Configuring Inbound eMail

Marcelo Szkatulak

Apr 12, 2016, 11:22:47 PM4/12/16
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Hi Guys!

Thank you for accepting joining the group, I try to help as I go learning.

Some time ago I knew Alfresco and I´m trying to set a test environment. I´m writing all the steps as I do and in this moment I have a problem setting up the Inbound Email. The outbound Email is setted and works fine. I made the following configuration for Outbound / Inbound email using a gMail email account:

#Begin Email Configuration for OUTBOUND email - It Works OK!!! :-)

#Ejemplo de configuración con gMail
mail.host=smtp.gmail.com
mail.port=465
mail.username=my-gmail...@gmail.com
mail.password=my-gmail-password
mail.protocol=smtps
mail.smtps.starttls.enable=true
mail.smtps.auth=true
mail.from.default=my-gmail...@gmail.com

#END Email Configuration for OUTBOUND email

#Begin Email Configuration for INBOUND email
#
# Alfresco Email Service and Email Server
#-------------
# Enable/Disable the inbound email service.  The service could be used by processes other than
# the Email Server (e.g. direct RMI access) so this flag is independent of the Email Service.
#-------------
email.inbound.enabled=true

# Email Server properties
#-------------
email.server.enabled=true
email.server.port=465
email.server.domain=pop.gmail.com
email.inbound.unknownUser=anonymous
# A comma separated list of email REGEX patterns of allowed senders.
# If there are any values in the list then all sender email addresses
# must match. For example:

#   .*\@alfresco\.com, .*\@alfresco\.org
# Allow anyone:
#-------------
#email.server.allowed.senders=.*

#END Email Configuration for INBOUND email

In the INBOUND CONFIGURATION, in the line

email.server.port=465

Things I´ve tried
  1. Ports 465,995,25,2525 or 110 port values and there was no email.
  2. In the Alfresco folder I made for the inbound email, I used as a label the name of the email account. (my-gmail...@gmail.com)
  3. I look for the sent emails in my-gmail...@gmail.com (the Alfresco´s test user) and I have receipt the emails sent from other email user.
  4. In the Alfresco Server (Windows Server 2012 R2) I´ve disabled the firewall.
Any idea????

Thanks in advance

Marcelo

Jeff Potts

Apr 13, 2016, 10:02:02 AM4/13/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Marcelo,

Inbound email is not meant to pull email from an existing email account via POP, which is what it seems like you might be trying to do.

Instead, inbound email is meant to configure Alfresco as an SMTP server listener. When enabled, it will listen for SMTP traffic on the port specified. So if you are going to send email to it, you'll need an MX record for your Alfresco server and you'll need to configure your corporate gmail account to use a sub-domain or similar to route mail bound for your Alfresco server to Alfresco.

For example, if your domain is someco.com, inbound email would allow you to send email to some-...@alfresco.someco.com. Your corporate email server that listens for email at someco.com would get the message, see that it is meant for a sub-domain, and route the message to Alfresco on the port you configured. Alfresco will then verify that the sender is in the EMAIL_CONTRIBUTORS group and is a valid Alfresco user based on their email address, see the email alias ("some-folder"), verify that the sender has write access to the folder referenced by that alias, and place the email and any attachments in that folder.

Jeff

Marcelo E. S. Colio

Apr 13, 2016, 5:56:11 PM4/13/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your quick answer. I'm really amazed that you are the first to answer! I've been learning from your video series and I've just seen that explain how to make an inbound email server.
A company where I am trying to establish Alfresco receives from one of its employees photos and descriptions of homes that are for sale and thought it would be a good idea to incorporate this feature. I wanted to try in my test environment with a free gmail address (for now) and if the test result was promising and directors saw the project, continue with something more serious like a corporate email. Is it possible to do this in a test environment?
In your email you're talking about something called MX, can you tell me where to read more about this because I have no idea what it is?

Thank you again

Marcelo

Jeff Potts

Apr 13, 2016, 10:41:58 PM4/13/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I do not think you will be able to do this with free gmail accounts, but maybe someone else has thoughts.

I have recently written some code that will work with Amazon SES as an inbound email feed into Alfresco but you'd have to pay for Amazon S3 storage so it is not completely free.

An MX record is a type of DNS entry that tells the network which IP address handles mail for a given domain.

Jeff

Victor Mutisya

Jan 12, 2017, 4:11:35 PM1/12/17
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Hi Jeff,

I have been able to follow several post on how to configure inbound email but I am not able to get it working. No error logs is also shown. This is my configs

1. alfresco-global.properties

 ### Inbound setting ###
email.inbound.unknownUser=anonymous
email.inbound.enabled=true
email.server.enabled=true
email.server.port=2025( I can telnet this port as I port forwarded from 25 to 2025)
email.server.domain=<Ip Address of my mail server>
email.server.allowed.senders=.*

2. I have created a user in alfresco victor@(mydomain.org)

3. Created a folder with Email alias as victor

4. Added Victor to EMAIL_CONTRIBUTOR group

5. I am now sending email to victor@(mydomain.org) but when I check the alfresco email folder I cannot see any email. Also no error logs generated despite having added debug logs

On your above email I also did not understand this part "inbound email would allow you to send email to some-...@alfresco.someco.com. ". Should I create an email like
victor@alfresco.(mydomain.org) in my email server?

NOTE: I am able to send outbound mails using victor@(mydomain.org)

Kindly assist on where I might be going wrong.
mail.password=my-gmail-password
mail.protocol=smtps
mail.smtps.starttls.enable=true
mail.smtps.auth=true
mail.from.default=my-gmail-acc...@gmail.com

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/alfresco-technical-discussion.

