Some of Tutorials & Examples are broken

Chuck James

Jan 3, 2014, 4:11:37 PM1/3/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com

Tobias Oberstein

Jan 4, 2014, 3:39:50 PM1/4/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Am 03.01.2014 22:11, schrieb Chuck James:

> The Autobahn Tutorials at following page:
> http://autobahn.ws/python/tutorials/ are broken.

Thanks!

We need to update the links and the imports in the example. Both are due
to recent major refactorings in Autobahn for Asyncio support ..

https://github.com/tavendo/AutobahnWebsite/issues/3

/Tobias

> 1. WebSocket Programming
> * Hello world: WebSocket Echo
> <http://autobahn.ws/python/tutorials/echo/>
> * *Broadcasting over WebSocket
> <https://github.com/tavendo/AutobahnPython/tree/master/examples/websocket/broadcast>
> **(Broken)*
> * Using the Frame-based and Streaming APIs
> <http://autobahn.ws/python/tutorials/streaming/>
> * Flow control with the Producer-Consumer Pattern
> <http://autobahn.ws/python/tutorials/producerconsumer/>
> * *Using TLS: secure WebSocket
> <https://github.com/tavendo/AutobahnPython/tree/master/examples/websocket/echo_tls>
> **(Broken)*
> * *Using Autobahn|Python with Twisted Web
> <https://github.com/tavendo/AutobahnPython/tree/master/examples/websocket/echo_site>
> (Broken)*
>
> I guess just the URL broken.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck.

Amitabh Arya

Jan 5, 2014, 11:01:06 AM1/5/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com, autob...@googlegroups.com
Is Autobahnws better with Asyncio or with twisted and why?

Amitabh Arya
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Autobahn" group.

Tobias Oberstein

Jan 5, 2014, 10:55:52 AM1/5/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Am 05.01.2014 17:01, schrieb Amitabh Arya:
> Is Autobahnws better with Asyncio or with twisted and why?

What do you like better - chocolate or vanilla ice cream?

;)

No, seriously: they both have different characteristics, and it depends
on your specific requirements and taste.

That being said:

asyncio is much younger, but is _included_ in every Python 3.4 default
installation.

asyncio has a more limited scope - eg Twisted has builtin support for
quite a few protocols (HTTP, SSH, IRC, FTP, ..).

Both are driven by very smart guys: Glyph (Twisted) and Guido (asyncio).

Both are here to stay (that's a prediction of course .. but I'd say a
pretty safe one).

It's your choice.

I think it's good that AutobahnPython does not force you into one or the
other, but leaves the decision to you. Same for Python 2 vs 3.

In fact, AutobahnPython is the only WebSocket (and real-time) framework
that supports both Twisted and asyncio.

/Tobias