Crank it up: billions of Bibles... and believers

5 vues

us4...@att.net

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 02:21:0803/01/2011
From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller), I have seen
that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers. More than likely this phenomenon is due to the fact that the factual evidence
presented is overwhelming evidence against their very own, misguided beliefs.

The following verses from the Holy Writ speaks of tens if not hundreds of billions of folks.....

After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and
before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, "Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne,
and unto the Lamb". (Revelation 7:9-10)

Do what? From all nations and races? Really? Untold billions upon billions in white robes?

Yes. It is you, the unbelieving godless pagans involved in idolatry who have problems. I am convinced. You can't really play the victim. You can't really play
the race card. You can't really play the religion card. In fact............you really cannot play atall. All of your playing is just that. You have no excuse.

I am convinced of the truth by the Word of God which is the final authority, and by the Spirit of God which is the ultimate Convincer.

"And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged." - Jesus

So yes, you do indeed have problems. I understand that. You need to understand that I am the least of your many problems.

Even so all comments are welcomed. Go for it. Crank 'em up. Give me a reason to start my engine and fire from all cylinders...

"The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it." - Jesus

Grab one of the billions of Bibles. Pull up a chair. Let us press on and in to the kingdom of God.

u4z

u4z

Virgil HANCHER

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 02:40:5103/01/2011
In article <hho2i65ft9s0g26nk...@4ax.com>,
us4...@att.net wrote:

> rom replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold

All noted what a massive waste of money and paper it involved.

Richo

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 03:22:1603/01/2011
On Jan 3, 6:21 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:
> From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller), I have seen
> that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers.

Then you are not paying attention to what is being said to you.
It doesn't matter how many copies of a book are produced, if the book
contain falsehoods and nonsense.

>More than likely this phenomenon is due to the fact that the factual evidence
> presented is overwhelming evidence against their very own, misguided beliefs.

No - you haven't presented any factual evidence - you have presented a
Logical fallacy - that is that if something is popular then it is
true.

> The following verses from the Holy Writ  speaks of tens if not hundreds of billions of folks.....

So what?

> Yes. It is you, the unbelieving godless pagans involved in idolatry who have problems.

I am not involved in idolatry.
I simply don't believe in your bronze age nonsense.

Mark

Devils Advocaat

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 03:25:4203/01/2011
On Jan 3, 7:21 am, us4z...@att.net wrote:
> From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold

Its amazing how easily you manage to misinterpret the data you
presented on numerous occasions.

The Bible has only been in print since the mid-1400s.

Since then the estimate is around 6 billion plus have been published.

You claimed in another thread that this equates to 100 million Bibles
a week.

Either you cannot do basic maths, or you like to lie.

Which is it?

Virgil

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 03:25:5203/01/2011

> From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold
> (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller), I have
> seen
> that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers.
> More than likely this phenomenon is due to the fact that the factual evidence
> presented is overwhelming evidence against their very own, misguided beliefs.

Since your wild-assed claim of an impossible rate of sales is presented without any
evidence, much less any believable evidence, It confirms you lying nature, surely a
sinful behavior that would condemn you to hell, if there were one.

Pepsi

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 03:48:1603/01/2011

<us4...@att.net> wrote in message

> From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being
> sold (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller),
> I have seen
> that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers.
> More than likely this phenomenon is due to the fact that the factual
> evidence
> presented is overwhelming evidence against their very own, misguided
> beliefs.
>
> The following verses from the Holy Writ speaks of tens if not hundreds of
> billions of folks.....

The majority of the people in the entire world is only, currently, a bit
over 6 billion.
Claiming tens or hundreds of folks, without ANY sane reasoning or
statistics, means nothing.

If you intend to count all the people who bought bibles, then you must
vcount ALL OTHER PUBLICATIONS for an equal amount of AVERAGE time.
The bible has been "on sale" a lot longer than any other books you
mentioned.
It's the "average per sales year" that counts - not the "grand total".

Even so, you cannot, honestly, count them like it was "individual bibles,
sold to individual people" - be ause there are so many groups who buy bibles
in bulk - to pass out to others.

Of course you cannot do anything "honestly", when you must lie, and distort
reality, to prove something without one, single, shred of valid, supportive,
facts or evidence.

As stated before, popularity does NOT equate to validity.

I have no evidence, either way, but I could easily believe there is more
pornography sold than there is religious material (or just the bible).
It validates nothing.

(snip standard babble-crap from a brain dead idiot)

panam...@hotmail.com

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 03:54:1203/01/2011
On Jan 3, 2:21 am, us4z...@att.net wrote:
> From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller), I have seen
> that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers.

No, not "overwhelmed", just unimpressed. I've previously told you why,
but you continue to ignore it.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.atheism/msg/1b975e04e4a3c579

-Panama Floyd, Atlanta.
aa#2015, Member Knights of BAAWA!
"..the prayer cloth of one aeon is the doormat of the next."
-Mark Twain

Religious societies are *less* moral than secular ones:
http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html

James Dale Guckert

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 04:08:5903/01/2011
On 1/2/11 11:21 PM, us4...@att.net wrote:
> The following verses from the Holy Writ speaks of tens if not hundreds of billions of folks.....

Then it has a numerical problem. As of yet there haven't been that many
people in existence. There are more people alive now than there are dead
throughout human history, so you do the arithmetic.

--
JDG

Loirbaj

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 05:24:1303/01/2011
On Jan 2, 11:21 pm, us4z..wrote:

In my personal library I have your Black Book. Called upon by another
I will (in another post/thread) cite from it. The Bible, especially
today, is famously NOT read. All civilised folks may possess numerous
of copies but not one in a thousand will ever open and read. Have
listened to countless atheists vent about "no God, Moses couldn't do
that, etc". After a few minutes of enduring their rants, I will say
Can I ask you a question or two? Instantly, from their wrong answers
(to very simple questions) it is obvious they have never read your
Holy Bible. The same thing applies to Origin of Species. Several
posters here made claims 'the ToE says such and such", but when I
quoted Darwin ORIGIN to them, they were nonplussed. America famously
does NOT read, any longer. And large portions of the OT are super
boring. While almost everything CDarwin wrote is ultra boring. I have
no intention "to witness" to anyone here or in personal life, but if a
child came to me and asked about the Bible I would say: pick it up and
read the first 4 books of the New Testament. Finally, is there
something in your Black Book that even says in essence that the Truth
will be before them and they will NOT read nor understand it? The
Bible, for at least another many years, will be famously unread by all.

Caranx latus

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 09:50:1403/01/2011

us4z strike me as the sort of person who puts 2 and 2 together and
comes up with 'radish'.

Devils Advocaat

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 09:59:1703/01/2011

Or possibly 'a suffusion of yellow'. :P

John Baker

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 11:12:3203/01/2011

And if you actually believe this bullshit, you're even dumber than I
thought you were.

