Chain saw brand

Meanie

May 7, 2012, 7:20:31 PM5/7/12
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

Thank you

Steve B

May 7, 2012, 7:36:47 PM5/7/12

"Meanie" <M...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:jo9lc3$avf$1...@dont-email.me...
> I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
> look for.
>
> Thank you

Stihl first, Husqvarna second. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and
don't even think about anything else. Buy a good one, and don't worry about
another for ten or twenty years.

Yes, I know, people will write in after this and tell glorious stories of
their Mac and Echo and Poulans that lasted generations. And then there's
all the ones in the landfill that people don't talk about.

Look at features before you buy, and buy according to what you will use it
for. Engine size, bar size, etc.

Steve

Doug Miller

May 7, 2012, 8:31:24 PM5/7/12
"Meanie" <M...@gmail.com> wrote in news:jo9lc3$avf$1...@dont-email.me:

> I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
> look for.

It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without knowing how much you
are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.

Harry K

May 7, 2012, 11:34:40 PM5/7/12
Stick with the major brands, Stihl, Husky. Echo is comin along. Do
not buy
any saw that was sold in the 'big box stores'. Those are all cheap
pieces of junk no matter what the brand name.

Best will be a professional grade saw that has a dealer near you as
you _will) be taking it in occasionally.

Harry K.

Steve Barker

May 7, 2012, 11:52:37 PM5/7/12
there is no "S" on brands in this question. There is only ONE brand of
chainsaw. STIHL. the rest are toys.

www.stihlusa.com

--
Steve Barker

tange...@toyotamail.com

May 8, 2012, 12:11:50 AM5/8/12
On Mon, 7 May 2012 16:36:47 -0700, "Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Stihl first, Husqvarna second. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and
>don't even think about anything else. Buy a good one, and don't worry about
>another for ten or twenty years.

I agree with these brands being the best, but Echo are also very good.
Whatever you do, do not buy a Homelite. They were always the worst.

Harry Johnson

May 8, 2012, 5:51:23 AM5/8/12
On 5/7/2012 11:52 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
> On 5/7/2012 6:20 PM, Meanie wrote:
>> I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good
>> brands to
>> look for.
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> there is no "S" on brands in this question. There is only ONE brand of
> chainsaw. STIHL. the rest are toys.
>
> www.stihlusa.com

+1

Doug Miller

May 8, 2012, 8:13:40 AM5/8/12
Steve Barker <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in news:4
_mdnfQasqENBTXSn...@giganews.com:

> On 5/7/2012 6:20 PM, Meanie wrote:
>> I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
>> look for.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> there is no "S" on brands in this question. There is only ONE brand of
> chainsaw. STIHL. the rest are toys.

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None of you have any idea
what the guy wants a chain saw for, and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must
have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

If he heats with wood, and will be using the saw for six hours every weekend cutting
firewood, then, yes, he probably needs a Stihl.

If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a year, *any* chain
saw will do _just_fine_.

Vinny From NYC

May 8, 2012, 8:41:43 AM5/8/12

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324216/

>and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must
>have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

wrong

Steve Barker

May 8, 2012, 8:46:54 AM5/8/12
yeah, _IF_ it'll start when he needs it. And _IF_ the chain doesn't
break and slap the shit out of his arm. and and and.....

Frank

May 8, 2012, 8:57:23 AM5/8/12
That was me, and I bought a Poulan which worked well until oil pump
failed and I had repaired under warranty. It only had a few hours on
it. Now to start it, I have to tape the trigger down as the trigger
lock is broken. My son bought one and it quit working after only a
couple of hours use.

I will never buy another chain saw advertised for occasional use and the
Poulan brand is on my s-list.

HeyBub

May 8, 2012, 9:01:48 AM5/8/12
And the view of someone from New York City on chainsaws is meaningful?

Stormin Mormon

May 8, 2012, 8:59:29 AM5/8/12
You know, that's very thoughtful. Over the years, I've owned six or seven
saws. Light duty, occasional home owner use. The one I have the most success
is a rebuilt Homelite, I bought years ago.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Harry K

May 8, 2012, 10:02:54 AM5/8/12
On May 8, 5:57 am, Frank <frankperiodlogu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 5/8/2012 8:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
>

> > Steve Barker<ichasetra...@notgmail.com>  wrote in news:4
> > _mdnfQasqENBTXSnZ2dnUVZ_qedn...@giganews.com:
My experience with the big box saws is limited to one. My neighbor
bought one and asked me to show him how to set it up and use.

