Waiting for head node to initialize... Unable to start on Ubuntu Xenial 16.04.2 LTS

Ravi K

May 29, 2017, 10:52:42 PM5/29/17
to AppScale Community
trying a single instance setup and have Cassandra running. there seem to be a series of errors during the startup however lack of zookeeper connectivity seems to be the showstopper

appscale up

the controller log is attached. any help will be awesome..
controller.log

chris....@appscale.com

Jun 8, 2017, 8:32:51 PM6/8/17
to AppScale Community
Unfortunately, I'm not able to figure out why ZooKeeper didn't start from the provided log. If you run into this issue again, I would recommend enabling debug-level logs (adding verbose: True in your AppScalefile), and also checking the zookeeper log (/var/log/zookeeper/zookeeper.log).

Ravi

Jun 8, 2017, 8:42:23 PM6/8/17
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Thanks chris, will try this again and will post findings.

More general question: what is the best know single-box production
environment to use where appscale will run with absolutely no issues?
The reason I ask is because even though Docker works well for
test/dev, need a persistent datastore that's not tied to the
container's lifecycle.

Chris Donati

Jun 8, 2017, 9:23:47 PM6/8/17
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
I would definitely not recommend using AppScale on docker for production. It's probably our least-tested environment.

I would recommend running AppScale on a virtual machine with at least 4GB of memory. We have pre-built images that we've tested, so you don't need to worry about building from scratch (https://www.appscale.com/try-appscale). I tend to use vagrant the most with virtualbox, but our images for AWS, GCE, and Azure are all equally well-tested.

Though AppScale can run on xenial now, I would recommend using trusty for another release for production deployments. Until we've optimized our memory usage a bit more, running all services on a virtual machine with 4GB of memory is a bit tight with xenial.