>u4z
>

>u4z

ken

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 11:22:0303/01/2011
On Jan 3, 8:12 am, John Baker <john_bake...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> And if you actually believe this bullshit, you're even dumber than I
> thought you were.

Is that even possible???

Syd M.

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 11:27:1903/01/2011
On Jan 3, 2:21 am, us4z...@att.net wrote:
> From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller), I have seen
> that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers. More than likely this phenomenon is due to the fact that the factual evidence
> presented is overwhelming evidence against their very own, misguided beliefs.

Or perhaps it's because no actual evidence was presented, only a
'argument by numbers.'
And your last lie speaks volumes, asshole.

PDW

Christopher A. Lee

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 12:18:0303/01/2011

What "beliefs" was the in-your-face liar lying about our having?

>PDW

SkyEyes

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 15:29:2703/01/2011

I've actually read the bible, cover-to-cover and in various
translations and languages, a number of times. The more I read it,
the more underwhelmed I became.

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34
BAAWA Knight of the Golden Litterbox
EAC Professor of Feline Thermometrics and Cat-Herding
skyeyes nine at cox dot net OR
skyeyes nine at yahoo dot com OR
skyeyes nine at gmail dot com

Feminazi Cuntkins

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 17:33:3403/01/2011
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:29:27 -0800 (PST), SkyEyes <skye...@cox.net>
wrote:

>I've actually read the bible, cover-to-cover and in various
>translations and languages, a number of times. The more I read it,
>the more underwhelmed I became.

"Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat
her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

That's my favourite Mark Twain quote.

FNC, unabashed Janeite

Loirbaj

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 17:54:4103/01/2011
SkyEyes>

> >I've actually read the bible, cover-to-cover and in various
> >translations and languages, a number of times.  The more I read it,
> >the more underwhelmed I became.

Several times...Ok. And in several language. Mnnh..huh.
What makes me conclude that you're a lying atheist.

Ralph

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 19:19:3003/01/2011

So you really are Jabbers.

osugeography

non lue,
3 janv. 2011, 22:06:3603/01/2011

Hi Ralph.

Loirbaj = jabrioL, reversed.

I don't remember Jabriol (although I don't remember lots of things...

How would posters here charaterize his past style?

Regards, Marvin

Marvin Sebourn
osugeo...@aol.com

Ralph

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 11:55:3304/01/2011

Hi Marvin,

Jabriol is a disease, akin to a parasite. He has been disrupting NG's
for years. His real name is Antonio Santana and he is a Jehovah's
Witness. The only way to fight him is to quit replying to him. He uses
different nyms and they usually point to him in some way. The rest of
you folks can banter with him if you wish but I have kept him in my
kill-file for years.

Oops, there he goes again***PLONK***.

My best to you,
Ralph

You can read any of these to get a small idea of his worthlessness:

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=jabriol

us4...@att.net

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 17:06:4504/01/2011
"Pepsi" <Pe...@coke.com> wrote:

Well, they became so overwhelmed and discouraged over the popularity and total sales of the Holy Bible.... that they just decided to quit counting\reporting
back in 1992.

What happened was that as the Holy Bible foretold..... the Gospel of God would be promoted\published among all nations before the end.
Everyone everywhere would have a chance to say "yes" or "no" to God.

What you cannot say is... "but I never heard" when you stand before God.

u4z

us4...@att.net

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 17:06:4504/01/2011
John Baker <john_b...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Pardon me if I'm wrong.... but aren't you the guy who has 20 Bibles?

u4z

us4...@att.net

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 17:06:4504/01/2011
Richo <m.richa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jan 3, 6:21�pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:
>> From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller), I have seen
>> that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers.
>
>Then you are not paying attention to what is being said to you.
>It doesn't matter how many copies of a book are produced, if the book
>contain falsehoods and nonsense.
>

>>More than likely this phenomenon is due to the fact that the factual evidence
>> presented is overwhelming evidence against their very own, misguided beliefs.
>>
>No - you haven't presented any factual evidence - you have presented a
>Logical fallacy - that is that if something is popular then it is
>true.

The Holy Writ itself contains proof of God. It is unnecessary for me to show you my personal proof.

There is no document anywhere that over-rides the authority of the Word of God.

You need to get out of the negotiation mode you have fallen into by who knows what cult\ideology\idolatrous\demonic influence.

These things are non-negotiable.

"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." Jesus

But go ahead if you wish. Rant, rave, curse, mock or whatever.

"The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever." (Isaiah 40:8)

Do yourself a favor and acknowledge the fact that your problems are not my words... but the Word of God itself.

Billions upon billions of believers and printed copies of the Holy Writ testify against you. In fact, it is almost an honor that you would chose me out of the
billions upon billions of possibilities to argue against.

Thank you, I am encouraged greatly.

u4z

Caranx latus

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 19:02:5504/01/2011
On Jan 4, 5:06 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:

> Richo <m.richardso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jan 3, 6:21 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:
> >> From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller), I have seen
> >> that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers.
>
> >Then you are not paying attention to what is being said to you.
> >It doesn't matter how many copies of a book are produced, if the book
> >contain falsehoods and nonsense.
>
> >>More than likely this phenomenon is due to the fact that the factual evidence
> >> presented is overwhelming evidence against their very own, misguided beliefs.
>
> >No - you haven't presented any factual evidence - you have presented a
> >Logical fallacy - that is that if something is popular then it is
> >true.
>
> The Holy Writ itself contains proof of God. It is unnecessary for me to show you my personal proof.

How... convenient.

> There is no document anywhere that over-rides the authority of the Word of God.

And we know that because...?

<snip>

Loirbaj

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 19:22:2704/01/2011
US4x said

> > There is no document anywhere that over-rides the authority of the Word of God.

> Caran said

> And we know that because...?

No religionist I, but I would never try and contradict the Word.

us4...@att.net

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 20:17:3504/01/2011
Caranx latus <kar...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Who is "we"?.

I understand that you yourself may have questions.

u4z

us4...@att.net

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 20:17:3504/01/2011
Loirbaj <Rhod...@wmconnect.com> wrote:

Good. The race baiters lie. The liberal humanists lie. Untold billions from all nations and races are seen as having made it to heaven....

"After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and
before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne,
and unto the Lamb." (Revelation 7:9-10)

It is understandable how billions upon billions of Bibles have been bought and read.

Also, you can see how and why these false prophets who are here in this present day, are so desperate.

I doubt that all the writings on evolution and Darwin if all combined together would equal to a 2 weeks sales figure of the Holy Writ.

