A Call To Action

Anthony D'Isidoro

Sep 22, 2016, 11:03:02 PM9/22/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to forward to you a letter from Janice Hamilton, President, Jackson Mann Community School & Council, Inc.

I urge you to call and/or write your elected officials and the Allston Brighton District Liaison ASAP and express your outrage at this proposed dramatic change in operations at the BCYF/Jackson Mann Community Center.

The change is set to go into effect on October 1st

Please feel free to forward this appeal to other interested individuals and organizations. .

Tony D'Isidoro

Marty Walsh (ma...@cityofboston.gov);  (617) 635-4500

Mark Ciommo (mark....@cityofboston.gov);  (617) 635-3113

Annissa Essaibi George (a.e.g...@boston.gov)(617) 635-4376

Ayanna Pressley (ayanna....@cityofboston.gov);  (617) 635-4217

Michael Flaherty (michael.f...@boston.gov);  (617) 635-4205

Michelle Wu (miche...@boston.gov);  (617) 635-3115

Warren O’Reilly (warren....@boston.gov)(617) 635-2678

The following changes have been proposed by Boston Centers for Youth and Families that will directly impact the service and programming provided to the Allston/Brighton Community.  As of October 1st, BCYF plans to change the hours of operation of the BCYF/Jackson Mann Community Center from 7 am to 10 pm to 2 pm to 9 pm.  (This is a citywide change and will effect centers throughout the City of Boston)  BCYF states that this is an enhancement and a way to provide more direct service to the communities in the City of Boston ... Seeing that JMCC will be losing 8 hours per day of direct service to A/B community we cannot agree with their decision.  As the only community center in the A/B community, the second most densely populated in the COB this is unacceptable!  (Dorchester is most densely populated, has 5 centers, Roxbury has 5 centers, East Boston has 3 centers, etc).  We the council of Jackson Mann Community Center, a community center that was founded 40 years ago by the residents of Allston and Brighton find this unacceptable!  We are asking all friends, neighbors and residents of Allston and Brighton to contact the Mayors office, 617-635-4500 and our city Councilor Mark Ciommo at 617-635-3113 to deny this change in the hours of operation.

 The following programs will be grossly effected:

Preschool, serving families with children age 2.9 to 5 years old .. current hours of operation are from 7 am to 6 pm ..  Monday through Friday

Before-school, serving families with children age 5 to 12 years old .. current hours of operation are from 7 am to 9:20 am … Monday through Friday

School age programming.. serving families with children age 5 to 12 years old .. this program includes the after-school program and the Vacation Weeks and Summer program that runs from 8 am to 6 pm … Monday through Friday  ..

Adult Education Program .. this program includes English as a Second Language and GED programs for adults aged 18 and up .. program runs Mon – Thurs 9 am to 9 pm

Recreation Programs.. Run from 2 pm to 10 pm .. Monday through Friday and include Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, Karate

OUR PROGRAMS RUN 52 WEEKS OF THE YEAR AND OUR HOURS OF OPERATION WERE CREATED TO SERVE THE WORKING FAMILIES IN OUR COMMUNITY.

For the past 40 years there has been a terrific partnership between the Jackson Mann Community School & Council, Inc and The City of Boston (Boston Centers for Youth and Families) .. and BPS .. this has been a partnership that has worked in the deliverance of quality, licensed programming to the people of our community.  For the past 40 years, JMCC has been delivering quality services and evolved throughout those years to meet the needs of the people.... Many of the people fall within the low to no income bracket and depend upon this community center to provide service.

Jackson Mann Community Center fields constituent calls from 7 am till 10 pm ... 52 weeks of the year.  We work with residents of the community who walk through our doors and provide service and/or information regarding childcare, immigrant services, housing, education, neighborhood concerns and more .. 52 weeks of the year

I know for certain that the residents of Allston and Brighton will not accept this decision ... We worked hard to build this community center, we work hard to maintain it and to provide the best service to the people of our neighborhood.  We cannot compromise the service to our people and allow our community center to have the hours of operation diminished.

Please call City Hall today!  617-635-4500

Sincerely,

Janice Hamilton,

President

Jackson Mann Community School & Council, Inc.

