libhoudini and AMD based cpu not working

Andromalius dex

Apr 4, 2014, 7:40:19 PM4/4/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
it seems that libhoudini.so  does not work with amd based pc's
i was just wondering if there was a way to forse libhoudini to work or a patch for it atleast.

Chih-Wei Huang

Apr 6, 2014, 11:37:41 AM4/6/14
to Android-x86

2014/4/5 上午11:50 於 "Andromalius dex" <cool2...@gmail.com> 寫道:

> it seems that libhoudini.so  does not work with amd based pc's
> i was just wondering if there was a way to forse libhoudini to work or a patch for it atleast.

I don't think so. My MSI W110 tablet (AMD Brazos platform) works well.

fuzzy7k

Apr 7, 2014, 10:57:02 AM4/7/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
It could very well be that Intel has ssse3 support in houdini, so apps that use a certain instructions, which are translated into an ssse3 instructions, fail on older hardware. Since ssse3 was developed by Intel, that age limit would be much older for intel chips.  That's just a guess though.

LSS

Jul 8, 2014, 8:04:49 AM7/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you're right. Actually I've a test environment with an AMD Phenom II X4 955BE which does not have SSSE3, and libhoudini does not work on it.

FYI, according to the wikipedia list, AMD Brazos DOES have SSSE3 so that probably explained why it worked on it.

Something needs to be done to make sure ARM works on most systems capable of running Android-x86... don't know how much progress has been made on the QEMU part...

Christopher Price

Jul 8, 2014, 11:59:26 AM7/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Houdini is proprietary code, owned by Intel. It was never meant to run on AMD systems, and it's not licensed to do so.

Bottom line, don't be surprised that Houdini doesn't work anymore on AMD.

Christopher Price

dscm

Jul 8, 2014, 4:22:55 PM7/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
even more reasons to start using ARM instead of Intel

Somebody

Jul 23, 2014, 11:15:49 AM7/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
It is probably better to stick to running software that is not arm-only. Most applications, of course, don't use native code. In theory, good developers will include both arm and x86 native libraries.

mike r

Jul 24, 2014, 12:50:27 PM7/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

+1

Robert Mazur

Dec 23, 2014, 2:26:51 AM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've made a software emulation for SSSE3 instructions used by libhoudini. Only instructions used by libhoudini from kitkat are emulated.
Patch for kitkat kernel attached.
Tested on AMD Phenom II, works quite well.
Kernel image for tests:
0001-SSSE3-emulation-for-libhoudini.patch

Christopher Price

Dec 23, 2014, 3:13:17 AM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Intel has said quite clearly (and recently) that Houdini is only licensed to work on Intel processors.

Personally I have no problem with Android-x86.org using Houdini if Intel doesn’t - that’s up to Intel. But running Houdini on AMD through hacks is a different matter. While it can be done, it’s clearly illegal to do.

I would strongly discourage using these patches in any production distribution. It would be likely to attract unwanted attention.

P.S. Kudos to cracking the code from a technical standpoint, however.

Christopher Price

<0001-SSSE3-emulation-for-libhoudini.patch>

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 23, 2014, 3:36:24 AM12/23/14
to Android-x86
Thank you for the nice work.
It's useful for CPUs without SSSE3, including Intel's.
Patch applied.
> --

Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

Christopher Price

Dec 23, 2014, 3:38:53 AM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I would encourage you to add an Intel CPU check then. I’m saying this as a friend of the project. Allowing Houdini to run on AMD processors without a license for Houdini is just asking for a takedown letter from a legal department.

I’m speaking for myself on this one, but I’m also speaking out of respect to this project. Hacking around Houdini’s well-stated restrictions is personally I think asking for trouble.

Christopher Price
ConsoleOS.com
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.

pstglia

Dec 23, 2014, 9:41:09 AM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!!! Congrats!

Miker

Dec 23, 2014, 9:43:09 AM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

You know I was gonna bother.  Decided  I'm not.  Go away. Pretty plz.

Mike

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 23, 2014, 9:44:46 AM12/23/14
to android-x86

Is this considered as half-illegal? ....

Anyway, where can I download libhoudini?

bk chaw

Dec 23, 2014, 9:48:46 AM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Awesome work! Thank you

pstglia

Dec 23, 2014, 10:00:39 AM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Anyway, where can I download libhoudini?

Hi, take a look at "/system/bin/enable_houdini"

Christopher Price

Dec 23, 2014, 12:59:17 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Emulating SSE3 calls to bypass a license check is legally questionable. Combining that with an unlicensed distribution of a binary is very much illegal.

I would have far fewer objections if the .iso images on Android-x86.org didn’t include Houdini. But this combines using Houdini on AMD with an unlicensed distribution of Houdini in the .iso binaries available on the homepage.