1. Would not run. Start on choke jusst fine and die as soon as it
was taken off choke.
2. Broke the chainbrake (cheap thin plastic) handle just setting it
down crooked.

Saw went back to the store the next day and never cut even a sliver.

Harry K

Harry K

May 8, 2012, 9:58:15 AM5/8/12
On May 8, 5:59 am, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung61***spambl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> You know, that's very thoughtful. Over the years, I've owned six or seven
> saws. Light duty, occasional home owner use. The one I have the most success
> is a rebuilt Homelite, I bought years ago.
>
> Christopher A. Young
> Learn more about Jesus
>  www.lds.org
> .
>
> "Doug Miller" <doug_at_milmac_dot_...@example.com> wrote in message
> > I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
> > look for.
>
> It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without
> knowing how much you
> are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.

You probably got one of the saws built back when Homelight was
building real, professional saws. I think the last series was the
"Homelight XXX". I had a Homelite 360 Pro -. After that they went
the way of Poulan and McCullough and started building
cheap POS for the big box market.

Harry K

Attila.Iskander

May 8, 2012, 3:50:13 PM5/8/12

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61***spam...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I picked up an old 40+ year-old McCulloch a few years back at a garage sale
for $5.
It's ugly, scared, beaten up loud, and shakes twice as hard than a Milwaukee
vibrator with religious fervor.
It even has a lousy design that if you are careless removing the air filter,
the screw can easily fall into the open cylinder below it.
But the damn thing starts on the 2nd pull EVERY TIME, and only needs fuel,
chain oil and a sharp chain to do whatever I ask of it.
It's my go to chain saw. for real work.

Doug Miller

May 8, 2012, 4:46:32 PM5/8/12
Steve Barker <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in news:
_fmdnSdOIoVXiDTS...@giganews.com:

> On 5/8/2012 7:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
>> Steve Barker<ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in news:4
>> _mdnfQasqENBTXSn...@giganews.com:

>>> there is no "S" on brands in this question. There is only ONE brand of
>>> chainsaw. STIHL. the rest are toys.
>>
>> I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None of you have any
idea
>> what the guy wants a chain saw for, and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply
must
>> have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.
>>
>> If he heats with wood, and will be using the saw for six hours every weekend cutting
>> firewood, then, yes, he probably needs a Stihl.
>>
>> If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a year, *any* chain
>> saw will do _just_fine_.
>
> yeah, _IF_ it'll start when he needs it.

If the chainsaw sees use only three times a year, it doesn't matter if it starts on the first pull or
the tenth pull.

>And _IF_ the chain doesn't
> break and slap the shit out of his arm.

Yeah, because that happens all the time.

Steve B

May 8, 2012, 5:50:51 PM5/8/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
I must be stupid. I understood the person perfectly.

Go figger.

Steve

Steve B

May 8, 2012, 5:54:04 PM5/8/12

"Steve Barker" <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in message
I agree with you on that. I bought a Husky, and although I am happy with
it, if I was to go buy another today, I would buy a Sthil. And with a
longer bar.

We will go this summer/fall, and gather about ten cords of wood, maybe
fifteen. We are rigging up to bring home 16' logs, then cut and split as we
take them off the trailer. Last year, I was doing limbing, and small logs,
while the two guys with the Stihls were doing the real work, particularly
the guy with the 440 Magnum. That's a saw!

Steve

Snake Doc

May 8, 2012, 5:54:32 PM5/8/12
On 5/8/2012 8:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

> If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a year, *any* chain
> saw will do _just_fine_.

I used to have one of those POS saws from a big box store. The thing
would not idle. Set it down for 10 seconds and it would die. Then you'd
have to pull your guts out to get it started again. Consequently I found
myself trying to hold the chainsaw and keep it running while I tried to
reposition a branch or log with my foot. Yah, I know, major-league stupid.

Anyway, I wised up and bought a Stihl. Never looked back.

Stormin Mormon

May 8, 2012, 6:51:56 PM5/8/12
I had a similar problem, with a saw. My Homelite PS-33 works fine, and idles
while I set it down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Meanie

May 8, 2012, 6:58:31 PM5/8/12
Thank you all for your answers.

I have no real idea how often I'll use the saw. In fact, that point is
irrelevant as I prefer a quality brand which I know will remain solid with
continuous use or if it's on the shelf collecting dust for most of the year.
IMO, quality brands will still start right up without fail even after
sitting for long periods.

I believe I'll buy a Stihl.

Steve B

May 8, 2012, 6:59:45 PM5/8/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
That is true. However, with *any* chain saw, I bet he's back within three
years asking about chain saws again. Poulans, Macs, and Echos make mighty
fine boat anchors. Other than that, if you use them more than 8 hours
total, they ain't worth. MHO only.

