BeagleBone Green's HDMI cape with 2016-04-10 Jessi firmware

Aitor Ardanza

Apr 14, 2016, 10:16:16 AM4/14/16
to BeagleBoard
Hi all,

I'm trying to operate the Seeds Studio HDMI cape into the BeagleBone Green with last firmware. The LCD screen that I'm using is a 5" size and 800x480 resolution touch screen. I know that this resolution is not supported directly by the beaglebone but as I read is posible to configure beaglebone's out resolution manualy. But that's a problem that I will later. The screen works because if I connet it to the laptop I can see the laptop desktop there.

So with newly installed firmware the output of the "cat /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots" command is
 0: PF----  -1
 1: PF----  -1
 2: PF----  -1
 3: P-----  -1 Beaglebone green hdmi cape,00A0,Seeed,BB-GREEN-HDMI
 4: P-O-L-   0 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,univ-emmc

So with this, I can interpret this firmware brings support for this cape, but is not loaded for some reason...
I try editing the /boot/uEnv.tx file adding "cape_enable=bone_capemgr.enable_partno=BB-GREEN-HDMI" line but it has not been effective.

I found multiple threads with information to disable the hdmi in beaglebone, but nothing about how to activate the hdmi cape. SeedStudio gives you a firmware but is out of date and I want to try to configure it for the last firmaware.

Can anyone give me some tip as to which way to go?

Robert Nelson

Apr 14, 2016, 10:34:16 AM4/14/16
to Beagle Board, ard...@gmail.com
For this cape, you'll need to downgrade to 3.8.x:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.8.13-bone79
sudo reboot

I haven't got it working on v4.1.x yet..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Aitor Ardanza

Apr 14, 2016, 11:04:09 AM4/14/16
to BeagleBoard, ard...@gmail.com
Ok Robert,

Thanks for the info

zezb...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2017, 7:34:36 AM11/16/17
to BeagleBoard
Its almost 2018... this cape still doesn't work.

"zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_BONE_CAPEMGR" >>reports>> "CONFIG_BONE_CAPEMGR=y" Latest OS fully up to date: bone-debian-9.1-lxqt-armhf-2017-08-31-4gb.img

Robert Nelson

Nov 16, 2017, 8:44:10 AM11/16/17
to Beagle Board
Yeah Seeed ported it to v4.4.x.

It needs someone to write and push a real DRM driver to mainline. ( The chipset used is also on a few rockchip boards. )

Regards,

tamin...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2019, 8:57:50 AM1/10/19
to BeagleBoard

Its 2019... this cape still doesn't work.

BB-GREEN-HDMI not loaded (not working)  in 4.14

Robert Nelson

Jan 10, 2019, 9:28:52 AM1/10/19
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 7:57 AM <tamin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its 2019... this cape still doesn't work.

You forgot to attach your kernel patch. ;)

> BB-GREEN-HDMI not loaded (not working) in 4.14

Use v4.4.x

Piraten fee

Jan 11, 2019, 10:54:00 AM1/11/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com