So I hope you realize that such a teeny minority of idjuts who have corrupted human civilization to such a great depth of darkness and depravity, justify the
existence of hell itself, eternal damnation... i.e. the judgment of God.

u4z

osugeography

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 20:40:5904/01/2011
On Jan 4, 10:55 am, Ralph <mmman...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 1/3/2011 10:06 PM, osugeography wrote:

> >> So you really are Jabbers.
>
> > Hi Ralph.
>
> > Loirbaj = jabrioL, reversed.
>
> > I don't remember Jabriol (although I don't remember lots of things...
>
> > How would posters here charaterize his past style?
>
> > Regards, Marvin
>
> > Marvin Sebourn
> > osugeogra...@aol.com

> Hi Marvin,
>
> Jabriol is a disease, akin to a parasite. He has been disrupting NG's
> for years. His real name is Antonio Santana and he is a Jehovah's
> Witness. The only way to fight him is to quit replying to him. He uses
> different nyms and they usually point to him in some way. The rest of
> you folks can banter with him if you wish but I have kept him in my
> kill-file for years.
>
> Oops, there he goes again***PLONK***.
>
> My best to you,
> Ralph
>
> You can read any of these to get a small idea of his worthlessness:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=jabriol- Hide quoted text -

Hello Ralph, and thank you for the information.

I will heed what you say, and KF him now.

I will look for your email address, and try and drop you a note within
the next week or so.

All the best to you and yours also.

Marvin

Marvin Sebourn
osugeo...@aol.com

Father Haskell

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 20:52:0404/01/2011
On Jan 4, 5:06 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:

> Billions upon billions of believers and printed copies of
> the Holy Writ testify against you.

Billions of 'em... and they don't prove a damned thing.

us4...@att.net

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:03:5904/01/2011
Father Haskell <father...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Yes, the billions testify against you. Wait... make that billions of 'em plus 1 (me).

Do not be surprised if you find your proof in hell itself.

"There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves
thrust out." - Jesus

Repent, and read your Bible.

u4z

Father Haskell

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:08:4504/01/2011
On Jan 4, 9:03 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:

> Father Haskell <fatherhask...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Jan 4, 5:06 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:
>
> >> Billions upon billions of believers and printed copies of
> >> the Holy Writ testify against you.
>
> >Billions of 'em... and they don't prove a damned thing.
>
> Yes, the billions testify against you. Wait... make that billions of 'em plus 1 (me).

A billion lies are still lies. So are a billion and one.

> Do not be surprised if you find your proof in hell itself.

Xian for lost argument.

us4...@att.net

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:14:1104/01/2011
Father Haskell <father...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jan 4, 9:03 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:
>> Father Haskell <fatherhask...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >Billions of 'em... and they don't prove a damned thing.
>>
>> Yes, the billions testify against you. Wait... make that billions of 'em plus 1 (me).
>
>A billion lies are still lies. So are a billion and one.

And so they (and people like you) killed Jesus.

u4z

Yap

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:40:4704/01/2011
On 3 Jan, 14:21, us4z...@att.net wrote:
> From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller), I have seen
> that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers. More than likely this phenomenon is due to the fact that the factual evidence

> presented is overwhelming evidence against their very own, misguided beliefs.
Laughing at you and your childish maths are the response, and you are
proud to be at the center of attention?

> The following verses from the Holy Writ  speaks of tens if not hundreds of billions of folks.....
>
> After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and
> before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, "Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne,
> and unto the Lamb". (Revelation 7:9-10)
What lamb...you mean lamb chop?

> Do what? From all nations and races? Really? Untold billions upon billions in white robes?
>
> Yes. It is you, the unbelieving godless pagans involved in idolatry who have problems. I am convinced. You can't really play the victim. You can't really play
> the race card. You can't really play the religion card. In fact............you really cannot play atall. All of your playing is just that. You have no excuse.
>
> I am convinced of the truth by the Word of God which is the final authority, and by the Spirit of God which is the ultimate Convincer.
>
> "And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me;
> Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged." - Jesus
>
> So yes, you do indeed have problems. I understand that. You need to understand that I am the least of your many problems.
>
> Even so all comments are welcomed. Go for it. Crank 'em up. Give me a reason to start my engine and fire from all cylinders...
>
> "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it." - Jesus
We don't care a single bit of the nonsense of the stupidity of your
jesus.
But we cannot speak for the millions of brain damaged bigots who are
deprived of common sense.

> Grab one of the billions of Bibles. Pull up a chair. Let us press on and in to the kingdom of God.
We human are not subject to any kingdom.
In fact most kingdoms of human race are irrelevant now. You may still
find a few kings, but they are worthless and powerless...and they
depend on state handouts.

> u4z
>
> u4z

us4...@att.net

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:45:3604/01/2011
Yap <hhya...@gmail.com> wrote:

Like others here, your basic problem is with he Holy Bible and the Word of God.... not me.

u4z

Yap

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:45:4504/01/2011
On 3 Jan, 17:24, Loirbaj <Rhodi...@wmconnect.com> wrote:
> [...]
> (to very simple questions) it is obvious they have never read your
> Holy Bible. The same thing applies to Origin of Species. Several
> posters here made claims 'the ToE says such and such", but when I
> quoted Darwin ORIGIN to them, they were nonplussed. America famously
> does NOT read, any longer. And large portions of the OT are super
> boring. While almost everything CDarwin wrote is ultra boring. I have
> no intention "to witness" to anyone here or in personal life, but if a
> child came to me and asked about the Bible I would say: pick it up and
> read the first 4 books of the New Testament. Finally, is there
> something in your Black Book that even says in essence that the Truth
> will be before them and they will NOT read nor understand it? The
> Bible, for at least another many years, will be famously unread by all.

Well, the bible is a worthless piece of SHIT....its content is full of
lies and lies... or if you like it, man created stories full of
contradictions and nonsense.

haiku jones

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:47:1904/01/2011
On Jan 4, 6:17 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:

<>

We have? We did? Cool! I had no idea we wielded such power!

Thank you for that bit of intelligence, faithful one. For that
we grant you this boon: when Great Chthulu awakens,
we shall make certain that mercifully, you are among the
first to be eaten.

haiku

Yap

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:51:4604/01/2011

Then you may like to challenge her, regarding her knowledge of the
content.
Go...and we will hereby witness your brainless and corrupt conclusion.

Yap

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:55:1004/01/2011
On 4 Jan, 05:54, Loirbaj <Rhodi...@wmconnect.com> wrote:

Challenge her and allow us the opportunity to witness your brainless
and corrupt conclusion.

Yap

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:58:3004/01/2011
On 5 Jan, 05:06, us4z...@att.net wrote:
> "Pepsi" <Pe...@coke.com> wrote:
>
> ><us4z...@att.net> wrote in message

Idiot.
We do not answer to any sky pixie.

And, you have never in your life time find any sky daddy too......not
even a billion years from now.