Steve

Steve B

May 8, 2012, 7:02:19 PM5/8/12

"Steve Barker" <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote

>> If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a
>> year, *any* chain
>> saw will do _just_fine_.
>
> yeah, _IF_ it'll start when he needs it. And _IF_ the chain doesn't break
> and slap the shit out of his arm. and and and.....
>
> --
> Steve Barker
> remove the "not" from my address to email

Touche. (Sorry, can't fine the little mark that goes over the e on this
keyboard.)

Steve

Steve B

May 8, 2012, 7:04:16 PM5/8/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote

> If the chainsaw sees use only three times a year, it doesn't matter if it
> starts on the first pull or
> the tenth pull.

It matters to me. They chainsawed my sternum in half, then put it back
together with Crazy Glue and stainless steel wires. I like saws that start
on the first or second pull. But I guess that's one of the slight
differences between a good and a bad chainsaw.

Steve

Attila.Iskander

May 8, 2012, 8:01:31 PM5/8/12

"Steve Barker" <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in message
What makes you imagine that a chain wouldn't have the courage the break on a
("holy") Stihl ??

Attila.Iskander

May 8, 2012, 8:08:43 PM5/8/12

"Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I've had a variety of saws over the years
I even have a 15+ year old Sears (42cc -18")
It has started every time I used it.
It got 5 days of sunrise to Sunset use a few years back when a Tornado tore
trough a town near my cabin, and I volunteered to help with the cleanup, and
loaned it to someone working with me..
All I needed to do with that one was keep feeding it gas, bar oil, sharp
chains and a new bar after 3 days..

Attila.Iskander

May 8, 2012, 8:08:50 PM5/8/12

"Frank" <frankperi...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Agreed that the newer chainsaws are crap
Poulan and Sears are now identical except for color scheme.
But I have enough of the old (pre-plastic parts) stuff to last the rest of
my life.

Attila.Iskander

May 8, 2012, 8:09:23 PM5/8/12

"HeyBub" <hey...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
Well they do have trees in and around NYC.

Ron

May 8, 2012, 8:30:34 PM5/8/12
On May 8, 6:59 pm, "Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Doug Miller" <doug_at_milmac_dot_...@example.com> wrote in message

> > Steve Barker <ichasetra...@notgmail.com> wrote in news:4
> > _mdnfQasqENBTXSnZ2dnUVZ_qedn...@giganews.com:

> >> there is no "S" on brands in this question.  There is only ONE brand of
> >> chainsaw.  STIHL.  the rest are toys.
>
> > I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None of
> > you have any idea
> > what the guy wants a chain saw for, and to insist -- without knowing
> > this -- that he simply must
> > have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.
>
> > If he heats with wood, and will be using the saw for six hours every
> > weekend cutting
> > firewood, then, yes, he probably needs a Stihl.
>
> > If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a
> > year, *any* chain
> > saw will do _just_fine_.
>
> That is true.  However, with *any* chain  saw, I bet he's back within three
> years asking about chain saws again.  Poulans, Macs, and Echos make mighty
> fine boat anchors.  Other than that, if you use them more than 8 hours
> total, they ain't worth.  MHO only.

I have an 8 yr old Poulan Wood Shark. Works just fine.

dpb

May 8, 2012, 8:38:06 PM5/8/12
On 5/8/2012 7:08 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

> I've had a variety of saws over the years
> I even have a 15+ year old Sears (42cc -18")
> It has started every time I used it.

I don't suppose it would have gotten much use on the times it didn't... :)

Steve Barker

May 8, 2012, 8:39:20 PM5/8/12
I've never seen it happen. With 5 Stihls, 30+ years and hundreds of
cords of Osage Orange (hedge) cut.

Steve Barker

May 8, 2012, 8:41:20 PM5/8/12
On 5/8/2012 7:08 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

AFAIK, the craftsman saws have always been made by Poulan. We had a
Poulan for a while (1980's) until someone decided they liked it better
than we did. It worked ok.

