Sony's runtime resource overlay in Android L

Jignesh Shah

Oct 10, 2014, 8:15:24 AM10/10/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Sony's Runtime Resource Overlay (RRO) contribution to Android is very interesting indeed and opens up a whole lot of possibilities for developers.
Is Google planning on shipping the latest flavor of Android with the RRO built in? Or are plans shelved for the time being?

Regards,
Jignesh. Shah

Kaisa

Nov 5, 2014, 9:08:50 PM11/5/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Shah:
    It seems this RRO is included in source code of L.
    You can see the modification in aapt/pms and so on.

BR
BIn.

Sam Chiu

Nov 5, 2014, 11:20:44 PM11/5/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

May I know how will Google Play accept the extra overlay.apk if developer want to provide it?

Jacky Alciné

Nov 6, 2014, 12:11:07 AM11/6/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Is the APK signed?
If so, definitely.

Sam Chiu

Nov 6, 2014, 1:44:56 AM11/6/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thank.
It really help me a lot!

btw, could we provide multiple overlay target in a single overlay apk?
For example,could I declare are two target in AndroidManifst.xml :
<overlay target=“com.android.example.rrotarget1”/>
<overlay target=“com.android.example.rrotarget2”/>

Yang Bin

Nov 6, 2014, 10:19:55 AM11/6/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I think so.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "android-platform" group.

Tim

Nov 24, 2014, 5:25:14 AM11/24/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I think no, there should be only one "<overlay/>" node allowed.

Cheers, Tim

Yang Bin

Feb 12, 2015, 1:23:11 PM2/12/15
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Confused, it seems this feature does not work.
Anyone who has tested the overlay feature in L ?

Zoran Jovanovic

Feb 16, 2015, 9:16:53 AM2/16/15
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

If commit messages and code are not enough, have a look at this web page that describes in detail how resource management works and how runtime resource overlay extends it: http://developer.sonymobile.com/2014/04/22/sony-contributes-runtime-resource-overlay-framework-to-android-code-example/

Best regards
Zoran Jovanovic
Software Architect
Sony Mobile