Yap

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 21:59:5404/01/2011
On 5 Jan, 05:06, us4z...@att.net wrote:

Oh, you are encouraged by your stupidity, that's all.

Yap

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 22:03:2904/01/2011
On 5 Jan, 09:03, us4z...@att.net wrote:
So, you bloody molester commit the crime and read your shit book to
repent....and do all over again?
No wonder we have so many priests as molesters !

> u4z

osugeography

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 22:36:0004/01/2011
On Jan 3, 4:33 pm, Feminazi Cuntkins <jaezaeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:29:27 -0800 (PST), SkyEyes <skyey...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I've actually read the bible, cover-to-cover and in various
> >translations and languages, a number of times.  The more I read it,
> >the more underwhelmed I became.
>
> "Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat
> her over the skull with her own shin-bone."
>
> That's my favourite Mark Twain quote.
>
> FNC, unabashed Janeite

Hello, FC.

I hadn't read that one.

Twain could be harsh. A couple of dozen years ago ( + / - ) I read his
"The Literary Offenses of James Fenimore Cooper". It's a surgical
dissection of Cooper, particularly in regards to his "Leatherstocking
Tales", and the character of Natty Bumpo.

When I got out of the Navy, ages ago, in my English Lit class, I
brought up his "letters From the Earth" at a Christian college.
Dropped jaws and crickets...

Marvin

Marvin Sebourn
osugeo...@aol.com

Caranx latus

non lue,
4 janv. 2011, 23:04:2104/01/2011

"We" is you and I. Answer the question.

Olrik

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 00:27:1605/01/2011

That's because you're a spineless, brainwashed godbot.

<http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html>

Have fun!

Olrik

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 00:38:1705/01/2011

Well, firstly, you're the imbecile who post here in a.a..., dumbo.

Secondly, we don't recognize the "bible" as the so-called word of any
"god" or "gods".

Thirdly, since you also do not recognize any of the many other religions
invented by mankind, you're also an atheist.

> u4z

Loirbaj

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 03:08:3905/01/2011
> skie eyeds said

> > That's my favourite Mark Twain quote.

> > Osugarphy said

> Twain could be harsh. A couple of dozen years ago

Real name Clemments, he was a coward in time of War and a ferocious
bigot. His attacks on American Indians are indicative. Today they are
trying to cleanse some of the horrific bigotry from some of his works
and to rerelease. He slurred Blacks with the N word thousands of
times.

The ruling trait of all savages is a greedy and consuming selfishness,
and
in our Noble Red Man it is found in its amplest development. His heart
is a
cesspool of falsehood, of treachery, and of low and devilish
instincts. --
Mark Twain

Loirbaj

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 03:20:0405/01/2011
> > SkyEyes>

> Loirbaj said

> > Several times...Ok. And in several language. Mnnh..huh.
> > What makes me conclude that you're a lying atheist.

> Yap said

> Then you may like to challenge her, regarding her knowledge of the
> content.
> Go...and we will hereby witness your brainless and corrupt conclusion.

I could ask you, her, or any child virtually any question on the
Bible, nuclear physics, ordinary differential equations. And, sure
enough, the next hour or so, you'd have the right answer --that is,
with the net and google to provide answers every time. When I speak to
an atheist or any other pervert in person and they make absurd claims,
it is easy to debunk them. Because then they have no ready net access
to look up the right answers for them. Sky is so naive as to make the
wacky claim that..she continues to read the Bible in various
languages, all the while getting less from it. Not even bright enough
to know how to brag, believeably.

Father Haskell

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 03:21:0905/01/2011

50 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bucket....

> its content is full of
> lies and lies... or if you like it, man created stories full of

> contradictions and nonsense.- Hide quoted text -

Bob LeChevalier

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 03:35:4505/01/2011
us4...@att.net wrote:
>Richo <m.richa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>No - you haven't presented any factual evidence - you have presented a
>>Logical fallacy - that is that if something is popular then it is
>>true.
>
>The Holy Writ itself contains proof of God.

No it doesn't.

>It is unnecessary for me to show you my personal proof.

No one is interested in "personal" proof. You need to produce
impersonal, objective proof.

>There is no document anywhere that over-rides the authority of the Word of God.

The Bible is not the Word of God, but rather the words of men, and
therefore cannot override His authority.

>These things are non-negotiable.

[guffaw]

>Do yourself a favor and acknowledge the fact that your problems are not my words... but the Word of God itself.

You ignore the Word of God, in favor of the Idol of Fundamentalism.

>Billions upon billions of believers and printed copies of the Holy Writ testify against you.

They do no such thing. Not one such copy mentions the name "Richo".

lojbab
---
Bob LeChevalier - artificial linguist; genealogist
loj...@lojban.org Lojban language www.lojban.org

WangoTango

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 15:45:1605/01/2011
In article <6d67i6523jrjb459p...@4ax.com>, us4...@att.net
says...

> Pardon me if I'm wrong.... but aren't you the guy who has 20 Bibles?

Lots of people like to read fiction.

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 15:52:3705/01/2011
On Jan 3, 8:59 am, Devils Advocaat <mankyg...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2:50 pm, Caranx latus <kar...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > > Its amazing how easily you manage to misinterpret the data you
> > > presented on numerous occasions.
>
> > > The Bible has only been in print since the mid-1400s.
>
> > > Since then the estimate is around 6 billion plus have been published.
>
> > > You claimed in another thread that this equates to 100 million Bibles
> > > a week.
>
> > > Either you cannot do basic maths, or you like to lie.
>
> > > Which is it?
>
> > us4z strike me as the sort of person who puts 2 and 2 together and
> > comes up with 'radish'.
>
> Or possibly 'a suffusion of yellow'. :P- Hide quoted text -

Fish is being Anal about the numbers. The point was clear even if the
math was wrong.

The bible is the single most read book in the world.

Gee --I wonder why

haiku jones

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 16:34:4905/01/2011

<>

I believe his point was that if someone wants
to prove something using numbers, then that someone
better not fumble third-grade math while doing
so. That's like sending someone morbidly
obese to tout your latest Miracle Diet.

> The bible is the single most read book in the world.

I suspect you are quite right.

> Gee --I wonder why

Oh, that's easy enough: for exactly the same
reason that, if the Muslims had succeeded in
conquering all of Europe, then the Q'ran
would be the most read book in the world.

haiku

Virgil HANCHER

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 17:45:5605/01/2011
In article
<525c4aaa-40d8-4e6c...@i25g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:

The evidence of high sales does NOT prove high readership.

I have at least a half dozen bibles myself, some of which I have never
even opened.

There now would seem to be at least as many bibles in the world as
people, if not two or three bibles for each person including babies if
all those sales claims are true, but Xianity still claims only about 1
person in 3 in the world.

