History of Wage Revision in Banks

Mohandas Rao

Nov 29, 2013, 8:41:11 AM11/29/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

Delay in Wage Settlements is as under for Bank Employees:

DELAYS IN DAYS- WAGE REVISION OF BANK EMPLOYEES

Bipartite

No.

Date of Effect

Date of Settlement

Delay in Days

1

01.01.1966

19.10.1966

291

2

01.01.1970

12.10.1970

284

3

01.09.1978

01.08.1979

334

4

01.07.1984

17.09.1984

78

5

01.11.1987

10.04.1989

526

6

01.11.1992

14.02.1995

835

7

01.11.1997

01.01.2000

791

8

01.11.2002

01.06.2005

943

9

01.11.2007

27.04.2010

908

10

01.11.2012

?

?

I thank Sri M. Perumal for providing the data. While surfing internet accidentally I have gone to a website pnbworkersunion.tripod.com.  It contained information about the history of Wage Revision for Bank Employees up to the 4th Bipartite Settlement, and found it very interesting. I attach a file having such information for the benefit of all of us.

K. MOHANDAS RAO

History of Banks' Wage Settlements.docx

Mohandas Rao

Nov 30, 2013, 11:01:13 AM11/30/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

      We have crossed so many hurdles. The above history explains the various stages of our long fight. Bipartite Settlements for wage revision for bank employees is the best option in spite of many shortcomings. We get salary revision in every 5 years, whereas in Central or State Government, it is in 10 years. Still, some people advocate different things like setting up a Pay Commission etc.

       Now let us hope for a pension revision after every settlement, popularly known as Updating of Pension.

K. MOHANDAS RAO

--
Visit our blog site http:://bankpensioner.blogspot.com
---

cpvnair

Dec 1, 2013, 1:02:57 AM12/1/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com

A VERY VALID POINT.The Bank employees' salary revision takes place once in five years whereas in central govt it is after a ten year gap.So we need not revolve around this point.Instead, let us fight for updation.

warm reg

CPVNAIR

Daulat Munot

Dec 1, 2013, 11:48:41 AM12/1/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
Dear Comrades, Despite of the above facts the salary of the bank employees at present in public sector banks is much lower in comparision
to Government employees.Does it is the grand success of our Bipartite settlement in comparision to wage commission or now it requires significant change  in negotiation spirit.Now the demand of time emphazises TRIPARTITE SETTLEMENT. Retired pensioners should not be neglated much more now.We expect the present wage negotiation with I.B.A. should be executed impartially by the U.F.B.U. duly coordinated with our Banks' retired association leaders.

bhaskara sarma

Dec 1, 2013, 11:28:41 PM12/1/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
Yes ,this process of inviting Retiree representatives is already overdue.At least if it is done immediately,UFBU also will have committed support of retirees and in future we can avoid court litigations which are tarnishing the image of everybody.
With Regards
P B Sarma.

mahaboob basha

Dec 2, 2013, 1:09:19 AM12/2/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sir,

Before Pillai committee recommendations, bank employee’s salary was more than any central government employee.

As you rightly said, there must be significant change in the negotiating spirit of UFBU.

Retirees can form associations and unions but they can’t function as trade unions. There is no business for them to interfere in the operating side of the bank. Serving employees and their unions can question the bank and demand fair wages and negotiate for other related matters, periodically like retirees have done in the past.

Whatever the issues of retirees can be discussed separately with the banks with the cooperation of UFBU. But retirees can’t be a party for their negotiations regarding their demands. At the most, we can lend our moral support indirectly.

Let us hope UFBU will come to our rescue too and help to get redressal of our grievances.

s.m.basha

Get your own FREE website, FREE domain & FREE mobile app with Company email.
Know More >

mahaboob basha

Dec 2, 2013, 10:45:25 AM12/2/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com

Can anybody clarify the following:

1. How the retiree representative be called for negotiations on par with serving unions. When there is no due, how it will become overdue ?

2. How UFBU will get the support of a non-member and that too retired from the service.

3. How court litigations will tarnish the image of everybody. If so, why we were going to courts on our own ? …. To get everybody’s image tarnished ?

