Re: Android on windows 8 dell xps 12 convetible

Trey Allen

Jan 26, 2013, 4:56:20 PM1/26/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Using the Duo image..

I played around a bit more and was able to get past the black-screen boot by adding "nomodeset" to the GRUB entry, but since there's no way inside the Android-x86 OS to change the resolution, this doesn't help much. I've been unsuccessful at finding a Versa VGA mode that will let you run 1920x1080 .. I tried "vga=ask", and have tried that resolution at all different color depths, but nothing works.

Additionally, even when you can get Android to finish booting and display anything at all, I've noticed a few other problems:
1. The touch screen doesn't seem to work at all
2. There seem to be issues with the accelerometer being read properly, as the display is constantly rotating unless you've got your laptop sitting on a table. If you can manage to make it to the display settings, you can turn off rotation, which fixes that issue ..
3. No wifi .. doesn't work at all

I assume all of these issues are due to hardware/driver differences between the XPS12 and the Duo, but I'm afraid I don't have the Linux-fu to be able to figure out how to build an Android image with the necessary drivers for the XPS12. If someone could help me walk through the process or point me at a good tutorial for how to do this, I'm confident I can figure it out and would be happy to bash my head against it some more and hopefully put something together.

dscm

Jan 26, 2013, 6:16:55 PM1/26/13
to Android-x86

Trey Allen

Jan 26, 2013, 8:10:17 PM1/26/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, dscm! The second link worked for me. The ISO in the first link you provided for some reason wouldn't display any video, no matter what grub options I added.

The "PREVIEW" ISO from tabletsx86.org works flawlessly, though! Booted with just the 'default' grub entry, with no modifications and everything seems to work perfectly out-of-the-box! Wifi works .. touch screen works .. seems to be deplaying 1920x1080 natively. Beautiful! Thanks so much!

dscm

Jan 26, 2013, 9:44:47 PM1/26/13
to Android-x86
the first link is android-x86.org's initial release of Android Jelly
Bean...(AOSP 4.2)

the second is simply a build of their latest release as it is still an
ongoing development by them...

glad it worked for you...I'm sure within the next couple months they
will be releasing newer
iso's with more features.......

On Jan 26, 8:10 pm, Trey Allen <trey.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, dscm! The second link worked for me. The ISO in the first link you
> provided for some reason wouldn't display any video, no matter what grub
> options I added.
>
> The "PREVIEW" ISO from tabletsx86.org works flawlessly, though! Booted with
> just the 'default' grub entry, with no modifications and everything seems
> to work perfectly out-of-the-box! Wifi works .. touch screen works .. seems
> to be deplaying 1920x1080 natively. Beautiful! Thanks so much!
>

> On Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:16:55 PM UTC-6, dscm wrote:
>
> > have you tried the latest release??? here:
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/detail?name=android-x8...

Trey Allen

Jan 26, 2013, 10:06:41 PM1/26/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yeah.. I'm finding that it's unfortunately a really stripped down version.. no Google Play store, Terminal Emulator doesn't work .. I'm trying to find an APK for an SSH server, so I could maybe have a shot at installing Google Services, but not having much luck. Hitting a lot of dead links and the APKs I am finding just get hung up or don't work at all. Sadly, this is the only ISO I've found so far that actually runs with full functionality and no hassle. Just can't do much with it :( Will keep workin at it, though. Appreciate the help.

Igor V

Jan 27, 2013, 8:30:38 AM1/27/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I successfully installed Google Play on jb-4.2 using the following instructions:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2069329

Just two points to notice:
1. Android-x86 must be installed on write-enabled file system (in order to be able to copy necessary files into system folder).
2. You don't need File Manager to copy files - just enter text-based terminal mode by pressing Alt + F1

Any way this jb-x86 version is in very early stage so most of apps from google play don't work (but can be installed).

Trey Allen

Jan 27, 2013, 10:33:31 AM1/27/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yeah.. I shoulda figured that Alt+F1 would have worked, like a normal Linux-based OS. Thanks for the additional info, Igor. I did happen to come across the same thread last night while searching around, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. And yeah.. I kinda figured that might be the case w/ many apps not working after seeing some other threads in this group .. and realizing that x86 != ARM. Still.. it's pretty exciting to see this much progress already. I look forward to continuing to track how the project progresses.

Christopher Price

Apr 15, 2013, 4:53:55 AM4/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
If you have an XPS 12, I would suggest trying Android-IA. Android-IA targets the XPS 12's hardware set specifically with formal support and Windows 8 UEFI dual-booting.

I haven't tested Android-IA on the 12 myself, but it should work unless you have a Broadcomm Wi-Fi chip installed.

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:47:15 PM UTC-7, Miklosch Sander wrote:
Hi everyone, just got my XPS 12 and am working on getting Android installed on it. Can someone tell me the best method to get the ISO Image onto a USB drive to boot the XPS? I grabbed the ISO from Android x86, I just wasn't sure what you all were using to get it onto a USB drive...thanks!

Miklosch Sander

Apr 15, 2013, 1:33:05 PM4/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris, I'll give that a shot. How do I put the image onto a USB stick, since the XPS 12 has no optical drive?

Christopher Price

Apr 15, 2013, 1:38:30 PM4/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
My personal method is booting into Ubuntu or Mac, I can understand that you may not want to go through all that.

If I were you I would give Win32 Image Writer a shot, but I haven't tested it with Android-IA: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

Christopher Price

On Apr 15, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Miklosch Sander <m...@sanderfamily.net> wrote:

Thanks Chris, I'll give that a shot. How do I put the image onto a USB stick, since the XPS 12 has no optical drive?