For the sake of the world's forests, start recycling those bibles
already extant rather than printing more!

Father Haskell

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 18:06:4005/01/2011
On Jan 4, 9:14 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:
> Father Haskell <fatherhask...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, the billions testify against you. Wait... make that billions of 'em plus 1 (me).
>
> >A billion lies are still lies.  So are a billion and one.
>
> And so they (and people like you) killed Jesus.
>
> u4z

Yes, I admit it. I killed jesus. I killed jesus with a
candlestick, in the library.

Father Haskell

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 18:12:2005/01/2011
On Jan 5, 3:52 pm, AllSeeing-I <allseei...@usa.com> wrote:

> Fish is being Anal

Common adjective, therefore not capitalized.

> about the numbers. The point was clear even if the
> math was wrong.
>
> The bible is the single most read book in the world.
>

> Gee --I wonder why- Hide quoted text -

Which version? To say the bible is the most read book
is like saying the telephone director is the most read book --
without specifying the city.

Father Haskell

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 18:14:4105/01/2011
On Jan 4, 5:06 pm, us4z...@att.net wrote:
> John Baker <john_bake...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 01:21:08 -0600, us4z...@att.net wrote:
>
> >>From replies to my recent posts concerning the billions of Bibles being sold (which has resulted in making the Bible the #1 all time best seller), I have seen
> >>that for some reason, non-believers here are overwhelmed by large numbers. More than likely this phenomenon is due to the fact that the factual evidence
> >>presented is overwhelming evidence against their very own, misguided beliefs.
>
> >>The following verses from the Holy Writ  speaks of tens if not hundreds of billions of folks.....
>
> >>After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and
> >>before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, "Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne,
> >>and unto the Lamb". (Revelation 7:9-10)
>
> >>Do what? From all nations and races? Really? Untold billions upon billions in white robes?
>
> >>Yes. It is you, the unbelieving godless pagans involved in idolatry who have problems. I am convinced. You can't really play the victim. You can't really play
> >>the race card. You can't really play the religion card. In fact............you really cannot play atall. All of your playing is just that. You have no excuse.
>
> >>I am convinced of the truth by the Word of God which is the final authority, and by the Spirit of God which is the ultimate Convincer.
>
> >>"And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me;
> >>Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged." - Jesus
>
> >>So yes, you do indeed have problems. I understand that. You need to understand that I am the least of your many problems.
>
> >>Even so all comments are welcomed. Go for it. Crank 'em up. Give me a reason to start my engine and fire from all cylinders...
>
> >>"The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it." - Jesus
>
> >>Grab one of the billions of Bibles. Pull up a chair. Let us press on and in to the kingdom of God.
>
> >And if you actually believe this bullshit, you're even dumber than I
> >thought you were.

> Pardon me if I'm wrong.... but aren't you the guy who has 20 Bibles?
>
> u4z- Hide quoted text -

One table, four chairs, that works out to about 20.

Bob LeChevalier

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 18:23:4005/01/2011
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:
>The bible is the single most read book in the world.

Evidence is lacking.

Even if the numbers were correct (which they aren't), it merely
indicates what book is most possessed, not what book is most read.
Very few people who own a Bible have read more than a small portion of
it.

And it isn't a "single book". It is one of many compilations selected
from a set of books. The KJV is not the same "book" as the Catholic
Douay Bible. It has different books within it, and there are
significant differences in the translation.

>Gee --I wonder why

Well, having the largest religion in the world trying to force it on
their kids (who don't get a choice of religion until they reach
adulthood) would probably be a factor.

But the kids don't read "the Bible"; they read *selections* or
*excerpts* from one compilation of books called "the Bible".

And just remember the recent survey which showed that atheists know
the Bible better than the average Christian.

Olrik

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 18:27:5905/01/2011

No, it was me! With a revolver, in the lounge!

So there!

Mitchell Holman

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 21:35:3905/01/2011
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote in

No, it is the most published book in the world. Millions
of copies are bought and distributed to hotel chains but does
that mean anyone actually reads them?

Caranx latus

non lue,
5 janv. 2011, 21:58:3905/01/2011
On Jan 5, 3:52 pm, AllSeeing-I <allseei...@usa.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 8:59 am, Devils Advocaat <mankyg...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > > us4z strike me as the sort of person who puts 2 and 2 together and
> > > comes up with 'radish'.
>
> > Or possibly 'a suffusion of yellow'. :P
>
> Fish is being Anal about the numbers. The point was clear even if the
> math was wrong.

If the point was clear but the math was wrong (and it was hideously
wrong to anyone who'd think about it for about 3 seconds), then why
bother introducing the match at all? You've done the same thing
yourself, [M]adeukaryote. Why do you bother to introduce arguments
that are trivially, laughably wrong to support an argument rather than
simply baldly asserting your conclusion?

> The bible is the single most read book in the world.

I would bet that it's also the single most unread book in the world.
Hotels are full of the damn things, and virtually none of them have
been opened.

> Gee --I wonder why

Devils Advocaat

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 01:53:2406/01/2011

Poor maddy, the reality is that the number of Bibles printed since the
mid-1400s may be in excess of 6 billion, this doesn't support us4z in
his/her claims about the numbers supposedly being sold and read.

The International Bulletin of Missionary Research report shows us4z to
be in error.

You can find it here:

http://www.internationalbulletin.org/archive/all/2011/1

And if you cannot be asked to examine it in full, here is an extract
from the information table in that report.

These figures are for mid-2011:

Total Population 6,988,019,000

Christians (total all kinds) 2,306,609,000

Scripture Distribution (all sources, per year)

Bibles 71,425,000

Bible Density (copies in place) 1,740 million.

So given that these figures have been arrived at by a Christian
organisation I would presume they are far more accurate than any that
us4z has been throwing around.

And be honest maddy, how many Christians have actually read the Bible
from cover to cover?

And in how many Christian churches do the clergy read the entire Bible
out to their congregation in a single year?

I can remember my religious education of my youth quite well, and
there are vast tracts of the Bible that were never read out by the
clergy, or religious educators, nor were these parts ever given to us
to read as extra study or homework.

And I would hazard a guess that for many Christians around the world
the situation would be the same.

Father Haskell

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 02:18:2106/01/2011
On Jan 5, 9:35 pm, Mitchell Holman <nom...@comcast.net> wrote:
> that mean anyone actually reads them?- Hide quoted text -

Fun to hide little "surprises" in them, like shakily scrawled
notes reading "The kidnappers are going to kill me tomorrow.
Please call the police if you find this. Timothy Jones, 6 years
old."