If my team did this, we’d be sued in a heartbeat.  My team has defied the odds and is shipping to customers, but there’s no way we would get away with doing what has been done here. Community projects that go outlaw, fail.

I don’t say this to be rude, or crass. On the contrary. Android-x86.org is an important part of the ecosystem. But it can’t be important if it goes outlaw.

Android-x86.org should stop shipping Houdini in its .iso distributions if it intends to ship this patch… which it has.

Christopher Price

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.

jdw6

Dec 23, 2014, 1:35:12 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

>I would have far fewer objections....
no one here cares about YOUR objections...

>Community projects that go outlaw, fail.
as do kickstarter projects that are decietful....you proved that...

why is it everywhere anyone can read about your comments on android-x86 you refer to them as  "homebrew/hacks" ????

go blow it out your ear............

Christopher Price

Dec 23, 2014, 1:41:33 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I referred to Android-x86.org as a community project, which it is.

Not sure why you call my team’s work a failure, as every Kickstarter backer can download it right now. But I’m not here to discuss that topic specifically, so it may be more appropriate to continue that conversation in private.

Christopher Price

Miker1029

Dec 23, 2014, 2:37:17 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey don't you have like 5,690 Users that need you yo get Co$sole O$ running on their system?

  1. Matthew Brooks 25 minutes ago

    @Cody, no worries here. As a developer myself I would rarely haggle another unless in jest. Not sure if I still qualify as young (I just turned 34).

    My inquiry was simply just checking in to see if there was going to be an update (news, not code) coming soon. If not, I'm not sweating it. As you stated, I have plenty of other more important things to tend to over the holidays. If there is, cool. Then I have something to play around with while the kids are sleeping.

    I did get my Venue 11 Pro yesterday (FedEx was about 6 hrs late delivering). After I get done updating the firmware, I will try booting Console OS from a USB drive. If it works, or not, I will report back. If I find something to help others, glad I can share. If I find the same problems that others are having, then I'm content just backing up their reports. Either way, I'm only looking to help and provide feedback and have no intentions of adding pressure to the team. I appreciate what they are doing and am backing it as I think it's a "cool" project, and I see a market for it.

    Anyways, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and all that stuff.

    -Matt

  2. Cody about 1 hour ago

    Hey guys, I know it has been slow around here lately, but let's give these guys a little breathing room. This is not a full time business yet. I am sure that the development team members have other priorities, including enjoying time with their families. Let us not put the lesser things in life in front of what is really important. This is where humanity has fallen, allowing ourselves to become null to the good things in which we easily overlook every day. Many of you here are young. We all want to believe that we have "time". You do not know which day will be your last. Today might be the last time you have a chance to say "I love you" to the important people in your life. Today might be the last time you walk out your front door. Today is all we have... Make the best of it.

    Until we get a proper forum for Console OS, there is another site that we can use for the time being.
    XDA-developers.com
    This is an excellent site for all things android development related. Take a look around and you might just learn somethings about android. I am not sure where the proper area would be to open threads for Console OS issues, but most XDA users are very friendly. Maybe someone can message the mods to see if they can create a proper area for us to converse. If you do happen to open a device or issue specific thread, please post a link here for others to see.

    I wish you all a Merry Christmas. May you all have a blessed holiday filled with love and happiness.

  3. Patrick Tam about 21 hours ago

    @Matthew Well you will be waiting for awhile. The screen isn't working for console os on dell venue 11 pro. They posted on Twitter that they will have some updates coming soon. So I guess we have to wait a few more days.

  4. Matthew Brooks 1 day ago

    Any updates? I have a Venue 11 Pro coming in the mail today. I ordered it almost solely based on being able to dual boot Console OS / Windows 8.1. :-)

  5. tim 2 days ago

    Documentation ideas...
    How to use the installer, and some details on how to respond to the questions ie: how to resize, what gummiboot does... how to uninstall and remove all the partitions... how to size your android partition appropriately. ... what other partitions does it create, and what there used for...

  6. Patrick Tam 2 days ago

    Still no update? It's been a week already. I thought they were going to do an announcement.

  7. Fredrik Wengelin 2 days ago

    I have the same question as Francis, running the same Yoga 2 Pro, how to get bigger partitions in order to install Gapps & apps

    also: how to successfully install to a USB3 HD/SSD?? I have tired every which way, but so far failed.

  8. Luis 3 days ago

    same here...the installation did not work..

  9. JR Tichy 4 days ago

    I have tried both img files in the win32DiskImager on multiple flash drives. I have tried on a Gen 1 Surface Pro, a 2013 XPS 13, and an HP Elitebook. Every time I boot it from USB I get No OS found, Missing Operating System, or it just boots into Windows. On both systems I see nothing regarding Secure Boot. Am I doing something wrong?