Attila.Iskander

May 8, 2012, 9:36:41 PM5/8/12

"dpb" <no...@non.net> wrote in message news:joce9f$71e$2...@speranza.aioe.org...
Actually at one time, it was my primary
Now it's relegated to a backup role
But that still gets it cranked up and used long enough for the chain to get
dull at least once a year,
I do that with all my tools that are duplicated.
That way, I'm pretty sure they'll start and work when needed

Attila.Iskander

May 8, 2012, 9:39:06 PM5/8/12

"Steve Barker" <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in message
History is interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulan

Attila.Iskander

May 8, 2012, 10:34:11 PM5/8/12

"Steve Barker" <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in message
And I've never seen it happen ever, and spent some time as a topper and
faller during my student days 40+ years ago
But then, I did more than just chop wood to make cords.
Recently got a good deal on a small Solo trimming saw. Used it to top an old
birch that was too close to the cabin.
By my drop line, I was 49' up the tree for the first cut, and 35' for the
second.
That little solo was small and light enough to be comfortable and easy to
handle.
It was actually fun to put in spikes and climb a tree.
The saw was light enough to trim branches one-handed on the way up, and
was still strong enough to cut through the trunk.
It's now all purpose trimmer saw
I'm also using it to teach the wife and kids how to handle a saw.

Ron

May 8, 2012, 11:11:18 PM5/8/12
On May 8, 10:34 pm, "Attila.Iskander" <Attila.Iskan...@Live.com>
wrote:
> Recently got a good deal on a small Solo trimming saw.

Can you use it to trim your posts?

Steve Barker

May 8, 2012, 11:20:27 PM5/8/12
as long as they are wood posts and not steel posts.

gregz

May 8, 2012, 11:36:02 PM5/8/12
The only fault I see with my husky, the label slips off. It's a sticker. My
brother uses an old sears. Probably at least 40 years old. With the husky,
never had to pull more than twice, and it does have compression release. I
used to use a little piece of crap, from the 60's. Very small. Got my jobs
done. I stopped using it when the gas pump went bad.

Greg

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

May 8, 2012, 11:39:21 PM5/8/12
On Mon, 7 May 2012 16:36:47 -0700, "Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Meanie" <M...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:jo9lc3$avf$1...@dont-email.me...
>> I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
>> look for.
>>
>> Thank you
>
>Stihl first, Husqvarna second. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and
>don't even think about anything else. Buy a good one, and don't worry about
>another for ten or twenty years.

I thought Husqvarna was just another MTD brand now. THeir mowers sure look
like it.

>Yes, I know, people will write in after this and tell glorious stories of
>their Mac and Echo and Poulans that lasted generations. And then there's
>all the ones in the landfill that people don't talk about.
>
>Look at features before you buy, and buy according to what you will use it
>for. Engine size, bar size, etc.
>
>Steve

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

May 8, 2012, 11:41:03 PM5/8/12
I don't think they allow chain saws in Central Park, though.

Sum Ting Wong

May 9, 2012, 5:16:41 AM5/9/12
+1
ROFLMAO!

Vinny From NYC

May 9, 2012, 5:44:18 AM5/9/12
On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:46:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
<doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote Re Re: Chain saw brand:

>If the chainsaw sees use only three times a year, it doesn't matter if it starts on the first pull or
>the tenth pull.

wrong

dpb

May 9, 2012, 8:26:57 AM5/9/12
On 5/8/2012 8:36 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:
> "dpb" <no...@non.net> wrote in message

>> I don't suppose it would have gotten much use on the times it
>> didn't... :)
>>

> Actually at one time, it was my primary

Whooosh... :)

Doug Miller

May 9, 2012, 9:14:31 AM5/9/12
"Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in news:joc4fk$ig1$1...@speranza.aioe.org:

> "Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
>> "Meanie" <M...@gmail.com> wrote in news:jo9lc3$avf$1...@dont-email.me:
>>
>>> I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands
>>> look for.
>>
>> It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without
>> knowing how much you
>> are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.
>
> I must be stupid.

You said it, I didn't.

> I understood the person perfectly.

No, you only think you did. You don't have enough information to make an intelligent answer
to his question. And -- surprise! -- you didn't.

Frank

May 9, 2012, 9:15:21 AM5/9/12
Is interesting.
In my many years, I've seen brand quality go up and down in washing
machines, lawn mowers and cars.
In general, US trend is to make a good product, then find a way to make
it cheaper and the brand suffers.
Japanese have tended to make a poor, cheap product and make it better.
That's when I started buying Japanese cars when their quality exceeded
American.

Steve B

May 9, 2012, 10:02:10 AM5/9/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
Hmmmmm.

What's a good brand of chainsaw?

Stihl or Husqvarna.

According to the last part of your post, I am not the only stupid person
here. Do you want to start a 12 step program meeting?

Steve

Attila.Iskander

May 9, 2012, 10:01:43 AM5/9/12

"Frank" <frankperi...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Indeed
Being COMPLETELY and without question loyal to one brand to the point of
never considering anything else, is just foolish.
Also claiming that only one brand is the be-all and end-all of the decisions
making process is not any better.