Eva Webster

Sep 23, 2016, 6:08:39 AM9/23/16
to Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
Tony, thank you for posting this — I’m referring to your message below about damaging cuts to programs and services that are about to happen (starting  Oct. 1st) at the Jackson Mann Community Center (JMCC).

Why is the city doing this?  Cutting pre-school and after-school programs???  It’s mind-boggling. This is going to be devastating to working parents whose children are using those programs. As if life wasn’t hard enough for families around here. When you think that things cannot get worse, they do.  Maybe City Hall should officially declare A-B as a neighborhood where families are simply not welcome.

Money from all over the world is pouring into Boston — the city is going through an unprecedented building boom. No one in City Hall can complain that the economy is faltering, because it is not.  Our neighborhood is undergoing rapid densification — and yet some folks in City Hall think that cutting essential services to residents is a good idea. It makes no sense.

Does anyone know if the city budget, with detailed categories listed, is available on line?  It would be interesting to see how expenditures change from year to year.  When services to children and families get cut, which other categories benefit?

Councilor Mark Ciommo, who represents A-B on Boston City Council, is the Chair of the Council’s Ways and Means Committee.  As such, he knows very well why programs/services in Allston-Brighton’s only Community Center are about to be cut.  It would be nice if for once the Councilor could issue a statement explaining to his constituents what is going on and why.

The neighborhood is changing.  What do we want it to be? A neighborhood without families and services that support them is just a large student/worker dormitory. A-B residents need to start seriously organizing themselves — or that is what Allston-Brighton will become — a dormitory (that, and a landlords’ playground).

As Tony requested in his message — everyone please contact City Hall to express objection to cuts in programming at the JMCC.  If you are short on time, skip the Councilors at Large, and call or email just these three individuals:

Warren O’Reilly (warren....@boston.gov)(617) 635-2678

Anthony D'Isidoro

Sep 28, 2016, 9:12:44 AM9/28/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com

Hello Everyone,

I was an observer at last night's 159-201 Washington Street (St. Gabriel's) IAG Meeting.

During the group discussion regarding the condominium component being proposed by Cabot, Cabot & Forbes, 1501 Commonwealth Avenue was mentioned as a project of interest, not only to help gauge the condominium market in Brighton but to determine whether building additional condominium units over that being proposed would be economically feasible.

I would like to share with you the latest sales history for 1501 Commonwealth Avenue (attached) so that you have an opportunity to review prior to Thursday's public meeting.

I hope we have a big turnout Thursday for this very important project that could very well set the tone for future projects to come.

Tony D'Isidoro

P.S. I have forwarded a copy of the attachment to Michael Rooney at the BRA to share with the development team and IAG members.

159-201 Washington Street (St. Gabriel’s) Public Meeting

Boston Redevelopment Authority

Thursday, September 29, 2016, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm

On July 18, 2016 a Project Notification Form ("PNF") was submitted pursuant to Section 80B-5 of the Code by Cabot, Cabot & Forbes to the Boston Redevelopment Authority. The PNF describes the construction of 680 units of housing for young professionals, families, graduate students and other university affiliates such as residents, faculty and staff. The PNF also describes the rehabilitation of St. Gabriel's Monastery and a Shrine to Our Lady Fatima. The public comment period for the PNF ends on October 7, 2016. All comments should be submitted via the website form or to Michael Rooney at Michael...@Boston.gov.

Jackson Mann Community Center

500 Cambridge Street, Allston

Contact Email Address: Michael...@Boston.gov

1501 Commonwealth Ave Condos.pdf

Anthony D'Isidoro

Sep 28, 2016, 9:41:22 PM9/28/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com

Two Boston schools join the ranks of underperforming (James Vaznis, Boston Globe: September 26, 2016)

The state’s education commissioner declared two high schools in Boston and an elementary school in Fall River “underperforming” Monday, citing years of low state standardized test scores.

The designations mean that Brighton and Excel high schools in Boston and the Mary Fonseca Elementary School in Fall River will have to undergo major restructuring if they want to avoid state receivership in three years. Changes could include replacing teachers and administrators, lengthening the school day, and bringing in new instructional techniques.