  10. Meou Meou 5 days ago

    any updates after Monday's all-day-meetings ?

  11. enadj15 5 days ago

    @Cody, agreed. Forums would really be helpful at this point to organize all this info coming from the backers.

  12. Cody 5 days ago

    @MMV I am doing my best not to pester you guys. I know you have a large work load at the moment.
    Are we getting close to having the forums up? I think this is the most important thing on the table right now. Supporters need a place to help one another, taking some stress off your team.
    Help us help you :)

  13. RiceFryer 5 days ago

    I agreed with Griffin.
    HP Stream is most popular cheap windows tablet now, came after vote ended. we really want to support this.

  14. Griffin Bianchi 6 days ago

    Thank you developers for all of your hard work. I was wondering if there is any chance of supporting the HP Stream 7 officially in the future. This cheap little tablet came out after the Kickstarter. Thanks!

  15. Alex Cuttler on December 16

    I am not sure if I'm the only one with this problem, but I only have the option to format my hard drive. I have tried reinstalling windows with the cd multiple times and it is still not letting me dual boot. Any suggestions?

  16. Richard Yiu on December 16

    Installed on my Lenovo Miix 2 11. Here are the list of items that works:

    touch screen
    wifi

    Not working:
    bluetooth
    sound
    auto-rotate

    I wish those can be fixed in the next version.

Christopher Price

Dec 23, 2014, 2:43:31 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This thread is not about Console OS. As I said in my last reply, I’m happy to discuss that offline - efforts to derail this thread by making it about me or my team will be responded to each time similarly. This thread is about Houdini and a licensing issue. Please stop making personal attacks. Thanks.

Christopher Price

Mauro Rossi

Dec 23, 2014, 2:44:41 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would say that this patch belongs to the "emulation" category of software,
huh, and also a potential kernel patch, since kitkat kernel is just a fork of 3.10.x kernel. With proper adjustments/completion it could proposed for mainstreaming to linux kernel too.

In principle the applications of this patch are not strictly related to houdini and they should not be treated exclusively as such.

For example ITX industrial boards may benefit of this software gem, if extended to covers all gaps between non SSSE3  and SSSE3 enabled processors.

I see no change compared to former status of ConsoleOS project, which can deliver his Android images that may work also on extended family of AMD/Intel processors.
Regarding libhoudini, not much time to play, so I don't use it.

M.

Christopher Price

Dec 23, 2014, 2:49:07 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
That would be a fair and fine argument provided that the patch wasn’t specifically posted and submitted for the purpose of getting Houdini to run on AMD. Which it was, explicitly.

Android-x86.org has argued that since Houdini on KitKat runs only on Intel chips, that there isn’t a licensing concern. Fair enough, though I question that. But now we have a patch submitted, and accepted, that touts that it bypasses the licensing issue.

The solution is to not put Houdini from the .iso builds on Android-x86.org and let those who have licensed it add it back in as appropriate.

Christopher Price

pstglia

Dec 23, 2014, 3:00:32 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher, how are you?

Emulating SSE3 calls to bypass a license check is legally questionable. Combining that with an unlicensed distribution of a binary is very much illegal.
I think the SSSE emulation could be used for other processes than libhoundini. Thinking this way it's not a license check bypass, in my opinion.

It's just a guess, but I think Intel would care if a company uses one of it's products with the objective of making money. This is not the case of Android-x86.
Also, they benefit themselves with some of the discovers made by this community, so maybe they just "let it be"
Again, It's just my opinion.

I would have far fewer objections if the .iso images on Android-x86.org didn’t include Houdini. But this combines using Houdini on AMD with an unlicensed distribution of Houdini in the .iso binaries available on the homepage.
Well, in fact, Android-x86 img itself doesn't include libhoudini.It's download when Android-x86 is booted up.

 * * *

How are you dealing with this in your project? Probably you want to run many apps as possible and many of them are ARM-specific. Are you working on a ARM-translator (QEMU binding maybe), or you are thinking of just running x86 contents?

Regards,
pstglia

Mauro Rossi

Dec 23, 2014, 3:04:10 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I jump to a 64 bit build question: can this patch help to let x86_64 iso work on 64 bit AMD processors?
because as we speak x86_64 experimental builds are not compatible with AMD processors.

In your experience what would be the impacts,efforts and best way to go for an AMD compatible 64 bit build?
All experts suggestions accepted, because I'd like to learn about this possibilities

Mauro

Christopher Price

Dec 23, 2014, 3:11:13 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 23, 2014, at 12:00 PM, pstglia <pst...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Christopher, how are you?