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 05:43:3906/01/2011
On Jan 5, 8:35 pm, Mitchell Holman <nom...@comcast.net> wrote:
> that mean anyone actually reads them?- Hide quoted text -

This is a really bad argument. I expected better from YOU

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 05:48:5406/01/2011

It is called "embellishment"

For someone that loved the dictionary, you sure seem to have a lack of
vocabulary at times.

Thought you'd like to know.

> > The bible is the single most read book in the world.
>
> I would bet that it's also the single most unread book in the world.
> Hotels are full of the damn things, and virtually none of them have
> been opened.

Lame argument. Hotels MIGHT account for 1% of the total consumed
bibles.

The numbers of hotels in existence today is a recent phenomenon on the
time line of the bible's existence.

No wonder you guys believe in evolution. Bad argument and bad
analogies are abound in your peer group

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 05:55:0806/01/2011
> the situation would be the same.- Hide quoted text -

No argument from me that many Christians own a bible but have no idea
what it actually says, or means for that matter. If they did, they
would not behave as they do.

Nevertheless, the bible is certainly one of the most printed and most
owned books in existence. To deny that is to deny reality. This was
utz's point. His point was evident. Fish took the conversation in the
direction of numbers. Which took focus off of the central point.

Devils Advocaat

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 06:20:3006/01/2011

But do you accept the numbers quoted by us4z such as 100 million
Bibles sold every week for example doesn't fit the actual data
presented by a legitimate Christian organisation, in other words the
one that publishes the International Bulletin of Missionary Research?

Mitchell Holman

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 08:15:3906/01/2011

> On Jan 5, 8:35�pm, Mitchell Holman <nom...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> AllSeeing-I <allseei...@usa.com> wrote

>> innews:525c4aaa-40d8-4e6c-b767-562
> a1e0...@i25g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

>> > The bible is the single most read book in the world.
>>
>> � � No, it is the most published book in the world. Millions
>> of copies are bought and distributed to hotel chains but does
>> that mean anyone actually reads them?- Hide quoted text -

> This is a really bad argument. I expected better from YOU

Actually it is proof positive of the fallacy of
your argument. Publication and reading are two different
events. Do you really think every Gideons bible is read?

Mitchell Holman

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 08:23:1606/01/2011

> No argument from me that many Christians own a bible but have no idea
> what it actually says, or means for that matter. If they did, they
> would not behave as they do.
>
> Nevertheless, the bible is certainly one of the most printed and most
> owned books in existence.

Printed does not mean read. Ever pick up a Gideon's
bible in a hotel room and noticed that it had never been
opened before?

Caranx latus

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 08:29:2306/01/2011

Is that what you call it? Okay, fine. So why do you embellish through
your teeth as often as you do?

> For someone that loved the dictionary, you sure seem to have a lack of
> vocabulary at times.
>
> Thought you'd like to know.
>
> > > The bible is the single most read book in the world.
>
> > I would bet that it's also the single most unread book in the world.
> > Hotels are full of the damn things, and virtually none of them have
> > been opened.
>
> Lame argument. Hotels MIGHT account for 1% of the total consumed
> bibles.
>
> The numbers of hotels in existence today is a recent phenomenon on the
> time line of the bible's existence.
>
> No wonder you guys believe in evolution. Bad argument and bad
> analogies are abound in your peer group

You've already more than demonstrated that you can't distinguish good
arguments from bad, and analogies confuse the hell out of you.

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 10:28:4006/01/2011

Clearly you do not understand the word "embellishment". Which means
you never get to lecture me about the textbook definition of a word,
ever again. Just as you have done so many times in the past Mr. Fish.

Here is the correct use.

Someone "lies through their teeth"

Someone "embellishes" a story to stress a point.

The point that was embellished, and therefore being stressed by utz,
was that the bible is immensely popular. He embellished the numbers to
stress that point.

It is like saying "I ate a hundred pounds of fish and chips because I
love them so much". Everyone knows you did not really eat 100 pounds
of chips and fish. Most of us anyway, maybe not you.

Utz's point obviously flew over your head because you do not
understand, nor do you recognize the use of the word, embellishment.

> > For someone that loved the dictionary, you sure seem to have a lack of
> > vocabulary at times.
>
> > Thought you'd like to know.

> > > I would bet that it's also the single most unread book in the world.
> > > Hotels are full of the damn things, and virtually none of them have
> > > been opened.
>
> > Lame argument. Hotels MIGHT account for 1% of the total consumed
> > bibles.
>
> > The numbers of hotels in existence today is a recent phenomenon on the
> > time line of the bible's existence.
>
> > No wonder you guys believe in evolution. Bad argument and bad
> > analogies are abound in your peer group
>
> You've already more than demonstrated that you can't distinguish good

> arguments from bad, and analogies confuse the hell out of you.- Hide quoted text

How would you know? YOU do not understand what embellishment is!

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 10:31:2606/01/2011

I accept that the bible is one of the most published and most owned
books in existence. The numbers are unimportant other then to prove a
point.

Would you agree?

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 10:42:0906/01/2011
On Jan 6, 7:23 am, Mitchell Holman <nom...@comcast.net> wrote:

This argument must be printed on an atheist website somewhere. I have
addressed it several times.

On the time line of the bible's existence, motels are a recent
phenomenon.

Therefore Gideon's bibles do not greatly skew the ratio between bibles
already owned by people that made the choice to own them and bibles
that exist for generic use.

Furthermore, I never read an atheist mention how many bibles may have
been picked up by a motel patron, and read. To claim the number is
zero would be unscientific.

To put it simply, your motel argument does not hold water.

haiku jones

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 11:19:4506/01/2011

The motel example is just that: an illustration of
Mitchell's point that "printed does not mean read".
I was given a Bible for Christmas, but I have not
read it.

(didn't have too, as I spent twenty
years doing so, before I got better)

haiku

Devils Advocaat

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 11:26:5906/01/2011

I would have said that the numbers are important if they are supposed
to prove the point regarding popularity.

But as you can see the numbers in the source I have provided show
there are far fewer Bibles in place than there are Christians on the
planet. Which actually shows the claims made by us4z to be in error
regarding the number of Bibles out there.

Also as there has been no study done to demonstrate that every copy
currently in place has been read from cover to cover us4z can be shown
to be in error regarding that claim too.

haiku jones

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 12:17:4106/01/2011

<>

And hey: unlike us4z's point, your source isn't over a century
old!

haiku

Caranx latus

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 12:40:3906/01/2011

em·bel·lish
–verb (used with object)
2. to enhance (a statement or narrative) with fictitious additions.

[M]adeutherian, *you* don't distinguish between fiction and lies. Why
should I?

Something else for you to look up:
<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/euphemism>

<snip>

> > > For someone that loved the dictionary, you sure seem to have a lack of
> > > vocabulary at times.
>
> > > Thought you'd like to know.