During a press briefing, Mitchell Chester, the state commissioner of elementary and secondary education, called the low MCAS scores and graduation rates at Brighton and Excel “distressing.”

“Students are not getting the education that will prepare them well for success after high school,” Chester said.

Chester made the announcement as he released the latest round of standardized test scores for schools across the state, which showed stagnant results on the make-it-or-break-it 10th-grade exams that students must pass in order to graduate.

In English, 91 percent of 10th-graders scored proficient or higher, the same as last year. In math, 78 percent of students scored proficient or higher, a one percentage point drop from the previous year, while in science, scores rose one percentage point to 73 percent.

In a way, the day marked the end of an era for the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System. After 18 years of being a paper-and-pencil test, the state is moving the exams online next spring, starting with those for grades 3-8.

In preparation for that, nearly three-quarters of all students in those grades statewide tried out a different test this year, known as the PARCC, which is the inspiration for the new tests. Most of the students took those tests on the Web, while students at other schools stuck with the traditional MCAS.

Consequently, the state did not produce statewide results for students in grades 3-8 in English and math.

The new tests, nevertheless, generated controversy as a number of families seized upon the experiment to voice their opposition to standardized testing. Parents either refused to let their children take the tests or students opted out on their own.

Such protests played a role in Boston Latin School and the Roger Clap Innovation School sliding from the highly-desirable Level 1 status, under the state’s accountability status, to Level 2, according to Mayor Martin J. Walsh, who blasted Chester over the airwaves Monday for downgrading the schools’ ratings.

“It’s completely wrong,” Walsh told hosts on Boston Herald Radio.

Boston Latin Academy also dropped to Level 2 status, but the School Department chalked that up to students merely being absent and made no mention of testing protests.

Testing participation rates for all students as well as various demographic groups must be 95 percent or higher.

Carrie Weatherhead, a Dorchester mother, said she felt awful that her son was one of two students at the Clap who opted out of the tests. With only 29 Latino students being tested, that was enough for the tiny school’s participation rate to fall below the 95 percent threshold for that demographic group.

“I feel bad for the school because I feel like it’s my fault,” said Weatherhead.

She said the superintendent’s office and the school’s principal said the opt out would not hurt the school’s rating. If her son had known it would, she said, he would have taken the test.

Chester defended the decision to downgrade the schools, noting that state and federal law require the testing of students.

The Education Department downgraded 41 schools because of low test participation, but Chester said low participation had been a problem at some schools before the protests began, meaning other issues could be at play.

Boston school officials said in a statement they intend to appeal the lower designations.

Monday’s announcement included some bright spots. The state gave commendations to 49 schools for high achievement or for closing gaps in performance among students of different backgrounds. The list included the Mozart Elementary School in Roslindale and three schools in East Boston: the McKay K-8, Bradley Elementary, and Patrick Kennedy Elementary.

The Brooke Charter School in East Boston also received the same recognition.

The state also removed the “underperforming” designations from three schools: Bentley Academy Horace Mann Charter School in Salem, Spark Academy in Lawrence, and William DeBerry Elementary School in Springfield.

But given that the state declared three new schools underperforming, the number of schools carrying that designation statewide remains at 33.

And Chester said two of those schools — the Mattahunt Elementary in Mattapan and the High School of Commerce in Springfield — could go into receivership in a year if the districts cannot come up with plans to turnaround lackluster improvement efforts thus far. The state has taken that action at four other schools, including two in Boston, in recent years.

Springfield Superintendent Daniel Warwick expressed a willingness to work with the state on the review.

“We are eager to find new pathways to success to build on the gains that Commerce has experienced over the past couple of years,” Warwick said in a statement.

The Boston School Department said in a statement that it was awaiting the next steps from the state. It also said it would work closely with Brighton and Excel high schools to craft plans “that will rapidly accelerate the learning and achievement of their students.”

English High School in Jamaica Plain had been hoping to finally shed its underperforming designation this year, but Chester decided against the move. Although MCAS scores are higher than in many past years, the school’s graduation rate is barely above 50 percent.