Emulating SSE3 calls to bypass a license check is legally questionable. Combining that with an unlicensed distribution of a binary is very much illegal.
I think the SSSE emulation could be used for other processes than libhoundini. Thinking this way it's not a license check bypass, in my opinion.

It's just a guess, but I think Intel would care if a company uses one of it's products with the objective of making money. This is not the case of Android-x86.
Also, they benefit themselves with some of the discovers made by this community, so maybe they just "let it be"
Again, It's just my opinion.

Intel’s latest post of Houdini clearly states you are forbidden from running, facilitating, or distributing Houdini on a system without an Intel processor. I am fairly certain the license also prohibits redistribution even when running on an Intel processor, but we’re well past that point in this thread.

I would have far fewer objections if the .iso images on Android-x86.org didn’t include Houdini. But this combines using Houdini on AMD with an unlicensed distribution of Houdini in the .iso binaries available on the homepage.
Well, in fact, Android-x86 img itself doesn't include libhoudini.It's download when Android-x86 is booted up.

Functionally it’s a distinction without a difference. Android-x86.org is facilitating distribution of the binary either way.

 * * *

How are you dealing with this in your project? Probably you want to run many apps as possible and many of them are ARM-specific. Are you working on a ARM-translator (QEMU binding maybe), or you are thinking of just running x86 contents?

We licensed Houdini from Intel. That’s about all I can say on that subject, other than to re-iterate that these opinions are my own and do not represent my company or other companies (including Intel).

Christopher Price

jdw6

Dec 23, 2014, 5:01:34 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

LOL....you didn't check far enough.....one guy had his system completely wiped out....

Cody on December 5
Word of caution. My install went fine at first, but when I attempted the second install to troubleshoot everyones errors, my Yoga2Pro
has been wiped clean. I no longer have Windows or the backup partition.
And yes, I did select the sd card to install to. The installer is buggy and you run the risk of loosing everything.
Now I have to figure out what I am going to do...

>every Kickstarter backer can download it right now

  ya but what matters is that it works.....anyone with a little knowledge can hack up android-ia and offer
  it up for download for 25 devices......but making it work takes some knowledge not blogger BS....

Miker

Dec 23, 2014, 6:30:25 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

+1

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Miker

Dec 23, 2014, 6:44:06 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Fine this entire forum is for Android x86, not console os or libhoudini so why don't you take it somewhere else...  You know you can make your very own,  Right?

Mike

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Robert Mazur

Dec 23, 2014, 10:17:23 PM12/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I don't know how emulating SSSE3 bypass licence check. SSSE3 is supported on modern Intel, AMD and VIA CPUs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSSE3).
Is it legal to use libhoudini on:
Intel CPU without SSSE3,
non Intel CPU with SSSE3?
Is the licence available somewhere?

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 23, 2014, 11:14:55 PM12/23/14
to android-x86

So ... looks like there is no license check.
They need SSSE3, and will run in any processor that support it, but Intel says it should be run on Intel only. I think it is not a license check.

From my side, I started to look libhoudini like installing hackintosh.

Can we? Yes.
Legal? Of course not.
Should we? (Your answer goes here.)

Also, I got AMD C-60. It works!
I also got ASUS Zenfone 4 and 5 with libhoudini.so inside. it also works. Oh wait .... :-|

Christopher Price

Dec 24, 2014, 1:55:58 AM12/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And that would be more of a fair assessment if the project wasn’t officially distributing it. Houdini should not be automatically installed, offered to install, or anything other than a binary that people can add themselves if they are properly licensed.

The source code for Android-x86.org is not the problem. It’s the compiled builds and distros that auto-install it, now that the source code subverts Intel and runs Houdini on AMD without any prompt.

Removing Houdini from the autoinstaller/offered builds separates Android-x86.org from Houdini and keeps the project operating above the law, rather than clearly below it.

Anyone that knows they are licensed should have no problem installing it themselves via Recovery or root terminal. But you can’t bundle it with the distro on the compiled builds, if you know it will run without prompt on AMD.

Christopher Price

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 24, 2014, 1:58:40 AM12/24/14
to android-x86

/system/bin/enable_houdini used to enable it ...

Am I right?
It is included, but not loaded by default.

Christopher Price

Dec 24, 2014, 2:02:42 AM12/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I have seen plenty of builds that include libhoudini.so, I’m not sure if the very latest android-x86.org builds include it, but some have alongside Google Play.

If I recall, Chih-Wei removed Houdini from the recent Android-x86.org compiled builds because it stopped working with Lollipop. It should not go back in now that there is an AMD exploit added.

Has Intel open-sourced enable_houdini? I’m not sure. If they haven’t, it should be removed.

Christopher Price

jdw6

Dec 24, 2014, 10:58:19 PM12/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
so the   "houdini policeman" has spoken and anyone who defies his
mandate will suffer the wrath  of legalize from  the powers  that be......LOL

who  f$$kin cares.....get a  life....go peddle you sorrowful  wares elsewhere............