The above questions are not to hurt anybody but to change my opinion. So far I believe with my experience and knowledge and age that the above three are not correct.

s.m.basha

Yes ,this process of inviting Retiree representatives is already overdue.At least if it is done immediately,UFBU also will have committed support of retirees and in future we can avoid court litigations which are tarnishing the image of everybody.
With Regards
P B Sarma.

bhaskara sarma

Dec 2, 2013, 10:12:32 PM12/2/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
Why the salaries of Bank employees have come down compared to the central govt employees?Why Uniform DA and Pension updation for retirees are not taken up during the past four bipartites Eventhough the same were agreed and signed by IBA and AIBEA in the MOU dt 29/10/1993?Why deemed retirement clause is specifically introduced in 9 th bipartite settlement and for whose benefit?Why there is inordinate delay in conclusion of Bipartite settlements since 6th bipartite?Why so many court cases were filed against IBA alleging injustice done?Apart from policy matters how many individual issues are pending unattended for the past so many years?How far grievance redressal committes are effective?Every retiree and pensioner has to analyse these issues critically.When so many issues are mounting what is the use of concluding Bipartite settlement every 5 years.Simply it became a ritual without addressing core issues.
With Regards to everybody,
P B Sarma.

On Monday, December 2, 2013, mahaboob basha wrote:

[...]

Dec 3, 2013, 12:34:17 AM12/3/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
Since retirees are also beneficiaries of the bank funds,to ensure equitable distribution of the funds,the retiree representatives may also be invited.Already the Finance ministry also directed accordingly.If the retiree representatives are also invited for negotiations,the Finance ministry or IBA gets proper feedback of what is happening to retirees.

When retiree representatives are also taken into confidence and the issues are discussed and settled with mutual understanding between UFBU and Retiree representatives,naturally UFBU gets support of the retirees.

If there are too many court cases against anybody or Institution,that shows he or the institution will be labelled as litigant and general public or courts  get an impression that all is not well with the individual or Institution.
With Regards,
P B Sarma.

Mohandas Rao

Dec 3, 2013, 2:25:11 AM12/3/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

         Around a year back the following statement appeared as a news [ ON 01.12.2012]. I now reproduce it from a website.

K. MOHANDAS RAO

No Comparison between pay Structure of Central Government Employees and of Bank Employees

The pay scales of employees in Public Sector Banks (PSBs) are determined as per the agreement between the management and Associations/Unions every five years. Besides the pay, employees in banks are also entitled to a number of other allowances and benefits. The pay scale of the Central Government employees are finalised by Government taking the recommendations of Central Pay Commission into consideration and these pay scales are reviewed generally after ten years. The terms and conditions of service of Central Government employees and Bank employees are entirely different and are regulated in terms of the respective service conditions. Hence, no comparison can be drawn between pay structure of Central Government employees and of bank employees.

This was stated by the Minister of State for Finance, Shri Namo Narain Meena in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha.

L S RAMAN

Dec 3, 2013, 7:51:12 AM12/3/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
The basic principle of equal work and equal pay is  doctrine spelt out by the Hon Supreme court.In fact the financial risk and responsibilities vested with Bank functionaries is much more compared to gove servants.The Govt as an employer should be realistic assessing the role play and hnour the principle of equal work and equal pay.
raman.l.S.

cpvnair

mahaboob basha

Dec 3, 2013, 9:21:59 AM12/3/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com

Thank U for the response.

From my point of view, the letter sent by MOF to IBA is not to invite retiree representatives for negotiations pertaining to 10th BPS. It is meant just to discuss retirees problems. No way the retirees can become the part of negotiating table along with the leaders of UFBU. Pity is IBA, so far, has not cared to the above letter.

Retirees already supporting the actions of UFBU. But it can’t be taken for any calculations as a support to UFBU, officially.

Courts never invite anybody on their own. We only are tapping the doors of all courts for various reasons. We have to respect our own actions and need not feel as damage or some other thing.

Individuals may differ with opinions but ultimately the goal is common. If all individuals try to minimize the gap, reaching the target is not imposible.

cpvnair

Mohandas Rao

Dec 4, 2013, 4:11:54 AM12/4/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

       An AIBEA circular dated 27.05.2010 about Pay Commission for Central Govt. Employeees and Bipartite Settlements fo Bank Employees/officers is attached here.
Members are free to arrive at their own conclusions.

K. MOHANDAS RAO
wage revision story.pdf

bhaskara sarma

Dec 4, 2013, 9:26:36 AM12/4/13
to bankpe...@googlegroups.com
Statistics some times hide more than what they reveal.
P B Sarma.