“English High School deserves a lot of credit for the progress the school has made,” Chester said. “It’s in a much better place, but the challenge for me is the graduation rate remains low.

David Hall

Sep 29, 2016, 3:11:25 PM9/29/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Anthony...@msn.com, Michael...@boston.gov
Coincidentally, Unit 208 had a deed recorded today (book/page 56859/200). Tony's document

I'll also mention, Unit 407 sold on December 29 (book/page 55531/285), it is likely missing from Tony's document due to a misspelling on the part of the Suffolk Deeds, they spelled the address as "COMMMONWEALTH" with 3 M's, so it does not show up when you search for the property.

So, all the IDP units are now sold.

-David

Eva Webster

Sep 29, 2016, 5:01:14 PM9/29/16
to Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBrighton2006, Anthony...@msn.com, Michael...@boston.gov
I appreciate Tony’s data about condo sales, and David’s additional information — both of which prove that the market for condos in Brighton, just like in the rest of Boston, is undeniably very “hot”.

Some buyers want condo units for investment, but many others simply desire to have stable, long-term homes, so they can have a better quality of life — and they would rather make mortgage payments than turn over their hard-earned money to landlords, not to ever see that money again.

If the St. Gabriel’s project was all built as condos, followed by a competent marketing campaign (a “piece of cake”, given the project’s attractive/convenient location and spectacular views), all those condos would sell like hotcakes, and at prices that rival or exceed new construction condo prices in other Boston neighborhoods.

The only reason Allston-Brighton is getting hit with an excess of rental projects is that some developers are so wealthy that they don’t care about making profits in the short term — they want to build rental “cash cows” that will keep on giving for decades, and then when the buildings start needing major upgrades, they can be off-loaded to others who want to own cash cows too, but can’t afford new construction — or the units can be sold as mostly investment condos (the former rental buildings rarely, if ever, become majority owner-occupied — so the general transiency continues.)

Unless the rental market crashes severely (highly unlikely in our area, given the proximity of many large institutions/universities), holding on to rental properties for many years, especially if you own entire buildings, results in higher profits for developers/landlords than building & selling condos — but there is no question that ensuring availability of  homeownership is better for the neighborhood (and better for society at large, because it ensures wider wealth distribution).

Developers/landlords desire to create generational wealth for themselves and their families comes at huge price to our neighborhood (the negative impacts are too numerous to list here), and it also dooms the future of the many people who are forced to be renters for years and years, often all their lives, and end up with no assets whatsoever when they get older and their ability to pay ever-growing rents sharply diminishes.

To some of our politicians the answer to that problem is to use taxpayers money to build large subsidized elderly housing complexes for impoverished elders  – which results in age segregation, and takes funds away from other important needs, such as public transit, education, and healthcare.  No one seems to be connecting the dots that giving people a chance at homeownership early on prevents housing insecurity and poverty among the elderly.  Boston seems to be blind to the obvious need for creating long-term family housing/homeownership — and as a result will be contending with a huge elderly housing crisis in a few decades (so there will be more institutional housing displacing homeowners in neighborhoods, and the vicious circle will continue).

None of the developers who want to build large projects in Boston, rentals or condos, are automatically entitled to zoning accommodations that those projects require. The BRA project review process should be used to help create the kind of development that the area needs most — and in Allston-Brighton’s case that is high-quality, owner-occupied housing suitable for family/long-term living — because A-B is already predominantly transient, and getting more so when practically every project that is approved by the BRA is rentals.

The BRA (I keep using the legal name, because that’s what it is), and all elected officials who run for re-election on the platform of serving our neighborhood and its people, have the responsibility to help Allston-Brighton become less transient, and more balanced/stable in terms of homeownership.  Any politician who I believe is not honestly supporting this goal is unlikely to have my or my family’s vote.

Eva Webster

Anthony D'Isidoro

Sep 29, 2016, 11:08:32 PM9/29/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Michael...@boston.gov

Hi David,

Thank you very much for the update.

i appreciate it.

Tony

Sep 30, 2016, 9:33:36 AM9/30/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Michael...@boston.gov

Hello Everyone,

Just an FYI.

