ALT.NET Story Night V2017.1 Site and Registration ARE OPEN!

Shay Friedman

Jan 30, 2017, 2:17:53 AM1/30/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Hi incredible geeks!

I'm happy to announce that the site and registration for the upcoming ALT.NET Night are open!!!

Go and register! And tell your friends! and mom! and dad! and grandma and grandpa! Tell everybody!!!

See you next Tuesday!
Shay.
-------------------------
Shay Friedman | Co-Founder and CTO @ Pickspace

omri fima

Jan 30, 2017, 7:50:58 AM1/30/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
wow! that was..... i didn't expect that.

CGA heart attack.

ארנן מייסלס

Jan 30, 2017, 8:27:27 AM1/30/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Amazing design.
Even in front the boss....
--
ארנן מייסלס

050-7268150

Uri Goldstein

Jan 31, 2017, 9:51:15 AM1/31/17
to altnetisrael
It is beautiful!

Shay Friedman

Feb 5, 2017, 2:24:14 AM2/5/17
to altnetisrael
This Tuesday!!!

If you haven't registered yet, please do! http://altnet.azurewebsites.net

See you there,
Shay.

Shay Friedman

Feb 8, 2017, 9:01:57 AM2/8/17
to altnetisrael
Thanks all for coming yesterday! And thanks to Alon and Citi Innovation Labs for hosting us <3 <3 <3

I'm attaching my presentation, for your enjoyment :)

See you in two months!
Shay.
Shay Friedman - The Red Color Map Web.pdf

Ken Egozi

Feb 8, 2017, 12:57:36 PM2/8/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Shay for sharing!

1. You list "Azure" under the good but was all of it good?
Websites (app services) / ServiceBus / Storage Queues (did you use them?)

2. why did you not take advantage of azure WebJobs (instead of backgrounder?) would you if you were to do a similar project in the future?

3. why is "no DB" under the bad? what were the problems (I did not attend the talk so I missed any verbal details)

Lior Friedman

Feb 9, 2017, 1:48:36 AM2/9/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
I can answer about 3.

It used a simple json file which was loaded into memory at startup.
So every change in the Data required a reboot of the system.

and it kind of sucks to do that in the middle of live active alarms...

Ken Egozi

Feb 9, 2017, 7:15:04 AM2/9/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
There are some simple solutions to re-reading files that would not require restart nor a DBMS

Shay Friedman

Feb 12, 2017, 1:05:14 AM2/12/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
So... first of all the constraints for this project were pretty unusual - I didn't have time to work on it but had to respond fast because people actually relied on this site (which is crazy! why would you do that??).
Anyway:
1. I used Azure web app, azure queues and servicebus - these were amazingly helpful and allowed me to scale up in a manner of a couple of hours (most of it was adjusting my code for scalability). It would've been much much much more complicated if I had to install and configure it all by myself.
So Azure proved very handy and also ended up costing me $14 total... The only problem started when Pikud HaOref blocked their API to all IPs from outside Israel... Then I had to find "creative" solutions to workaround it.

2. I had heard about WebJobs before but decided I didn't want to learn a new thing for that manner at that time. WebBackgrounder worked great and did exactly what I needed from it so I'm pretty happy with that decision.

3. At the beginning I had to change the Area DB all the time and this caused me lots of trouble, especially alerts being missed. So a solutions that's "always on" would have been a much better fit. In addition, after a while I wanted to add more data about each area but eventually decided not to because I didn't want to start writing back to a text file and didn't have the time to migrate to a DB...

Ken Egozi

Feb 12, 2017, 1:37:14 AM2/12/17
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Super, thanks for the context