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 24, 2014, 11:02:28 PM12/24/14
to android-x86

LOL ...
Actually he is right, but not everything.

I think it should be included, but not enabled by default.
As not everyone cares about license (including me) ...

Message has been deleted

jdw6

Dec 24, 2014, 11:13:59 PM12/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
no he is totally wrong.....

as an individual user I can build and use what ever I want...including houdini......

android-x86 does not include houdini,,,, the user(me) has to install it for it to be valid/downloaded for me....so
they are NOT violating any license and I as an individual user am just that and not violating anything....end of story......

and in addition, they aren't scamming people out of $80000 to be able to use it....maybe he should look in the mirror instead
of trying to justify what he is  doing................which is just scamming people
Message has been deleted

Christopher Price

Dec 24, 2014, 11:39:41 PM12/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Please keep this thread on topic to the issue of Houdini and Android-x86.org

Spamming this thread with a reply that contains nothing but links about a product led by my team is quite ineffective.

jdw6

Dec 24, 2014, 11:42:36 PM12/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

jdw6

Dec 24, 2014, 11:44:04 PM12/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
please take a hike....

jdw6

Dec 24, 2014, 11:46:21 PM12/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
ya "you can't  stand the truth".....

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 24, 2014, 11:48:14 PM12/24/14
to android-x86

LOL.
*grabs some popcorn ...

Christopher Price

Dec 24, 2014, 11:51:10 PM12/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I'm just giving my opinion. I don't own Houdini... but I do take concern when open source projects ignore the rules of the road.

Keeping unlicensed Houdini binaries separate from Android-x86.org installers/postinstalls will keep the project from being in blatant labeled as a gateway for running Houdini on AMD, which will happen now that these commits have been accepted.

So long as the 5.0 Android-x86.org ISOs don't add/readd libhoudini.so - I think enable-houdini is the only lingering concern. That's pretty easy to check on.

jdw6

Dec 25, 2014, 12:05:19 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
>but I do take concern when open source projects ignore the rules of the road.

you only took concern when you wanted to scam people outa money to try and do what android-x86 and
android-is had been doing for a while....

and you failed miserably at that...

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 25, 2014, 12:26:20 AM12/25/14
to android-x86

LOL ....
Hey! Who stole my popcorn?

Brb. Getting some more popcorn.
This thing gets more funny.

jdw6

Dec 25, 2014, 12:29:31 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> so long as the 5.0 Android-x86.org ISOs don't add/readd libhoudini.so

and we'll have houdini working on 5.0 Android-x86 within a month....

jdw6

Dec 25, 2014, 12:31:36 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
good one christopher..

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 25, 2014, 12:38:00 AM12/25/14
to android-x86

Hey I am not christopher!

The first time I saw ConsoleOS, i think it is a great idea, but at some point I think it is impossible.
And now, we got people scamming for ... $79800?

I'm definitely starting my own ConsoleOS.
RinaldOS? Coming soon on Kickstarter. Back it so I can scam all of you :P

jdw6

Dec 25, 2014, 12:44:32 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
why was it a great  idea when android-x86  and android-ia had already done it????

one since  2009 the other since   2012..............

jdw6

Dec 25, 2014, 12:46:43 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
never mind...I get it....so you can scam people outa money....

why not just get a real job????

jdw6

Dec 25, 2014, 12:48:27 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
ok I get it...you have nothing to offer for a real job...

jdw6

Dec 25, 2014, 1:04:30 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I did this stuff for 35+ years....

I know what it takes to get a job done....

I wrote the processor software for the first computer to pbx interface by
Digital Equipment Corporation, 4 2901 bit slice chips...licensed by over
50 different companies.....we integrated with Bell Northern Telecom
to complete the project....DEC CPI32A....

=81x_cuJH1qAUl14fb6iLqv671yU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dqebVPjAI9HesASj4YHYAQ&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=DEC%20CPI32A&f=false

and what your peddling is nothing but a scam

Miker1029

Dec 25, 2014, 1:45:58 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Y'all worried about them posts? You should be they're going to be part of your down fall... .

You've really screwed up now that your backers are branching to XDA. Now we can show them what's really going on...

Your game was to license Houdini and think you could either eliminate it here or get the project shut down... .. Apparently Intel isn't interested and i am sure you tried... That's where your cash is... And I vow right now I'll set something up on Dark Net if I have to but this project is and will be alive and well... Can't imagine how much you paid for licensing but bet it was a chunk.. .. Some advic .. Spend slowly... Very slowl ...

Lol

Christopher Price

Dec 25, 2014, 2:33:00 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

There is no point in continuing a conversation with you. You have misrepresented my teams work, in an apparent effort to change the topic.