Attila.Iskander

May 9, 2012, 10:05:23 AM5/9/12

"dpb" <no...@non.net> wrote in message news:jodnqf$aaf$2...@speranza.aioe.org...
Sounds like it's windy where you are
Have you considered ear plugs to reduce the volume of wing going between
your ears ?
Could help reduce that whooshing sound you hear.

Harry K

May 9, 2012, 9:47:58 AM5/9/12
On May 8, 3:58 pm, "Meanie" <M...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you all for your answers.
>
> I have no real idea how often I'll use the saw. In fact, that point is
> irrelevant as I prefer a quality brand which I know will remain solid with
> continuous use or if it's on the shelf collecting dust for most of the year.
> IMO, quality brands will still start right up without fail even after
> sitting for long periods.
>
> I believe I'll buy a Stihl.

Wrong. It will not "start right up" after sitting for long periods.
You need to empty the gas tank and run it until it stops or you will
have a crudded up carburetor. Leaving gas in them is good for maybe a
month, longer than that is asking for a carb rebuild.

Harry K

Doug Miller

May 9, 2012, 10:35:16 AM5/9/12
"Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in news:jodtcs$sod$1...@speranza.aioe.org:

> What's a good brand of chainsaw?
>
> Stihl or Husqvarna.

I've found, over the years, that most of the time when a person tells me that [most-expensive
brand] is the only brand of [object] that's worth buying, he's not trying to convince *me* of that.

He's trying to reassure *himself* that he didn't waste his money when he bought his.

Attila.Iskander

May 9, 2012, 12:06:35 PM5/9/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
BINGO !

A while back (in my bachelor days,) I drove a 5 series BMW
Great car, lots of fun to drive, retired it a +225K miles
Lived up to the BMW claim of a great driving experience.
(And not even that expensive to operate)
Now I drive a VW station wagon.
It has pretty well the same comforts of amenities as the BMW did.
And I get the same pleasure out of driving it as I did the BMW for only
a fraction of the cost.

If you gave me a BMW, I would gladly take it.
But why should I spend the extra money if I can get the same results for
less $.
I can use that extra money for something else.

The same logic holds
For occasional use, a lesser brand at a lesser brand will do the job.
And the meantime, that money saved can grow in my bank account and pay for
other things, including a replacement IF it wears out a tad sooner.

Attila.Iskander

May 9, 2012, 12:09:27 PM5/9/12

"Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
>> "Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>> "Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message

>>> I must be stupid.
>>
>> You said it, I didn't.
>>
>>> I understood the person perfectly.
>>
>> No, you only think you did. You don't have enough information to make an
>> intelligent answer
>> to his question. And -- surprise! -- you didn't.
>
> Hmmmmm.
>
> What's a good brand of chainsaw?
>
> Stihl or Husqvarna.

They're both god brands depending on what use will be made of them

That's like arguing Lexus or Accura or BMW or any other brand.
For the guy who only goes to the grocery and back, they're only benefit is
bragging rights
Purely on the level of driving performance, they will never be put to use
for all that extra cost.

> According to the last part of your post, I am not the only stupid person
> here. Do you want to start a 12 step program meeting?

Go for it
It can only help you.

gregz

May 9, 2012, 1:42:47 PM5/9/12
"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2012 16:36:47 -0700, "Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> "Meanie" <M...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:jo9lc3$avf$1...@dont-email.me...
>>> I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
>>> look for.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>
>> Stihl first, Husqvarna second. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and
>> don't even think about anything else. Buy a good one, and don't worry about
>> another for ten or twenty years.
>
> I thought Husqvarna was just another MTD brand now. THeir mowers sure look
> like it.

The riding mowers use Briggs engines. I don't see the point of it.

Greg

Harry Johnson

May 9, 2012, 9:26:42 PM5/9/12
On 5/9/2012 10:02 AM, Steve B wrote:
> "Doug Miller"<doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message

>> No, you only think you did. You don't have enough information to make an
>> intelligent answer
>> to his question. And -- surprise! -- you didn't.
>
> Hmmmmm.
>
> What's a good brand of chainsaw?
>
> Stihl or Husqvarna.
>
> According to the last part of your post, I am not the only stupid person
> here. Do you want to start a 12 step program meeting?
>
> Steve

I've noticed Asplundh tree service uses Stihl exclusively. They maintain
thousands of miles of power lines in our state so I think they know what
the fuck they're doing. I've never seen anyone in an Asplundh bucket
running a Poulan or a Homelite. LOL!