Younes REGAIEG

Jan 13, 2017, 7:17:17 AM1/13/17
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Victor,

Long story short,
1- add create some A/AAA dns record pointing to your alfresco server IP address (if you already have one but still which to have a different name for it, you can add a CNAME record pointing to the existing hostname).
2- add an mx record for <your alfresco domain> (can be alfresco.your-domain.tld, or your-domain.tld, or any other hostname)
3- Send an email to victor@<your alfresco domain> and it will show up in the Aliased folder

Kind regards,
Younes

Jeff Potts

Jan 13, 2017, 9:25:57 PM1/13/17
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Good suggestions!

Also, I always like to send an email from the local machine directly to the SMTP port on the alfresco server to eliminate any routing issues that may be happening upstream.

Jeff

Med Taher Bouzid

Jul 5, 2017, 11:21:54 AM7/5/17
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Hello Jeff
Please can you send me the configuration of inbound mail when we are using gmail accounts  ( ports ; domain ?? )
I have tried
email.server.port=993
email.server.domain=imap.gmail.com
and that does not work .
Does any one have the answer ?

On Jan 13, 2017, at 6:17 AM, Younes REGAIEG <y.re...@gmail.com> wrote:

Victor,

Long story short,
1- add create some A/AAA dns record pointing to your alfresco server IP address (if you already have one but still which to have a different name for it, you can add a CNAME record pointing to the existing hostname).
2- add an mx record for <your alfresco domain> (can be alfresco.your-domain.tld, or your-domain.tld, or any other hostname)
3- Send an email to victor@<your alfresco domain> and it will show up in the Aliased folder

Kind regards,
Younes

Younes REGAIEG

Jul 5, 2017, 11:38:54 AM7/5/17
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Mohamed,

It is actually impossible to hook alfresco to listen for emails on @gmail.com, at least not directly, you can only do that for domains you can control!

What I can advise on the other hand is the following :
1- Purchase a domain name if you do not already have one.
2- Set DNS record as I suggested for Victor
3- Setup email forwarding in gmail to transfer all of your mails (or a subset of them based on some filters) to alias@<your alfresco domain>

Best regards,
Younes

Jeff Potts

Jul 6, 2017, 3:28:31 PM7/6/17
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Younes, but I want to add a little more to the explanation...

When we are talking about inbound email you are essentially configuring Alfresco to be an SMTP server that will listen for incoming SMTP traffic. So email.server.port and email.server.domain in this context establishes the port and domain that Alfresco will listen to. Setting those values to gmail does not make sense in that context.

Jeff

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Younes REGAIEG <y.re...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mohamed,

It is actually impossible to hook alfresco to listen for emails on @gmail.com, at least not directly, you can only do that for domains you can control!

What I can advise on the other hand is the following :
1- Purchase a domain name if you do not already have one.
2- Set DNS record as I suggested for Victor
3- Setup email forwarding in gmail to transfer all of your mails (or a subset of them based on some filters) to alias@<your alfresco domain>

Best regards,
Younes

Angel MB

Oct 4, 2017, 8:10:56 PM10/4/17
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Hi guys!, first and foremost, apologize for my english.
I have the same problem in my enterprise.
my email server domain is "alfrescochap.com" because communications guys tell me that create a subdomain under the principal domain is not allowed for safety.
But it`s not working:
14:04:42,133  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] SMTP connection count: 1
14:04:42,134  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 220 alfrescochap.com  ESMTP SubEthaSMTP
14:04:42,181  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Client: EHLO EUR01-DB5-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com
14:04:42,181  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 250-alfrescochap.com
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 Ok
14:04:42,228  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Client: STARTTLS
14:04:42,228  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 220 Ready to start TLS
14:04:42,455  WARN  [smtp.command.StartTLSCommand] startTLS() failed: no cipher suites in common
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: no cipher suites in common
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:174)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1649)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:241)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:231)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ServerHandshaker.chooseCipherSuite(ServerHandshaker.java:787)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ServerHandshaker.clientHello(ServerHandshaker.java:557)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ServerHandshaker.processMessage(ServerHandshaker.java:151)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:593)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Handshaker.java:529)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:893)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1138)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1165)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1149)
    at org.subethamail.smtp.command.StartTLSCommand.execute(StartTLSCommand.java:57)
    at org.subethamail.smtp.server.CommandHandler.handleCommand(CommandHandler.java:58)
    at org.subethamail.smtp.server.ConnectionHandler.run(ConnectionHandler.java:113)
14:04:42,455  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 450 Problem attempting to execute commands. Please try again later.
14:04:42,455  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
14:04:42,549  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] SMTP connection count: 1
14:04:42,549  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 220 alfrescochap.com  ESMTP SubEthaSMTP
14:04:42,596  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Client: EHLO EUR01-DB5-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com
14:04:42,596  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 250-alfrescochap.com
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 Ok
14:04:42,679  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Client: MAIL FROM:<amar...@ayesa.com>
14:04:42,681  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 250 Ok
14:04:42,764  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Client: RCPT TO:<buzonA...@alfrescochap.com>
14:04:42,764  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 250 Ok
14:04:42,846  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Client: DATA
14:04:42,846  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
14:04:43,164  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 554 La dirección correo electrónico '"buzonA...@alfrescochap.com" <buzonA...@alfrescochap.com>' no hace referencia a un nodo de acceso válido.
14:04:43,256  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Client: QUIT
14:04:43,256  DEBUG [smtp.server.ConnectionHandler] Server: 221 Bye

can you help me?

Best regards.