To correct the misinformation, thousands of Kickstarter backers have already installed Console OS. It would be inappropriate to discuss that further, as this thread is about Houdini and Android-x86.org.

I will not be silenced by walls of abusive posts that are personally attacking me and the off topic work of my team. Let's keep this thread on topic to Houdini and Android-x86.org.

Mike Ross

Dec 25, 2014, 2:38:06 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 24, 2014 10:46 PM, "Miker1029" <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
Y'all worried about them posts?   You should be they're going to be part of your down fall... .

You've really screwed up now that your backers are branching to XDA. Now we can show them what's really going on...

Your game was to license Houdini and think you could either eliminate it here or get the project shut down... .. Apparently Intel isn't interested and i am sure you tried... That's where your cash is...  And I vow right now I'll set something up on Dark Net if I have to but this project is and will be alive and well...   Can't  imagine how much you paid for licensing but bet it was a chunk.. ..  Some advic .. Spend slowly...  Very slowl ...

Lol
Then Take Your Illegal Houdini Crap Out of here, Go Do Something else, But Why your preaching here I don't get your not going to get anywhere....

And for YOUR INFO, I'm Sure Android-X86 .ISO's or on A lot more then "A Few Thousand" Computers.....And NO One Had to pay for it before you came around....

Miker1029

Dec 25, 2014, 2:43:07 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
AND You were here LONG BEFORE you started Con$ole O$,  And YOU Used Houdini, ILLEGALLY!   NOW It's a Whole Different story! Huh?

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 25, 2014, 2:43:40 AM12/25/14
to android-x86

This. The best conclusion.
Now get the f**k out of here.

Mike Ross

Dec 25, 2014, 2:44:33 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On 12/25/2014 1:43 AM, Rinaldo Jonathan wrote:

This. The best conclusion.
Now get the f**k out of here.

25 Des 2014 14.38, "Mike Ross" <mike...@gmail.com> menulis:
[...]

Miker1029

Dec 25, 2014, 2:51:10 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Look What I Happened to Stumble Upon,  This Might Make Some Interesting Reading.....

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!starred/android-x86/Yg746eJMAyI

Miker1029

Dec 25, 2014, 2:58:27 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Cut & Paste From The Above Thread....
fgdn17
8/31/13
Hey been following this thread and am trying to understand the outcry on copyright after 4-5 years.....

then I looked at the threads and realized maybe things aren't as we perceive.....

1) isn't it interesting that on aug 20 there was an announcement in these forums
   on a new Android-x86 powered Gaming Console by Chih-Wei.....

2) someone referencing iconsole.tv(a android powered gaming console) bantered back and forth in that thread with a developer from
   that team for a while......

3) 2 days later that same someone from that thread started a new thread on Serious Legal Concerns About Android-x86.org Builds
         (is this is what's meant by divide and conquer???)

4) within a day the "leader" of the iconsole.tv team started hammering the thread....and still keeps hammering it eight days later!?

5) I feel a lot of people looking for technical information on android-x86 may be getting turned-off when the
   administrators allow a thread like this to remain open..........this thread should be closed before Mr. Price and his
   "team" are allowed to do more possible damage to this open source product because of their own vested interest.....

Christopher Price

Dec 25, 2014, 4:12:15 AM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Several people have objected to Houdini’s inclusion in the past. The attempt to get to run on AMD, as stated in the patch submission, strengthens the position of several people that have objected in the past.

I will not be shouted down, especially with vulgar language. Your use of it only strengthens my position on this matter.

I will say that there are many great contributors to Android-x86.org, and I appreciate that those actually contributing to the ecosystem are not participating in this kind of crass behavior.

Christopher Price

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 25, 2014, 4:25:45 AM12/25/14
to android-x86

Well, I used to support everything that android, but now here goes the list I hate.

1. samsung. Totally overpriced.
2. Bluestacks for their premium ppan (but they changed their mind, so ...yeah.)
3. Mediatek for not releasing source code for my ZTE N986.
4. You with those ConsoleOS bullshit.

Miker1029

Dec 25, 2014, 3:06:14 PM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Listen, Chris, If I May Call You Chris,  It's not All About that, People are mad, And Have Been Mad At You For Awhile,  Because You come here, To Actively Hinder the Project, And You Have For Alot of Years, And We Know These Things, and we,  Are trying to make it Apparent to everyone else,   Alls I ever asked is keep this crap on your Site, Or wherever, But not here, Your Intentions are very obvious, And If they Aren't then I'm Wrong, But I, For One, Will NOT STOP Using Houdini or Play Store Or google+, And YOU CAN'T Make Me...Or Anyone Else, So What Exactly Is your Point Of Being Here???