If I couldn't afford a Stihl, I'd prolly just buy a good quality
arborist's hand saw.

Steve Barker

May 9, 2012, 9:56:04 PM5/9/12
anytime you see a forest firefighter team at work on the news or a tv
show, guess what brand saw is in their hand? There's a reason Stihl is
number one.

Steve B

May 9, 2012, 11:48:16 PM5/9/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
Actually, what reinforces my belief that I bought a good chain saw (Husky)
is hearing all the whiners who are looking for a new chain saw after one or
two or three years of normal use with their el cheapo chain saws.

Steve

Attila.Iskander

May 10, 2012, 12:24:48 AM5/10/12

"Harry Johnson" <ha...@remove.this.com> wrote in message
> On 5/9/2012 10:02 AM, Steve B wrote:
>> "Doug Miller"<doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
>
>>> No, you only think you did. You don't have enough information to make an
>>> intelligent answer
>>> to his question. And -- surprise! -- you didn't.
>>
>> Hmmmmm.
>>
>> What's a good brand of chainsaw?
>>
>> Stihl or Husqvarna.
>>
>> According to the last part of your post, I am not the only stupid person
>> here. Do you want to start a 12 step program meeting?
>>
>> Steve
>>

> I've noticed Asplundh tree service uses Stihl exclusively. They maintain
> thousands of miles of power lines in our state so I think they know what
> the fuck they're doing. I've never seen anyone in an Asplundh bucket
> running a Poulan or a Homelite. LOL!

<sigh>
That's like claiming that you've never seen a fighter pilot go to war in a
hang-glider.
But hey, the fun part of usenet is having idi, er individuals make that
kind of argument in all seriousness.

> If I couldn't afford a Stihl, I'd prolly just buy a good quality
> arborist's hand saw.

There you go
Stick to what you can handle.

Doug Miller

May 10, 2012, 7:30:43 AM5/10/12
"Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in news:joffiq$5q1$1...@speranza.aioe.org:
Uh-huh. Keep telling yourself that.

Attila.Iskander

May 10, 2012, 10:10:07 AM5/10/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
Funny.
He was pushing Stihl but bought a Husky
Can you see the disconnect and possible hypocrisy ?

Doug Miller

May 10, 2012, 10:37:02 AM5/10/12
"Attila.Iskander" <Attila....@Live.com> wrote in news:jogidn$cg7$1...@dont-email.me:

> Funny.
> He was pushing Stihl but bought a Husky
> Can you see the disconnect and possible hypocrisy ?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/c90032f0c3de736c?dmode=source

Attila.Iskander

May 10, 2012, 10:49:56 AM5/10/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
Interesting
He's a thief too...

Steve B

May 10, 2012, 11:08:09 AM5/10/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
You're right, Doug. You're always right. I mean, you wrote it, so it must
be right. And you just keep on sawing two branches a year with your little
saw, there. Anyone who cuts more than a cord a winter knows the real skinny
about chain saws. The rest are just occasional users, and any old thing
will work.

Steve

Attila.Iskander

May 10, 2012, 12:20:51 PM5/10/12

"Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I have a refurbished Sears 42cc 18" chain saw, that I bought 17 years ago
for about $60 (if memory serves)
Have kept it in a case in the back of the pickup for about 5 years year
round.
Used it to salvage firewood and interesting lumber for a friend who carves
and makes bowls.
I still have it and it still works
GO figure
Just the savings on buying that "cheap' saw paid for a bunch of other saws I
bought in the following years.
Many of those have been passed on to good homes where they are
appreciated, even though they are not Stihls..

Doug Miller

May 10, 2012, 1:51:17 PM5/10/12
"Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in news:joglkg$7ao$1...@speranza.aioe.org:
If you only cut a cord a year, you wasted your money.

FWIW, I just finished cutting up a fallen tree in my back yard, a large cherry about 60 years
old. We had to haul close to half of it to the dump because it was full of termites. After
splitting and stacking the rest, it amounts to around 2/3 cord -- would have been over a cord,
definitely, if the wood had all been sound. The saw? A 16" Poulan that I bought at Lowe's
about ten years ago -- which, according to you, is just a toy.

Conclusion: you're FOS.

MARK O'MARA

May 11, 2012, 3:54:23 PM5/11/12
On 5/10/2012 1:51 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

> FWIW, I just finished cutting up a fallen tree in my back yard, a large cherry about 60 years
> old. We had to haul close to half of it to the dump because it was full of termites. After
> splitting and stacking the rest, it amounts to around 2/3 cord -- would have been over a cord,
> definitely, if the wood had all been sound. The saw? A 16" Poulan that I bought at Lowe's
> about ten years ago -- which, according to you, is just a toy.
>
> Conclusion: you're FOS.

