compile, download to the BeagleBone and then you are given diagnostic tools to view thread execution, code coverage, timing metrics, etc.

While the USB100V2 can be used for Linux Kernel code (Drivers, Modules, etc) development, it isn’t really Linux OS aware (CCSV4 did have this feature, but this was dropped in CCSV5). You can see Linux kernel source code, set breakpoints, view global and local variables, but you cannot switch to another kernel process or view many of the kernel data structures. Debugging Kernel Modules is almost impossible. For real Linux Kernel code development I recommend using Lauterbach which is Linux Kernel OS Aware, and takes advantage of the AM335x internal 32k trace buffer, but it is > $5,000.

Regards,
John

Fred

fredf...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2014, 5:18:10 AM6/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 18 June 2014 20:18:47 UTC+2, john3909 wrote:
What you say is not accurate. The USB100V2 is less than $100 and is plenty fast enough.

TI itself points to the fact that you need much patience when using USB100V2. I don't know what size your application has but with a .bin file above 100 kByte there is time to get a cup of coffee until .GEL file is executed and firmware is loaded.

Beside of that restarting the code on BBB does not work, so you reload the code quite often.

The TinCan Tools just doesn’t work and there are several users on this mailing list that have tried and failed.

TinCan Tools I mentioned are the header (that is required for Black) and an adapter to connect with the TI debugger - so just some passive pieces of metal that work fine for me. Don't have any experience with their debuggers.

While the USB100V2 can be used for Linux Kernel code (Drivers, Modules, etc) development, it isn’t really Linux OS aware (CCSV4 did have this feature, but this was dropped in CCSV5). You can see Linux kernel source code, set breakpoints, view global and local variables, but you cannot switch to another kernel process or view many of the kernel data structures. Debugging Kernel Modules is almost impossible. For real Linux Kernel code development I recommend using Lauterbach which is Linux Kernel OS Aware, and takes advantage of the AM335x internal 32k trace buffer, but it is > $5,000.

I'm using it for bare metal programming with Starterware only, no Linux involved. There the debugger works quite poor, also with CCS6.

Fred

John Syn

Jun 23, 2014, 12:22:03 PM6/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, June 23, 2014 at 2:18 AM
To: "beagl...@googlegroups.com" <beagl...@googlegroups.com>

On Wednesday, 18 June 2014 20:18:47 UTC+2, john3909 wrote:
What you say is not accurate. The USB100V2 is less than $100 and is plenty fast enough.

TI itself points to the fact that you need much patience when using USB100V2. I don't know what size your application has but with a .bin file above 100 kByte there is time to get a cup of coffee until .GEL file is executed and firmware is loaded.
Then you must be using a TCLK less than 10MHz. With TCLK at 10MHz, a 100kB image will download in seconds.

Beside of that restarting the code on BBB does not work, so you reload the code quite often.

The TinCan Tools just doesn’t work and there are several users on this mailing list that have tried and failed.

TinCan Tools I mentioned are the header (that is required for Black) and an adapter to connect with the TI debugger - so just some passive pieces of metal that work fine for me. Don't have any experience with their debuggers.
Ah, I have used them too. I use a TI compact 20 to ARM20 adapter with my Lauterbach emulator. Now this emulators is screaming fast.

While the USB100V2 can be used for Linux Kernel code (Drivers, Modules, etc) development, it isn’t really Linux OS aware (CCSV4 did have this feature, but this was dropped in CCSV5). You can see Linux kernel source code, set breakpoints, view global and local variables, but you cannot switch to another kernel process or view many of the kernel data structures. Debugging Kernel Modules is almost impossible. For real Linux Kernel code development I recommend using Lauterbach which is Linux Kernel OS Aware, and takes advantage of the AM335x internal 32k trace buffer, but it is > $5,000.

I'm using it for bare metal programming with Starterware only, no Linux involved. There the debugger works quite poor, also with CCS6.
I don’t have the same experience. I’ve used USB100V2 and USB560M with SYSBIOS and I have been quite happy with the performance. Single stepping in a second or less on the USB100V2. The USB560M is much faster because it has a TCLK that can support up to 50MHz, but it generally works fine at 25MHz. Perhaps you are displaying far too much info (stack, variables, memory dump, etc) which have to be updated on each single step.

Regards,
John

Fred

Fred Fisch

Jun 26, 2014, 2:14:46 AM6/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Date: Monday, June 23, 2014 at 2:18 AM
To: "beagl...@googlegroups.com" <beagl...@googlegroups.com>

On Wednesday, 18 June 2014 20:18:47 UTC+2, john3909 wrote:
What you say is not accurate. The USB100V2 is less than $100 and is plenty fast enough.

TI itself points to the fact that you need much patience when using USB100V2. I don't know what size your application has but with a .bin file above 100 kByte there is time to get a cup of coffee until .GEL file is executed and firmware is loaded.
Then you must be using a TCLK less than 10MHz. With TCLK at 10MHz, a 100kB image will download in seconds.

Sounds interesting...where can one change this value (in CCS6)?

John Syn

Jun 26, 2014, 2:34:03 AM6/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

From: Fred Fisch <fredf...@gmail.com>