gmail freezing or slow?

patelinator

Jan 11, 2009, 11:44:33 PM1/11/09
to Gmail-Users
my gmail has been going awfully slow recently, along with freezing my
browser (ie7) momentarily every time i click something within gmail
(inbox, trash, etc.). this issue occurs within the newer version of
gmail - it doesn't seem to occur with the older version. i don't want
to use the older version however; i like the newer version and want to
find out what the problem is. does anyone else have this problem?
does anyone know how to fix it?

Nick Chirchirillo

Jan 12, 2009, 10:48:24 AM1/12/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Try clearing your cache.  That solves a lot of problems similar to this.
--
-Nick

patelinator

Jan 12, 2009, 9:26:36 PM1/12/09
to Gmail-Users
that didn't work. I cleared my cache multiple times and the same
problem still happens. I don't know what's wrong.

Nick Chirchirillo

nick.p...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2009, 7:48:57 AM1/16/09
to Gmail-Users
I've been having same issue the last 3 days - i've cleared my cache &
tried Opera, Firefox and IE, with same slow response times - must be
on google end? i'm in Rochester, NY using TW RR.

Tex Johnson

Jan 16, 2009, 9:36:38 AM1/16/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I use Mozilla, and Google Chrome, and I too have bee having this Freezing Problem with g-mail.  It seems to occur most with Mozilla, and I keep getting a Freeze Screen with the Message, Mozilla Not Responding.  Very Frustrating.
Texy

Andrew Ingraham

Jan 19, 2009, 11:40:27 AM1/19/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
> I've been having same issue the last 3 days - i've cleared my cache &
> tried Opera, Firefox and IE, with same slow response times - must be
> on google end? i'm in Rochester, NY using TW RR.

Try a friend's computer. It might also be something running on yours that is
affecting all browsers.

Tex Johnson

Jan 19, 2009, 11:53:02 AM1/19/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Andrew:

I don't think so.  As I too continue to have this problem, although I only use Firefox and Google Chrome, and I have 4-Computers, and have tried different ones, and they all Lock-up and Freeze a lot on g-mail, so I too think it's a g-mail problem??
Texy,
Minneapolis, MN

Zack (Doc)

Jan 19, 2009, 12:01:00 PM1/19/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Tex,

Did you look at this thread?
http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Users/browse_frm/thread/443b651c869b3827?hl=en

It has a link you should be trying.
--

Sir Winston Churchill - "The reserve of modern assertions is
sometimes pushed to extremes, in which the fear of being...

Julie

Jan 19, 2009, 1:12:40 PM1/19/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried running a traceroute from your PC to the Gmail server.  If you are having the same problem with different browsers, it may be that one of the routers between you and Gmail has a problem.

A traceroute will show where the slow down is and then maybe you can contact the relevant people to have that router checked.

Julie

Tex Johnson

Jan 19, 2009, 3:52:56 PM1/19/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Julie:

How do you run a traceroute?
Texy

JohnW

Jan 20, 2009, 5:53:34 AM1/20/09
to Gmail-Users
Open a DOS box (Type Cmd in the Run box) and enter 'tracert' with the
IP address of the destination you're trying to reach.
.
Well you did ask!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Jan 19, 8:52 pm, "Tex Johnson" <tex...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Julie:
>
> How do you run a traceroute?
> Texy

Julie

Jan 21, 2009, 1:13:15 PM1/21/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Or you can install this add on if you are using ff... Broadband Speed
Test and Diagnostics 1.2.5

It gives you various tools.

Julie

contempt

Jan 26, 2009, 2:56:17 AM1/26/09
to Gmail-Users
I've been having same issue the last 2 days - i've cleared my cache &
tried Opera, Firefox ,IE and Chrome.All of them freeze when i try to
enter gmail ?
Whats happen ? Is there any virus to do this issue ?

Zack (Doc)

Jan 26, 2009, 8:25:14 AM1/26/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Have you also cleared your cookies? It's often not enough to clear
cache, but cookies must also be cleared.
--

George Best - "I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep."

Tex Johnson

Jan 26, 2009, 8:26:30 AM1/26/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
fyi:

I am still having this Freezing Problem with Firefox and Chrome, and
now I have encountered a New Problem with Only those Browsers, and
that problem is:

When I Click on g-mail after first starting my Computer and one of
those Browsers, I can Log in OK; however the Loading Bar on the Screen
is just up and Blank with the Loading Icon on, when I click to HTLM my
Messages come into Full Screen; but, when I click onto New Version it
goes back to Loading, and Blank. I have Cleared my Cache and when I
switch to Internet Explorer Browser, everything works as it should????
What has changed??
Thanks,
Texy

Tex Johnson

Jan 26, 2009, 10:12:58 AM1/26/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Julie:
I go to Control Settings and Clear both the Cookies and the Temporary
Internet Cache, is that where I need to do this?
Texy

Julie

Jan 26, 2009, 12:19:43 PM1/26/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Have you followed through the suggestions on this link and reported the problem?
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=80446&topic=14821

Julie

Sylvie Perron

Jan 26, 2009, 3:57:27 PM1/26/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
THANX  JULIE.... I'VE TRIED, WHAT YOU PROPOSED A LONG TIME AGO... AND HAVE BEEN DOING SO EVERY TIME I WANT TO GO TO GMAIL!

Jan 27, 2009, 10:32:02 AM1/27/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
 Hey  Julie.... Thank you... but I've been doing so for quite a while! Still don't know what to do! Kind regards! Sylvie

Jan 28, 2009, 11:29:13 AM1/28/09
to Gmail-Users
Have been having the same problems.. very slow or system completly
freezes. Tried all of the above with no luck, however when I disabled
the Google toolbar my entire system got a boost in performance. The
trade off for faster gmail and surfing is bad. I no longer have access
to any of the tools I use every day. Are there any particular things
I may be using in toobar that will slow things down?