Re: libhoudini and AMD based cpu not working

Christopher Price

Dec 29, 2014, 1:55:02 PM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Such discussions would be off topic beyond what I have already said. Those that are using Houdini, aside from this project, have licensed it.

I am not aware of anyone else using Houdini, supporting AMD, and going unlicensed.

And that is why houdini.git should be removed (or at least stripped of Intel code) before further builds are posted on the site.

Frankly I have no problem with Android-x86.org licensing Houdini, aside from it losing fully open source status.

It just hurts the whole community for the project to knowingly use tactics (that the patch submitter touts) is to hack something to work on AMD with a disregard for licensing... Especially when separating houdini.git from mainline would resolve the issue in an amicable way for all.

On Dec 29, 2014 5:50 AM, "Miker" <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well doesn't that also mean you or your company can't draw from that same well?

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On December 28, 2014 10:50:10 PM Christopher Price <ch...@christopherprice.net> wrote:

Even the poster of the patch noted that the intention was for it to support AMD.

I would seriously suggest reviewing platform/vendor/intel/houdini.git before insisting it’s all kosher and legal. I also object to some of Intel’s licensing marks being sanitized from the headers in that tree. All I can say is that this code was not licensed for use on AMD if it came from Intel, certainly.

And Houdini has been present in past builds. It was removed from Lollipop due to the lack of a stable .so if I recall. My emphasis was on ensuring it does not return and is not pulled down post-install.

The only legal-and-legit way to implement is that a user must manually install Houdini separate from the distribution, and only if they are licensed to do so.

It should not be part of Android-x86.org in any way. Including it in the project, poisons the well and prevents companies from contributing, like mine. It also kills the notion that there is a fully-open-source Android distribution for x86 systems (AOSP doesn’t count since it lacks a bootloader aside from fastboot).

Christopher Price
ConsoleOS.com

On Dec 28, 2014, at 5:09 PM, Povilas Staniulis <wdmo...@gmail.com> wrote:

The SSSE3 patch just enables older CPUs without SSSE3  support to execute some SSSE3 instructions. This patch itself has nothing to do with Houdini, except that it enables Houdini to work on CPUs (both Intel and AMD) without SSSE3 support.
There are AMD CPUs which already support SSSE3 (eg. Bulldozer), and should work even without this patch.

This patch has nothing to do with circumventing Houdini's license.

Android x86 does not include any Houdini libs in the final ISO. enable_houdini is just a simple shell script which downloads the libraries and sets up some binfmt_misc rules.

Miker

Dec 29, 2014, 1:58:50 PM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Whatever I'm done with this

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 30, 2014, 1:06:05 AM12/30/14
to Android-x86
Mr. Price, you really made me be mad.
I can stand your ignorant in the discussion,
but I can't stand you continue spreading FUD
to the project.

The houdini.git was totally written by me
and others from the community licensed by GPL.
It's just a hook that nothing to do with intel's code.

I don't believe adding a hook breaks any license.
Let me tell you the truth.
Google has co-worked with Intel and my company
to add all necessary hooks of houdini to android 5.0.
That's called the native bridge mechanism.
According your funny theory, Google must remove
the native bridge mechanism from AOSP.
Otherwise it will hurt the android community
and nobody will contribute to AOSP anymore.
Very very ridiculous.

The reason that lollipop-x86 doesn't support houdini yet
is not because of any technical issue, but just
because of my time.

SO STOP YOUR FUD to the community.
I will definitely ban you forever if you try again.
Please pay more attention to your project.
I think your bakers are also getting mad since
you can't even deliver a workable installer to them yet.
If you really have something to contribute,
submit to AOSP directly.
(though I don't believe you or your "virtual team" have the ability)

Finally, PLEASE STOP POST to the meaningless thread.
I'll kick out anyone who tries to post to the thread again.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
(any technical issue of houdini is still allowed, but
please start another thread)
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org