Granny bars or mast pulpit

Francisco Garuti

Dec 5, 2016, 7:48:53 PM12/5/16
to Passport Owners

I searched around the group and found no mention or discussion of granny bars (or mast pulpit as some call them). Nobody has retrofitted some to their Passports? I find them invaluable when going up the mast and working reefs, the mainsail, etc. Im really not a fan of "lines to the cockpit" mostly.

Marty McOmber

Dec 5, 2016, 7:51:36 PM12/5/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
We have them on my 1985 P40.  They are great!

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Francisco Garuti <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

I searched around the group and found no mention or discussion of granny bars (or mast pulpit as some call them). Nobody has retrofitted some to their Passports? I find them invaluable when going up the mast and working reefs, the mainsail, etc. Im really not a fan of "lines to the cockpit" mostly.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Marty McOmber
Editor
Local boating news, community and resources for the Pacific Northwest

Follow us @

John Baudendistel

Dec 5, 2016, 7:52:49 PM12/5/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
Hi there.  The P42's all came with Mast push pits on both sides.  Heavy Duty 2" SS.  I love them.  Not sure which model you  have but likely a P40.

John

Dream Keeper
P42.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Francisco Garuti <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

I searched around the group and found no mention or discussion of granny bars (or mast pulpit as some call them). Nobody has retrofitted some to their Passports? I find them invaluable when going up the mast and working reefs, the mainsail, etc. Im really not a fan of "lines to the cockpit" mostly.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Thanks,

John Baudendistel

psherwood

Dec 5, 2016, 8:44:50 PM12/5/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
I inherited a set with my boat; I really like them and rely on them.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
San Carlos
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.

Francisco Garuti

Dec 5, 2016, 9:27:12 PM12/5/16
to Passport Owners

Yes, it's a Passpor 40 1985.

Could you guys share some photos on your granny bars? I would love to get some ideas. The P42 seems to be very similar around the mast area so that would also work.

John Baudendistel

Dec 6, 2016, 1:09:35 AM12/6/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
Sure.

Thanks
John

On Dec 5, 2016, at 6:27 PM, Francisco Garuti <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, it's a Passpor 40 1985.

Could you guys share some photos on your granny bars? I would love to get some ideas. The P42 seems to be very similar around the mast area so that would also work.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Ross Hoag

Dec 6, 2016, 1:50:20 PM12/6/16
to Passport Owners

Here is how mine is setup.

We find them very useful!

Ross

Pekina
Passport 41

Side Shot.jpg
Port Shot.jpg
Aft Shot.jpg

Kenyon Stewart

Dec 6, 2016, 2:44:32 PM12/6/16
to Ross Hoag, Passport Owners
Those look like the same ones on our 1984 47.  I would imagine that they were an option on all boats.  Remember, most of them were customized to some extent.  I wonder how many were built to a spec without owner customization.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

John Baudendistel

Dec 6, 2016, 4:05:26 PM12/6/16
to Kenyon Stewart, Ross Hoag, Passport Owners
Looks same as on the p42

Thanks
John Baudendistel

To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
For more options, go to
http://groups.google.com/group/PassportOwners?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Passport Owners" group.

Marty McOmber

Dec 9, 2016, 11:31:55 AM12/9/16
to John Baudendistel, Kenyon Stewart, Ross Hoag, Passport Owners
Yup, same as ours.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:05 PM, John Baudendistel <jo...@ets247.com> wrote:
Looks same as on the p42

Thanks
John Baudendistel

On Dec 6, 2016, at 11:44 AM, Kenyon Stewart <ken...@sailoutbound.com> wrote:

Those look like the same ones on our 1984 47.  I would imagine that they were an option on all boats.  Remember, most of them were customized to some extent.  I wonder how many were built to a spec without owner customization.
On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Ross Hoag <ross...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here is how mine is setup.

We find them very useful!

Ross

Pekina
Passport 41

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 9:27:12 PM UTC-5, Francisco Garuti wrote:

Yes, it's a Passpor 40 1985.

Could you guys share some photos on your granny bars? I would love to get some ideas. The P42 seems to be very similar around the mast area so that would also work.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Lou Mcfadden

Dec 22, 2016, 8:52:48 AM12/22/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
I also have a set on my 37 which look identical to the pics offered by Pekina.
Would hate to be without them even though all my lines run to cockpit...I still find that I'm at the mast on occasion in rough weather

On Dec 5, 2016 7:48 PM, "Francisco Garuti" <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

I searched around the group and found no mention or discussion of granny bars (or mast pulpit as some call them). Nobody has retrofitted some to their Passports? I find them invaluable when going up the mast and working reefs, the mainsail, etc. Im really not a fan of "lines to the cockpit" mostly.

Matthew Davidson

Dec 22, 2016, 1:46:51 PM12/22/16
to Passport Owners
We have the very same Granny bars as everyone else (see photo).
A source for getting a pair built is Whitewater Marine - See attached doc from thier web page

Matthew
White Water Marine - Granny Bars.pdf
20161022_154410.jpg

Rob Raymond

Dec 22, 2016, 2:03:29 PM12/22/16
to Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
These look like they would be a nice addition. Are they bolted through or would it be strong enough screw into epoxy plugs?

Matthew Davidson

Dec 23, 2016, 11:59:38 AM12/23/16
to Passport Owners, mat...@anteccorporation.com
Mine namged to be bolted through without pulling the headliner... except 1 bolt out of 18 points.

Really think you could mount G-10 blocks, drill and tap the bolcks and sikaflex 295 or Chemlink M-1 the feet down then screw in the bolts adn yo would be just fine.

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 6:27:12 PM UTC-8, Francisco Garuti wrote:

Yes, it's a Passpor 40 1985.

Could you guys share some photos on your granny bars? I would love to get some ideas. The P42 seems to be very similar around the mast area so that would also work.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

psherwood

Dec 23, 2016, 12:29:35 PM12/23/16
to Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
Was unaware of M-1. Looks like it could be good for sealing the deck
where the chainplates pass through. How does it stack up against 291 or
295 for adhesion to stainless steel? I see the technical literature
says, "certain applications or substrates may require a primer" but
doesn't specify what the primer should be. Anyone know?

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Seattle / San Carlos

On Fri 12/23/16 08:59, Matthew Davidson wrote:
> Really think you could mount G-10 blocks, drill and tap the bolcks and
> sikaflex 295 or Chemlink M-1 the feet down then screw in the bolts...

Matthew Davidson

Jan 16, 2017, 12:58:05 PM1/16/17
to Passport Owners, mat...@anteccorporation.com
I'm sticking with:
295 for deckmounted Hardware
291 for thru-Hull fittings
M-1 for all Wood to Fiberglass and Veining (which is what is best suited for.

FYI