> > > Lame argument. Hotels MIGHT account for 1% of the total consumed
> > > bibles.
>
> > > The numbers of hotels in existence today is a recent phenomenon on the
> > > time line of the bible's existence.
>
> > > No wonder you guys believe in evolution. Bad argument and bad
> > > analogies are abound in your peer group
>
> > You've already more than demonstrated that you can't distinguish good
> > arguments from bad, and analogies confuse the hell out of you.
>

> How would you know? YOU do not understand what embellishment is!

Thanks for the non sequitur.

Bob LeChevalier

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 14:22:5506/01/2011
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:
>The numbers of hotels in existence today is a recent phenomenon on the
>time line of the bible's existence.

So is the alleged number of Bible sales.

Bob LeChevalier

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 14:33:1106/01/2011
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:
>Here is the correct use.
>
>Someone "lies through their teeth"
>
>Someone "embellishes" a story to stress a point.

That's fine for fictional story-telling.

"Embellishing" an argument is called "lying through your teeth". Try
it in a court of law, and you'll have a good chance at a perjury
conviction.

>The point that was embellished,

you mean "lied about".

BTW - the better word is not "embellished", but rather "exaggerated".

>and therefore being stressed by utz,
>was that the bible is immensely popular.

So are Harry Potter books.

>He embellished the numbers to stress that point.

The effect of his embellishment was to get laughed at.

>It is like saying "I ate a hundred pounds of fish and chips because I
>love them so much". Everyone knows you did not really eat 100 pounds
>of chips and fish. Most of us anyway, maybe not you.

Again, if you said "I ate a hundred pounds of fish and chips" in a
courtroom, you'd better have really eaten 100 pounds.

>Utz's point obviously flew over your head because you do not
>understand, nor do you recognize the use of the word, embellishment.

The word is irrelevant. The act, if practiced during a quasi-serious
argument, makes someone look like a fool.

>> > No wonder you guys believe in evolution. Bad argument and bad
>> > analogies are abound in your peer group
>>
>> You've already more than demonstrated that you can't distinguish good
>> arguments from bad, and analogies confuse the hell out of you.- Hide quoted text
>
>How would you know? YOU do not understand what embellishment is!

Good arguments do not use "embellishment" (or exaggeration). Comedians
and childrens' storytellers use "embellishment".

Bob LeChevalier

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 14:36:1706/01/2011
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:
>I accept that the bible is one of the most published and most owned
>books in existence. The numbers are unimportant other then to prove a
>point.

The numbers are unimportant other than to prove a liar, who therefore
shouldn't be believed about anything else that he claims.

Devils Advocaat

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 14:49:1706/01/2011
It pays to seek out accurate data on any issue.

But the credit isn't mine.

Bob LeChevalier

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 15:02:3506/01/2011
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:
>On Jan 6, 7:23�am, Mitchell Holman <nom...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> AllSeeing-I <allseei...@usa.com> wrote innews:6edd6631-1c70-4837...@z19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:
>>

>> > No argument from me that many Christians own a bible but have no idea
>> > what it actually says, or means for that matter. If they did, they
>> > would not behave as they do.
>>
>> > Nevertheless, the bible is certainly one of the most printed and most
>> > owned books in existence.
>>
>> � � Printed does not mean read. Ever pick up a Gideon's
>> bible in a hotel room and noticed that it had never been
>> opened before?
>
>This argument must be printed on an atheist website somewhere. I have
>addressed it several times.
>
>On the time line of the bible's existence, motels are a recent
>phenomenon.

The Gideon Society started distributing Bibles in 1908, more than 100
years ago. They claim to have distributed more than 1.6 billion
Bibles and New Testaments worldwide, including more than 700 million
in the last 10 years.

http://www.gideons.org/AboutUs/WorldwideImpact.aspx

So. If the distributed 1.6 billion in 100 years and 700 million in
the last 10 years (and 80 million in the last year), that means that
they distributed only 900 million in the previous 90 years, or about
1/8 of the current rate. It means that Bible distribution is a
rapidly expanding endeavor. It therefore also indicates that the
number of Bibles in, say, 1900, was MUCH fewer than the number today.
Maybe 1/8 as many, since there weren't any other organizations back
then doing mass distribution of Bibles.

So motels are a recent phenomenon, but so are large numbers of Bibles.

If they have distributed 700 million in the last 10 years, but there
are only 1.74 billion bibles in place according to the other source,
then the Gideons account for 40% of all Bibles in the world.
http://www.internationalbulletin.org/archive/all/2011/1

This put a rather big dent in the numbers of Bibles "sold", if 40% of
them are given away by just ONE of the many groups that gives away
Bibles.

If there are 1.74 billion Bibles today, and my estimate of 1/8 were
valid, that would mean that there were only around 220 million Bibles
in 1908. If one extrapolates the 8 fold multiplication back in time,
we get 28 million in 1808, 3.5 million in 1708, 400,000 in 1608,
50,000 in 1508, and maybe 10,000 at the time of Gutenberg, so the
extrapolation is quite believable.

But

>Therefore Gideon's bibles do not greatly skew the ratio between bibles
>already owned by people that made the choice to own them and bibles
>that exist for generic use.

If 40% of all Bibles are distributed by the Gideons, it most certainly
DOES skew the numbers

>Furthermore, I never read an atheist mention how many bibles may have
>been picked up by a motel patron, and read. To claim the number is
>zero would be unscientific.

The Gideons say that 25% of hotel patrons read a Bible. But it is safe
to say that NO ONE read a Bible cover to cover while in a motel room.

Generally a claim that "X people have read a book", does not mean "X
people have picked up the book and read a page or two".

I rather suspect that the number of people who have read the Bible
cover to cover (and I am one of them) is smaller than the number of
people who have read one of the Harry Potter books cover to cover.

>To put it simply, your motel argument does not hold water.

Whereas your argument is more like passing water.

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 15:40:0206/01/2011
> Thanks for the non sequitur.- Hide quoted text -

So you think it is not common to "embellish" a story to stress a
point? Gee. You really do live in another world

haiku jones

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 15:43:4806/01/2011

<sigh>

Of course one embellishes a good story or joke
to make it better. That's merely good story telling.

One does not embellish facts -- in this case
numbers -- when one is trying to prove a factual
point. When done in an everyday context
this is called "lying"; when done under oath
it is termed "perjury".

haiku

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 15:50:5506/01/2011
On Jan 6, 1:33 pm, Bob LeChevalier <loj...@lojban.org> wrote:

It may not make a good argument but that is not the point. It was
"implied" through the embellishment, (or the exaggeration, which ever
you prefer), that many bibles exist, therefore they must be popular.
THAT was his point.

To argue about the numbers is detracting from the point. Other then
the numbers, no one has made a good case yet for why the bible may NOT
being as popular as Utz claimed. So the numbers are a bad argument.

