Suddenly getting AuthenticationError.CLIENT_CUSTOMER_ID_IS_REQUIRED

James Andrews

Jun 8, 2018, 1:43:41 PM6/8/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Our software has been working for months with no issues, tonight suddenly all of our Adwords tokens throw this error.

AuthenticationError.CLIENT_CUSTOMER_ID_IS_REQUIRED

Is something broken?  Is there a place we can go to see what the status of an API is if there are problems?

Thanks,
James

Teja Makani

Jun 8, 2018, 5:44:51 PM6/8/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello James,

AuthenticationError.CLIENT_CUSTOMER_ID_IS_REQUIRED means Client customer ID was not specified in the HTTP header. Could you please confirm that the file from where you are reading the client customer id is still valid and that, the field has not been commented out? Also, if using java, are you getting this error when you run GetCampaigns.java? For other programming languages, please refer here.

Regards,
Sai Teja, AdWords API Team.

James Andrews

Jun 8, 2018, 6:00:15 PM6/8/18
to adwordsapia...@google.com, AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello Sai,

Yes I have read the documentation I know what it means.  As I stated the error started without any code changes.  It was doing this for multiple accounts that we manage.  It was not just this one account.  The problem has since gone away, so I don’t know what the deal was, but it seems like it was an issue with the API and not with anything I was doing.

James

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/373e9aa8-e60e-43d7-ab39-a74c5c39f48d%40googlegroups.com.

James Andrews

Jun 9, 2018, 5:30:18 AM6/9/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
This has been happening sporadically, and just happened again for two of our client accounts.  When I see the error I go in and manually test the problem (with the same php code) and the error doesn't happen.

James

Ondřej P

Jun 11, 2018, 6:14:10 AM6/11/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi,

I have the same issue since 8.6.2018.
SOAP request:
<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<soapenv:Header>

<ns1:RequestHeader xmlns:ns1="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/mcm/v201802" soapenv:mustUnderstand="0">

<ns2:developerToken xmlns:ns2="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201802">REDACTED</ns2:developerToken>

<ns3:userAgent xmlns:ns3="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201802">ROI-Hunter (AwApi-Java, AdWords-Axis/3.12.0, Common-Java/3.12.0, Axis/1.4, Java/1.8.0_91, maven)</ns3:userAgent>

<ns4:validateOnly xmlns:ns4="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201802">false</ns4:validateOnly>

<ns5:partialFailure xmlns:ns5="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201802">false</ns5:partialFailure>

</ns1:RequestHeader>

</soapenv:Header>

<soapenv:Body>

<getCustomers xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/mcm/v201802"/>

</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

Response:
<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">

<soap:Header>

<ResponseHeader xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/mcm/v201802" xmlns:ns2="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201802">

<ns2:requestId>00056e5a331a80000a1b6f439c090121</ns2:requestId>

<ns2:serviceName>CustomerService</ns2:serviceName>

<ns2:methodName>getCustomers</ns2:methodName>

<ns2:operations>1</ns2:operations>

<ns2:responseTime>225</ns2:responseTime>

</ResponseHeader>

</soap:Header>

<soap:Body>

<soap:Fault>

<faultcode>soap:Server</faultcode>

<faultstring>[AuthenticationError.CLIENT_CUSTOMER_ID_IS_REQUIRED @ ; trigger:'&lt;null&gt;']</faultstring>

<detail>

<ApiExceptionFault xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/mcm/v201802" xmlns:ns2="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201802">

<ns2:message>[AuthenticationError.CLIENT_CUSTOMER_ID_IS_REQUIRED @ ; trigger:'&lt;null&gt;']</ns2:message>

<ns2:ApplicationException.Type>ApiException</ns2:ApplicationException.Type>

<ns2:errors xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:type="ns2:AuthenticationError">

<ns2:fieldPath/>

<ns2:trigger>&lt;null&gt;</ns2:trigger>

<ns2:errorString>AuthenticationError.CLIENT_CUSTOMER_ID_IS_REQUIRED</ns2:errorString>

<ns2:ApiError.Type>AuthenticationError</ns2:ApiError.Type>

<ns2:reason>CLIENT_CUSTOMER_ID_IS_REQUIRED</ns2:reason>

</ns2:errors>

</ApiExceptionFault>

</detail>

</soap:Fault>

</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

James Andrews

Jun 11, 2018, 6:17:22 AM6/11/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Well glad it's not just me, not glad that either of us have to deal with this.  I am still getting these errors intermittently.  Are they always called?  or do they show up intermittently for you as well?

James

Ondřej P

Jun 11, 2018, 6:44:22 AM6/11/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi James,

it happens intermittently during the getCustomers API call.

Ondrej

James Andrews

Jun 11, 2018, 7:44:55 AM6/11/18
to ondra....@gmail.com, AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
I had left it alone over the weekend, to see if it fixed itself, and was just digging into why it was happening, I’ll look there as well and confirm that’s where the error is happening.

Thanks
James

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum" group.

Caihua Du

Jun 11, 2018, 2:21:11 PM6/11/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
This issue happened to us too. Lots of client have the same errors and it suddenly shows up from 6/8 and nothing has been changed from our side.

In our code, we will have to pass in an empty client customer id in order to get back all the accounts under this customer. Not sure what has been changed from API side.

Please help take a look, thanks!
Caihua.

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Jun 11, 2018, 4:51:44 PM6/11/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. I've raised it and will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

Thanks,
Josh, AdWords API Team

James Andrews

Jun 11, 2018, 5:00:59 PM6/11/18
to adwordsapia...@google.com, AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Thank you Josh!

James

Alon Diamant

Jun 11, 2018, 6:44:03 PM6/11/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
I can confirm that we have also been affected by this bug.

Alon Diamant

Jun 11, 2018, 6:51:45 PM6/11/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hey there Caihua,

Mind sharing what you by "empty client customer ID"? I send in an empty string or a null in clientCustomerId and I still get the same AuthenticationError.CLIENT_CUSTOMER_ID_IS_REQUIRED error.

Thanks,

Alon

James Andrews

Jun 13, 2018, 9:45:35 AM6/13/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
These errors have disappeared.  Not sure what happened but wanted to report what I am seeing in our environment.

James

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Jun 13, 2018, 11:07:18 AM6/13/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi James,

Thanks for the update. We rolled out a fix for this yesterday and the error rate returned to normal since then. If anyone else is still unexpectedly encountering this error, please reply back here.

Cheers,
Josh, AdWords API Team
James

For more options, visit this group at
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum" group.

Alon Diamant

Jun 13, 2018, 11:48:26 AM6/13/18
to adwordsapia...@google.com, AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Fixed for us too. Thanks!