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
store. It's all junk, in my experience.

Robert Neville

May 11, 2012, 4:27:21 PM5/11/12
MARK O'MARA <MARK.O'MA...@H0TMAIL.C0M> wrote:

>I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
>store. It's all junk, in my experience.

That's kind of my feeling as well. The big box stores are trying to meet a price
point, and the only way the manufacturers can do that is to cut quality any
where they can. Someone posted an interesting article here recently about how
Walmart has made lawnmowers almost disposable - use for a season and throw it
away.

Stormin Mormon

May 11, 2012, 4:48:19 PM5/11/12
Amazing. I'd heard such things, but today took
the time to search it on the net.
http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid=10574

Interesting, article says Levi Strauss has a cheaper
line of clothes that go to Walmart. So, maybe Levis
from other stores are higher price, but better quality?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Steve B

May 11, 2012, 5:25:45 PM5/11/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
That is what I love about things. You can choose what you want. Shit or
good products.

Steve

Steve B

May 11, 2012, 5:27:34 PM5/11/12

"MARK O'MARA" <MARK.O'MA...@H0TMAIL.C0M> wrote in message
But wait, the omnipotent Doug has spoken. Therefore, you must be in error,
FOS, and all that. You did not see what you think you saw. You did not
experience what you think and said you experienced.

Are you on drugs?

I guess we both are, because my experiences parallel yours.

ALL HAIL DOUG!

Steve

Steve B

May 11, 2012, 5:29:07 PM5/11/12

"Robert Neville" <do...@bother.com> wrote in message
Bought a Craftsman last week for $10. Cleaned the carb, power washed it,
and sold it for $50. They're good for something.

Steve

Doug Miller

May 11, 2012, 5:33:39 PM5/11/12
Robert Neville <do...@bother.com> wrote in news:1etqq7tedbe0nneu9to1501pqvo5rhpb6v@
4ax.com:
I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

Doug Miller

May 11, 2012, 5:37:13 PM5/11/12
"Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in news:jok04f$ibo$2...@speranza.aioe.org:
You're the expert on the former, apparently. Some day, perhaps you will learn you can get
the latter without spending top dollar.

Or perhaps you won't.

Attila.Iskander

May 11, 2012, 6:12:50 PM5/11/12

"Steve B" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote in message
That explains how we rate your input

Steve B

May 11, 2012, 7:27:30 PM5/11/12

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote

> You're the expert on the former, apparently. Some day, perhaps you will
> learn you can get
> the latter without spending top dollar.
>
> Or perhaps you won't.

Oh, I get stuff at Harbor Freight. And at yard sales. Most of the time,
you get what you pay for, and that is particularly true with certain tools
and machines.

Whatever gets the work done for you, Doug.

There's a hundred ways to cook a poodle.

Steve

Ed Pawlowski

May 11, 2012, 11:52:59 PM5/11/12
On Fri, 11 May 2012 15:54:23 -0400, MARK O'MARA
<MARK.O'MA...@H0TMAIL.C0M> wrote:

>I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
>store. It's all junk, in my experience.

I have to disagree. I was given a Homelite chain saw. I used it to
cut up a couple of branches and it worked OK one time. After that, I
used it to hold down the lid on the trash can in the shop. Since
doing that, the lid has never blown off.

Sure spend big bucks for a Stihl if you want, but that Homelite holds
the lid down as good as any of the more costly brands.

Want to cut wood? Yeah, I have a Stihl for that.

Steve Barker

May 11, 2012, 11:59:49 PM5/11/12
but using it as a planter doesn't really count as being a viable machine
in it's old age.

Doug Miller

May 12, 2012, 10:33:28 AM5/12/12
Steve Barker <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in
I guess I have to spell it out for you, don't I? I'm still using it _to_cut_grass_. And it still starts on
the first or second pull.

Harry K

May 12, 2012, 11:23:48 AM5/12/12
On May 11, 8:52 pm, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2012 15:54:23 -0400, MARK O'MARA

;)

Harry K

Steve Barker

May 12, 2012, 11:40:01 AM5/12/12
ohhhhhhhhhhhh... LOL!

Jack

May 13, 2012, 11:28:09 AM5/13/12
On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

> I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

That's exceptional! What brand is it?