The Man Who Started this Isn't Acknowledging You, And I would Imagine he Would have to be the ONE!  So Go Away, As I Said Before,  You Have a BUNCH of People to Satisfy Before you Can come here and Shut this Project Down....

And Don't Hit me With "NO, I Appreciate Android.org", I Have No Doubt, Cause if it wasn't for the DEVS here You'd Be Up a Creek......

My Opinion, Others May Vary, And Probably WILL!

Mike

Miker1029

Dec 25, 2014, 3:10:47 PM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And this Is a Simple Search Haven't Read them All but might give some insight....

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/Chris$20Price

Mike

Christopher Price

Dec 25, 2014, 4:00:17 PM12/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
In no way am I trying to “shut this project down” - please stop with baseless, off-topic accusations. Thanks.

Christopher Price

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 25, 2014, 4:02:59 PM12/25/14
to android-x86

Damn son. You are crazy.

Admin needs to kick this man.

Miker1029

Dec 27, 2014, 11:41:30 PM12/27/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ok Well You Aren't Helping Either....

Mike

jdw6

Dec 28, 2014, 12:13:16 AM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
sure he is...he's helping scam those 5700 people who believed his BS....

Marius Cirsta

Dec 28, 2014, 7:22:45 AM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
 Thanks, I have an AM Phenom II X6 CPU which is a very good CPU but when I installed Android-x86 I notices that even though libhoudini was installed nothing that needed ARM emulation actually worked. Didn't realize why at first but then I found this and I installed the special kernel for AMD.
 Now Skype works and everything seems OK. Thanks to all who helped.

 Oh and regarding the license and legality of the matter I'm not sure why people who don't hold the license to libhoudiny  ( like our Chris here ) are complaining so much.

I do find it that some Americans are somehow trained to be copyright zealots, oh we need a license for that and gee but what if it's not allowed by the license. If and when Intel sues Android-x86 then it's a problem. Till then all's fine and people expect things to just work. I was happy when it worked and I really don't give a f... about licenses and all that.

Fajar A. Nugraha

Dec 28, 2014, 5:46:01 PM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM, Marius Cirsta <mfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
 Oh and regarding the license and legality of the matter I'm not sure why people who don't hold the license to libhoudiny  ( like our Chris here ) are complaining so much.

I do find it that some Americans are somehow trained to be copyright zealots, oh we need a license for that and gee but what if it's not allowed by the license. If and when Intel sues Android-x86 then it's a problem. Till then all's fine and people expect things to just work. I was happy when it worked and I really don't give a f... about licenses and all that.

Looking at google vs cyanogenmod wrt gapps, IMHO it's best to have legal issues in mind from the start.

The end solution is simple-enough for end users, without having to risk a law suit

--
Fajar

Miker1029

Dec 28, 2014, 5:58:48 PM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I think that Pretty Much Sums It up, Good Work!

Mike

Christopher Price

Dec 28, 2014, 6:46:20 PM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Several times in our development path, we were able to cite that Android-x86.org was the open-source alternative that complied with the rules, and obeyed the law. It allowed us to license the tools we needed to make a commercial offering.

If Android-x86.org loses that legitimacy, it hurts the efforts of others in the commercial space, because now there is no fully-open-source alternative to fall back on that complies with the law. That’s why it matters.

It is not in the interest of this project to become known industry-wide as a project that nobody can use commercially, because it is tainted with not just unlicensed code, but hacks that circumvent unlicensed code.

To those that compare this to the CyanogenMod controversy, there was a resolution struck there. CyanogenMod removed the offending binaries from their distribution, and allowed users to install them a la carte if they felt they were legitimately licensed. All I have posited here, is that a similar situation be employed, which is to remove libhoudini.so, and enable_houdini, from the Android-x86.org distribution (ISO and auto-installer). Then users can add those back if they are legitimately licensed.

This is precisely the same path CyangenMod took when it encountered this problem. Also, when CyanogenMod was in violation of the Google Play rules, it began sideloading its installer from its own web site. Nobody stopped using CyanogenMod because of these changes. Similarly, it’s unlikely anyone using Android-x86.org would stop using this project because of these changes.

These proposed changes would, however, allow Android-x86.org to stay legit, and allow for people to cite it as the open-source standard that allows companies like mine to innovate, and in 2015, contribute to the project in a collaborative manner. We cannot work with projects that go outlaw, and flagrantly disregard the licensing of projects… or attack in a shill manner those that bring these matters to dialogue about in a peaceful way.

Those that attack and use slurs, curse words, and other insults to attack people for discussing this matter, should be prohibited from posting after being warned.