According to the latest MLSPIN listing for 1501 Commonwealth Ave, Brighton, dated 05/12/2016, out of 55 total units, 48 units were owner occupied.

Tony

Sep 30, 2016, 3:21:08 PM9/30/16
to cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBrighton2006, Michael...@boston.gov
Thanks Tony, That is encouraging information, because, as far as I know, there were no requirements for owner occupancy at 1501.  A similar ratio for about a total of 500 condo units at St. Gab's would work for me.  Can we get our elected officials to support us on what clearly a majority of those taking part in the St. Gab's process want--and have thoughtfully and intelligently expressed during the meetings?  Bob Pessek

Anthony D'Isidoro

Sep 30, 2016, 4:36:25 PM9/30/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Michael...@boston.gov

Hello Everyone,

More encouraging data:

Source MLSPIN: Brighton

300 Allston St (Monarch Condominium)

Year Built: 2002

Total Units: 83

Owner Occupied: 83

As of 08/17/2016

142 Bigelow St (Bigelow Court Condominium)

Year Built: 2006

Total Units: 26

Owner Occupied: 23

As of 06/01/2016

163-165 Chestnut Hill Ave (163-165 Chestnut Hill Condominium)

Year Built: 2003

Total Units: 36

Owner Occupied: 32

As of 05/19/2016

2400 Beacon St (Waterworks Condominium)

Year Built: 2007

Total Units: 112

Owner Occupied: 110

As of 03/25/2016

Tony

Oct 3, 2016, 7:53:18 AM10/3/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Michael...@boston.gov

Hello Everyone,

My thanks to Abby Furey for bringing to my attention 99 Chestnut Hill Ave, Brighton which was a gut renovation of an existing nursing home.

Tony

99 Chestnut Hill Ave (Chestnut Hill Park Condominium)

Year Built: 1924 (2005)

Total Units: 47

Owner Occupied: 40

As of 06/15/2013

Oct 3, 2016, 11:09:28 AM10/3/16
to Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBrighton2006, Michael...@boston.gov
Tony — but how can we find out the number of RENTAL projects/units in A-B that were permitted from 2000 to 2008, and after 2008 (including those currently in the pipeline)?  It would be interesting to see data for that — as I believe it would illustrate the point that A-B is getting mostly rental/transient housing at the expense of homeownership.

It would be equally interesting to compare A-B with respect to rentals vis-a-vis homeownership creation with other neighborhoods.  Does the BRA have a list of all projects it has approved in A-B (and also across Boston) since 2008, broken down by rentals vs. condos?

Anthony D'Isidoro

Oct 3, 2016, 1:08:48 PM10/3/16
to Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBrighton2006, Michael...@boston.gov

Eva,

If you're interested in total number of rental units, new construction for mid-size to large projects from 2000 on in Allston Brighton, the most efficient way of doing that would be to see if the BRA can generate a report for you from its archives.  If not,  you would have to review the minutes of the monthly BRA Board meetings to see which projects got approved and then confirm they were permitted.  The BRA maintains Board minutes on-line from 2007-present.  I suspect if you need to go further back, you might have to pay a visit to Boston City Hall.

As to condominiums, new construction for mid-size to large projects from 2000 on in Allston Brighton, unless someone comes forward with any other projects I have missed, there has only been 6 projects in Brighton and 1 in Allston.  The unit counts for those are found below in previous emails.

Tony

Oct 11, 2016, 9:03:32 PM10/11/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Michael...@boston.gov

Hello Everyone,

Since its approval in December, 2011, there have been mixed signals regarding the 20 Penniman Road, Allston condominium project.  People were wondering if the developer was considering submitting a project change notification to rental units or whether the project would be built at all.

I'm pleased to inform you that I bumped into the developer this evening and the project will proceed as approved (a total of 36 condominium units which will include 6 affordable units).  Construction will begin shortly.  This project is significant in its location and the effect it could have on a number of projects being planned for that neighborhood.

I have included a link to a memorandum that will refresh your memory on the particulars of the project.

Tony

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/a635f688-0c80-49ec-8e5b-0168b3c7e1b0