Miklosch Sander

Apr 15, 2013, 1:51:31 PM4/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I've used Win32 Disk Imager in the past, but it only looks for .IMG files, not ISO's. I could try renaming it to IMG? I don't mind booting into Ubuntu to do it, but it seems like there should be a way in Windows to do it.

Christopher Price

Apr 15, 2013, 1:56:19 PM4/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Android-IA, if I recall correctly, is a .img not a .iso.

Android-x86 is an .iso, in which case you can use uNetbootin probably.

In ubuntu it's just a standard "sudo dd if of" command either way - google can help you there with the right syntax.

Christopher Price

On Apr 15, 2013, at 10:51 AM, Miklosch Sander <m...@sanderfamily.net> wrote:

Yeah, I've used Win32 Disk Imager in the past, but it only looks for .IMG files, not ISO's. I could try renaming it to IMG? I don't mind booting into Ubuntu to do it, but it seems like there should be a way in Windows to do it.

Miklosch Sander

Apr 15, 2013, 2:04:11 PM4/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Just downloaded IA, and it IS an IMG file :-)

Thanks for the help Chris, I'll give it a shot tonight and report back.

Miklosch Sander

Apr 16, 2013, 12:28:03 AM4/16/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Alright, I downloaded the IA version and got it onto a bootable drive. I booted into the live version of Android, and everything looks great! When I go to instal it though, it seems to only give me the option to erase my whole drive and install. Isn't there a way to dual boot this? It simply says "ALL data will be erased if you proceed". Anyone else successfully got this dual booting?

Christopher Price

Apr 16, 2013, 2:28:35 AM4/16/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You need to make an empty partition at the end of the drive. Go into Disk Management inside Windows 8 and shrink your C: drive's partition to create an empty space... at least 8 GB should do the trick. Then re-boot into the Android-IA flash drive and try again.

Christopher Price

On Apr 15, 2013, at 9:28 PM, Miklosch Sander <m...@sanderfamily.net> wrote:

Alright, I downloaded the IA version and got it onto a bootable drive. I booted into the live version of Android, and everything looks great! When I go to instal it though, it seems to only give me the option to erase my whole drive and install. Isn't there a way to dual boot this? It simply says "ALL data will be erased if you proceed". Anyone else successfully got this dual booting?

Miklosch Sander

Apr 19, 2013, 12:35:32 AM4/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher, I finally had a chance to try this. I created an empty space at the end of the disk, but it still only gave me the option to erase the whole disk. I even tried putting the empty space at the front of the drive, no dice. Even when formatted, same thing. All it ever does is tell me it's going to erase the whole disk. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Christopher Price

Apr 19, 2013, 1:54:44 AM4/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I believe the empty space needs to be at the bottom of the drive, not the top.

Christopher Price

On Apr 18, 2013, at 9:35 PM, Miklosch Sander <m...@sanderfamily.net> wrote:

Hi Christopher, I finally had a chance to try this. I created an empty space at the end of the disk, but it still only gave me the option to erase the whole disk. I even tried putting the empty space at the front of the drive, no dice. Even when formatted, same thing. All it ever does is tell me it's going to erase the whole disk. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Miklosch Sander

Apr 19, 2013, 11:03:02 PM4/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the continued help Chris. I've tried both ways. Space at the end of the drive, space at the beginning of the drive. Tried with it formatted, and as unallocated space. Doesn't seem to matter. Any other ideas? Should the 8GB be formatted a specific way, unallocated, or RAW?

Christopher Price

Apr 19, 2013, 11:25:59 PM4/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
It should be unallocated space, for Android-IA to repartition the drive there should only be the GPT partition at the top of the drive, and then Windows.

Just guessing, it may be that the XPS 12 has a recovery partition that is getting in the way, so I would invoke the Windows Recovery Drive maker and dump that to a USB flash drive... then try removing that partition.

After that, hard to say. My next step would be to zero-sector the drive and do a clean install of Windows 8 from a non-Dell source (retail media) and try again.

You might want to post on the Android-IA list at 01.org as Intel has been pretty helpful of individuals who run into trouble. EFI booting is very new, there has only been one maintenance release thus far.

Christopher Price

On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:03 PM, Miklosch Sander <m...@sanderfamily.net> wrote:

Thanks for the continued help Chris. I've tried both ways. Space at the end of the drive, space at the beginning of the drive. Tried with it formatted, and as unallocated space. Doesn't seem to matter. Any other ideas? Should the 8GB be formatted a specific way, unallocated, or RAW?

Miklosch Sander

Apr 20, 2013, 12:00:10 AM4/20/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris. I'd already deleted all the partitions, including the recovery partition. I also had installed windows from clean retail media. I've sent a message to the 01 message board seeking help, hopefully someone else will have an idea. I've attached a copy of the install screen I'm seeing, which only allows me to erase the whole disk.
Screenshot.jpg
Message has been deleted

Garrett Simpson

Aug 5, 2013, 1:07:58 AM8/5/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
hey guys, I got a Dell XPS 12 as well, but one of the ones with the new Haswell chips that give you longer batter life...i7...any progress on this/ tutorials?

On Monday, April 22, 2013 10:43:50 AM UTC-4, tabletsx86 wrote:
have successfully dual-booted this with windows 8.....

shrinking your c drive as Chris said(about 8-10GB) should work fine.....

you are selecting interactive installer....?????

full screen shot of results when selecting interactive installer available???

Michael Leal

Aug 16, 2013, 1:12:45 PM8/16/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Haswell chips are not supported yet by Android-IA. I too have an new XPS 12

James Brako-McComb

Aug 23, 2013, 8:42:39 PM8/23/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I tried all the versions of android made for similar laptops (I have one with haswell) and I get no touch and no wifi. Sometimes mouse. Id LOVE it if I could dual boot successfully.