Christopher Price

Miker1029

Dec 28, 2014, 7:11:59 PM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And On that Mr. Price,  I do believe would be an Acceptable Outcome, I'm Sure Someone, Somewhere, Could figure a way to get it into the System Without it being directly released (Or Facilitated) by The Project, That's what CM did, Even If they didn't lay claim to making the GAPPS Packages....In the end that sounds like a solution everyone could live with...But again Just my opinion....

Mike

Povilas Staniulis

Dec 28, 2014, 8:09:42 PM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The SSSE3 patch just enables older CPUs without SSSE3  support to execute some SSSE3 instructions. This patch itself has nothing to do with Houdini, except that it enables Houdini to work on CPUs (both Intel and AMD) without SSSE3 support.
There are AMD CPUs which already support SSSE3 (eg. Bulldozer), and should work even without this patch.

This patch has nothing to do with circumventing Houdini's license.

Android x86 does not include any Houdini libs in the final ISO. enable_houdini is just a simple shell script which downloads the libraries and sets up some binfmt_misc rules.

Miker1029

Dec 28, 2014, 10:11:05 PM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And your statement here. Got me curious about CM. Seems they're still using Houdini....

Christopher Price

Dec 28, 2014, 10:19:57 PM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
CyanogenMod only targets ARM devices currently, it has never used Houdini.

There is no need for Houdini on ARM devices, as it dynamically translates ARM NDK code into x86 NDK code. It is only useful on x86 processors.

Christopher Price

On Dec 28, 2014, at 7:11 PM, Miker1029 <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

And your statement here.  Got me curious about CM.  Seems they're still using Houdini....

Christopher Price

Dec 28, 2014, 11:50:14 PM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Even the poster of the patch noted that the intention was for it to support AMD.

I would seriously suggest reviewing platform/vendor/intel/houdini.git before insisting it’s all kosher and legal. I also object to some of Intel’s licensing marks being sanitized from the headers in that tree. All I can say is that this code was not licensed for use on AMD if it came from Intel, certainly.

And Houdini has been present in past builds. It was removed from Lollipop due to the lack of a stable .so if I recall. My emphasis was on ensuring it does not return and is not pulled down post-install.

The only legal-and-legit way to implement is that a user must manually install Houdini separate from the distribution, and only if they are licensed to do so.

It should not be part of Android-x86.org in any way. Including it in the project, poisons the well and prevents companies from contributing, like mine. It also kills the notion that there is a fully-open-source Android distribution for x86 systems (AOSP doesn’t count since it lacks a bootloader aside from fastboot).

Christopher Price

manuel doscientos

Dec 29, 2014, 1:58:59 AM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
time to sue AMI duOS-M then,they provide a way to iinstall gapps and it works with AMD with houdini enabled.....

Christopher Price

Dec 29, 2014, 2:39:03 AM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hate to break it to you, but AMI told me they licensed Houdini from Intel.

Google is now licensing Google Play to select Android VMs (AMI and Bluestacks).

Christopher Price

On Dec 28, 2014, at 10:58 PM, manuel doscientos <sa2...@gmail.com> wrote:

time to sue AMI duOS-M then,they provide a way to iinstall gapps and it works with AMD with houdini enabled.....

manuel doscientos

Dec 29, 2014, 2:59:31 AM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
so,they licenced Intel's houdini to be used on AMD hardware? im going to quote you:

Intel’s latest post of Houdini clearly states you are forbidden from running, facilitating, or distributing Houdini on a system without an Intel processor.

im running duOS-M on win 8.1 pro with an AMD a4-4000.

runs very well btw.

Rinaldo Jonathan

Dec 29, 2014, 3:10:44 AM12/29/14
to android-x86

*grabs another popcorn ....

Seriously, stop it Chris.

Christopher Price

Dec 29, 2014, 3:11:35 AM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What I said was you are prohibited. That is in the licensing to end-users. I have no idea what terms AMI negotiated and it’s not my place to.

Christopher Price

Miker

Dec 29, 2014, 8:50:23 AM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Well doesn't that also mean you or your company can't draw from that same well?

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Miker

Dec 29, 2014, 8:55:55 AM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Stupid me I should have saved the link.  But I know off the top of my head they support  nexus and if memory serves that's and x86 CPU.  I'll remember check and post a link when at my computer..

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Fajar A. Nugraha

Dec 29, 2014, 9:05:54 AM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

The only nexus device with x86 is nexus player. AFAIK CM doesn't run on that

Miker1029

Dec 29, 2014, 10:11:53 AM12/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ya My Bad, You are correct, But their are CM Unofficial Releases for X86 Architecture, So the point a was running at was, Why I don't see XDA, Of ALL PLACES, Shutting down these Threads/Links to "Illegal" Products, Or Why No ONE (Ahem), Is all over them about using Houdini???

Mike
Android - X86 Forums
This conversation is locked