Re: [Passport] Digest for PassportOwners@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 2 topics

Robert Settle

Dec 2, 2016, 12:01:31 PM12/2/16
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Re: the Yacht Specialties steering pedestal -apparently there were
slight mods during their production runs for this pedestal with
materials used in manufacture.
The shaft bearings in mine are some kind of linen/fiber plastic
matrix. Not bakelite but similar in that it's a red material. No
roller pin bearings as some report as having. Mine had "never" been
serviced and the whole system works very well after cleaning and
greasing these. They will obviously need shorter lube intervals than
the ones with roller bearings.

The aluminum housing ring under the compass is held by four 4" long
stainless machine screws. All the screws had welded themselves with
dissimilar metal corrosion to the aluminum housing. All the heads
broke off. My welder used a TIG torch to artfully weld nuts to the
remaining stubs and all eventually came out with no damage to the
housing with careful coaxing. Saved me a ton of bucks as there would
be no other option than to buy new. After Awlgripping everything I
think I'll get another decade or more out of it.