Doug Miller

May 13, 2012, 1:40:56 PM5/13/12
Jack <ja...@hot.mail> wrote in news:jooju...@news1.newsguy.com:

> On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
>>
>> I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.
>
> That's exceptional! What brand is it?

Yard Machines (MTD) with a Tecumseh engine.

Nate Nagel

May 13, 2012, 1:43:50 PM5/13/12
Wow, how many times have you replaced the flywheel key? (of course, it
doesn't take long after the first time you've done it...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Vinny From NYC

May 13, 2012, 1:47:23 PM5/13/12
On Sun, 13 May 2012 11:28:09 -0400, Jack <ja...@hot.mail> wrote Re Re:
Chain saw brand:

>On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
>>
>> I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.
>
>That's exceptional! What brand is it?

What's really exceptional is that anyone believe that claim.

Ed Pawlowski

May 13, 2012, 2:36:24 PM5/13/12
Maybe his lawn is 10' x 20'.

Harry K

May 13, 2012, 3:58:12 PM5/13/12
On May 13, 10:47 am, Vinny From NYC <vi...@NYCapple.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2012 11:28:09 -0400, Jack <j...@hot.mail> wrote Re Re:
> Chain saw brand:
>
> >On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
>
> >> I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.
>
> >That's exceptional! What brand is it?
>
> What's really exceptional is that anyone believe that claim.

Well, I am still useing a Konda SX with HRA 214 engine I bought about
1985.

Wore the rubber off the drive wheels twice, Replaced one clutch cable,
one spark plug and a fuel filter. It is now assigned to trim mower
only after the rider is finished
but it still starts first pull every time...except for the first start
in the
spring. That takes sitting awhile in the sun to warm the old bones
and usually 3 pulls.

Of course that is comparing a quality mower to a MTD product.

Harry K

Han

May 13, 2012, 4:47:36 PM5/13/12
Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote in

> Maybe his lawn is 10' x 20'.

That is our "lawn", and the boss herself uses our push-mower to mow that.
It looks something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RA3F/

--
Best regards
Han

Steve Barker

May 13, 2012, 10:23:21 PM5/13/12
On 5/13/2012 12:43 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 05/13/2012 01:40 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
>> Jack<ja...@hot.mail> wrote in news:jooju...@news1.newsguy.com:

>>> That's exceptional! What brand is it?
>>>
>> Yard Machines (MTD) with a Tecumseh engine.
>
> Wow, how many times have you replaced the flywheel key? (of course, it
> doesn't take long after the first time you've done it...)
>
> nate

If the thing is tight to begin with, and you don't hit any solid
objects, there's no reason to shear that key.

Harry K

May 14, 2012, 2:06:05 AM5/14/12
On May 13, 7:23 pm, Steve Barker <ichasetra...@notgmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/13/2012 12:43 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

> >> Yard Machines (MTD) with a Tecumseh engine.
>
> > Wow, how many times have you replaced the flywheel key? (of course, it
> > doesn't take long after the first time you've done it...)
>
> > nate
>
> If the thing is tight to begin with, and you don't hit any solid
> objects, there's no reason to shear that key.
>
> --
> Steve Barker
> remove the "not" from my address to email

Yep. Other than hitting something or poor torqueing when it was lasst
assumbled the key souuld last longer than the rest of the engine.

Harry

Doug Miller

May 14, 2012, 7:34:27 AM5/14/12
Nate Nagel <njn...@roosters.net> wrote in news:joors...@news6.newsguy.com:

> On 05/13/2012 01:40 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
>> Jack<ja...@hot.mail> wrote in news:jooju...@news1.newsguy.com:

>>> That's exceptional! What brand is it?
>>>
>> Yard Machines (MTD) with a Tecumseh engine.
>
> Wow, how many times have you replaced the flywheel key? (of course, it
> doesn't take long after the first time you've done it...)

Twice. Realizing that the most time-consuming part of replacing that key was the trip to a
mower shop to buy one, I bought three keys the second time it happened. Five years ago.
And I haven't had to replace one since.

Stormin Mormon

May 14, 2012, 11:02:20 AM5/14/12
There is a certain divine providence, in having spare parts on hand. One is
less likely to need them.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message

Attila.Iskander

May 14, 2012, 12:24:08 PM5/14/12

> "Doug Miller" <doug_at_mil...@example.com> wrote in message
]>

#
# There is a certain divine providence, in having spare parts on hand. One
is
# less likely to need them.

Very much like packing heat.
The great majority never even need to draw. (And that includes the
police).

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

May 14, 2012, 11:09:22 PM5/14/12
Very much like having and "emergency fund" or a couple of hundred $$ in your
wallet.