The All Seeing I - holder of the truth

haiku jones

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 15:54:3806/01/2011

<>

I just took a quick poll on this. 1.3 billion people
thought you were wrong.

haiku

Caranx latus

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 15:59:1506/01/2011
> So you think it is not common to "embellish" a story to stress a
> point? Gee. You really do live in another world

I do. It's called Earth. Not entirely sure how things work on the
planet you're from.

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:01:4806/01/2011
> planet you're from.- Hide quoted text -

It is not me that does not understand the word embelishment can take
on a variety of uses --one of them being to stress a point.

THAT would be you.

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:02:2906/01/2011
> haiku- Hide quoted text -

arf arf arf

seal claps for you huiku!

AllSeeing-I

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:06:4806/01/2011
> to be in error regarding that claim too.- Hide quoted text -

Not really. No one can pinpoint the exact amount of bibles in use.
Unless you ask each person that owns one. So your "study" argument is
equally as invalid as the "numbers" argument.

The numbers argument is actually a better one because it was simply
used to embellish an already existing frame of thought. OTOH, Your
"study" can be skewed for numerous reasons.

Virgil

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:07:5706/01/2011
In article
<6edd6631-1c70-4837...@z19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:

> No argument from me that many Christians own a bible but have no idea
> what it actually says, or means for that matter. If they did, they
> would not behave as they do.
>
> Nevertheless, the bible is certainly one of the most printed and most
> owned books in existence. To deny that is to deny reality. This was
> utz's point. His point was evident. Fish took the conversation in the
> direction of numbers. Which took focus off of the central point.

If mere numbers printed and sold were proof of truth, you make a good
case for the truth of Mao's little red book!

And note that popularity of a belief has never been evidence of its
truth.

Consider the once nearly universal beliefs in a flat earth and earth as
the center of the universe with the sun and planets and stars all
rotating about it.

Caranx latus

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:11:1806/01/2011

I can only presume that the original point was made in the original
post for this thread, which is coincidentally named "Crank it up:
billions of Bibles... and believers". If you were to read that post,
you'd find out that it's virtually entirely about using the numbers as
the basis for the argument. If the numbers detract from the argument,
then perhaps us4z shouldn't have introduced them in this or several
other threads. Wouldn't you agree?

Virgil

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:11:4406/01/2011
In article
<3cabdada-286a-4cc7...@w2g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 7:23 am, Mitchell Holman <nom...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > AllSeeing-I <allseei...@usa.com> wrote
> > innews:6edd6631-1c70-4837...@z19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:
> >

> > > No argument from me that many Christians own a bible but have no idea
> > > what it actually says, or means for that matter. If they did, they
> > > would not behave as they do.
> >
> > > Nevertheless, the bible is certainly one of the most printed and most
> > > owned books in existence.
> >
> >     Printed does not mean read. Ever pick up a Gideon's
> > bible in a hotel room and noticed that it had never been
> > opened before?
>
> This argument must be printed on an atheist website somewhere. I have
> addressed it several times.
>
> On the time line of the bible's existence, motels are a recent
> phenomenon.

Hotels are not.

Besides which, Xian groups distribute millions of bibles freely every
year to those who do not ask for them.

If there were as many Xians as there are bibles in print, then no other
religions could exist.

Virgil

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:12:5606/01/2011
In article
<2febd37d-9a18-4382...@j29g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:

> I accept that the bible is one of the most published and most owned
> books in existence. The numbers are unimportant other then to prove a
> point.

The point being that that is a huge waste of perfectly good trees.

Devils Advocaat

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:14:1106/01/2011

I never said they could, but us4z seems to believe differently.

> Unless you ask each person that owns one. So your "study" argument is
> equally as invalid as the "numbers" argument.

All I have said is that no study in such depth has ever been done.

How is that an invalid argument?

> The numbers argument is actually a better one because it was simply
> used to embellish an already existing frame of thought.

Embellishment with inaccurate figures is the equivalent of lying.

Didn't you know that maddy?

> OTOH, Your
> "study" can be skewed for numerous reasons.

I have made no study maddy.

I simply provided a more accurate source for the figures regarding how
many Bibles are distributed and how many are in place.

How can that be skewed by anyone?

Virgil

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:15:1106/01/2011
In article
<86041c35-6989-4389...@l17g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:

> The numbers of hotels in existence today is a recent phenomenon on the
> time line of the bible's existence.

But Xians give away millions of bibles every year to those who have not
asked for them in an attempt to lead them into bondage.

Virgil

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:17:2506/01/2011
In article
<0e7fa969-95e0-4755...@i18g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:

> The point that was embellished, and therefore being stressed by utz,
> was that the bible is immensely popular. He embellished the numbers to
> stress that point.

Among civilized people such "embellishment" is called lying.

Caranx latus

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:17:4806/01/2011
> It is not me that does not understand the word embelishment can take
> on a variety of uses --one of them being to stress a point.
>
> THAT would be you.

Tell me something. When you "embellish" your claim that evolution
isn't real by posting URLs to sites that claim that T. rex teeth only
have 2" roots, what's the real point of what you're trying to
accomplish? If you think that that too is an example of
"embellishment", it really is no wonder at all why you can't
distinguish good arguments from bad ones. There is no circumstance
where using a falsehood to support a claim is anything except a Bad
Argument.

Virgil

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:24:4106/01/2011
In article
<b951ceaa-675d-4f81...@w17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
AllSeeing-I <allse...@usa.com> wrote:

> > > The bible is the single most read book in the world.
> >

> >     No, it is the most published book in the world. Millions
> > of copies are bought and distributed to hotel chains but does
> > that mean anyone actually reads them?- Hide quoted text -

> This is a really bad argument. I expected better from YOU

The printing, and even the sale, of large numbers of a single book does
not establish that even one person has read it.

At Xmas and on my Birthday I get lots of books that I will never read.

And I have been given, and inherited, a number of bibles which I will
never read, and have not even seen since the last time I moved.

And I know of no book which has been as frequently misused.

Ralph

non lue,
6 janv. 2011, 16:49:0706/01/2011
On 1/6/2011 5:43 AM, AllSeeing-I wrote:
> On Jan 5, 8:35 pm, Mitchell Holman<nom...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> AllSeeing-I<allseei...@usa.com> wrote innews:525c4aaa-40d8-4e6c...@i25g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

>>> eing sold

>>> Fish is being Anal about the numbers. The point was clear even if the
>>> math was wrong.
>>
>>> The bible is the single most read book in the world.
>>
>> No, it is the most published book in the world. Millions
>> of copies are bought and distributed to hotel chains but does
>> that mean anyone actually reads them?- Hide quoted text -

> This is a really bad argument. I expected better from YOU

What is your documentation that the bibles are actually read??

Chargement d'autres messages en cours.
0 nouveau message